C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 Ammeter Gauge pegged to the left (-)??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 04:51 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Default 67 Ammeter Gauge pegged to the left (-)??

This just happened...it used to work fine...now it's totally pegged to the left and doesn't move.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Frank
Old 07-07-2015, 07:08 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

First and quickest check I always do is a multimeter across the battery with the car running. If you see 13.8V to about 14.2V the alternator/regulator are prob OK and you have gauge problems; if less then you have alternator/regulator problems...and you can go from there...
Old 07-07-2015, 08:50 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Frankie,

Thanks for your time.

I checked at the back of the alternator and I have 13.9-14.2 ish...I bought another ammeter gauge from Zip the other day but haven't done the swap. I thought I might try connect disconnect the old ammeter gauge and connect the new ammeter gauge (loose) and see if the new gauge works....before I tear out the whole cluster...

While we are on this topic:

I have been experiencing a couple electrical anomalies: I have had symptoms that appear as though one of the bulkhead connectors (all new wiring) is not making good contact...for example, I will be driving and the whole car will go dead for a split second and then come back to life...it happened Sunday and the car lurched when it came back up as I was in the gas...tires squealed...the whole car jerked...this has happened a couple times recently and I thought it might be stumbling through the carb but its definitely going dead for a split second and coming back to life. Last night I moved it and when I went to start it, I got nothing...that was when I started checking all the connections...when I tried again it cranked as usual. I even jiggled the bulk head connectors while the car was running and I couldn't replicate the issue.

Another anomaly: when I turn the key to "on" the electric fuel pump will start for about 2 seconds and quit...when I turn the key to "off" the electric fuel pump will kick on for about 2 seconds. Its kind of bizarre...that is why I was eyeballing the ignition switch. It did this last night.

Could my ignition switch be going bad? I don't know much about the ignition switches...Could the contacts be worn out? Its original.

Cheers,

Frank

Last edited by Crunch527; 07-07-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well -- its clearly an intermittent electrical problem...could be ignition circuitry or main circuits passing through the bulkhead. Its pretty easy for a bulkhead connector to get pushed in and not make contact. My '63 had an intermittent issue in this regard.

One way to isolate the problem is to take your next drive with the headlights on; if you have the problem and the headlights blink out its a main power connection; if they stray on it could well be ignition. Likewise, if the car won't start turn on your parking lights and see if you have main power...don't do the headlights in this case as the 'bump' when the doors come open could make the connection you are trying to isolate...

Not sure if the fuel pump issue is related or not...most do cycle when the ignition is turned on...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-07-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:04 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Frank, In your electrical anomalies description, "the whole car will go dead for a split second" is exactly what I have experienced three times this summer. I gauged it as a nano-second. It happened each time after a long period of driving, at or more than 45 min. I have not chased after this yet, but thought it could be tied to my engine kill system or my coil going bad. Now I'll look at the bulkhead connector. Dennis
Old 07-07-2015, 05:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Its pretty easy to do some PM on the bulkhead connectors. Just pull them apart and look for any green corrosion, gunk, bent/pushed in pins, etc.. I took a .22 cal brass cleaning brush and scrubbed the connectors on both plugs at the firewall and inside the harness connectors (don't leave any stray strands of brass!). Followed by some spraying with electrical contact cleaner.

Then corrected some pushed in pin issues and coated things with dielectric grease and firmly reattached the connectors.

Of course, disconnect the battery before doing all this !!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Its pretty easy to do some PM on the bulkhead connectors. Just pull them apart and look for any green corrosion, gunk, bent/pushed in pins, etc.. I took a .22 cal brass cleaning brush and scrubbed the connectors on both plugs at the firewall and inside the harness connectors (don't leave any stray strands of brass!). Followed by some spraying with electrical contact cleaner.

Then corrected some pushed in pin issues and coated things with dielectric grease and firmly reattached the connectors.

Of course, disconnect the battery before doing all this !!!!!!!
Also, looked for overheated components. Precursors to a potential fire.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:01 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Crunch527
This just happened...it used to work fine...now it's totally pegged to the left and doesn't move.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Frank
There are two wires from the battery gauge (it's not an ammeter); one goes to the horn relay buss bar, and the other one goes to the big battery cable stud on the starter solenoid. One of those two wires has broken or has a terminal loose or pushed out in the bulkhead connector.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Ok. I had a loose connection on the starter last week...the wires were sparking when I would crank the car...could that condition possibly damage the battery gauge? I noticed the gauge being "out" about the same time.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 07-07-2015, 09:26 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,161 Likes on 486 Posts

Actually, it seems that if one wire became disconnected or had a dirty terminal, the gauge would show "0" and not full negative. You need to complete the circuit to get movement.

It seems like to get a full negative, you would short one of the wires to ground, such as when you caused the spark.

So, yes, you may well have burnt out the gauge due to a short. Such a short could burn out the wiring and even burn down the car.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:33 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Originally Posted by toddalin
Actually, it seems that if one wire became disconnected or had a dirty terminal, the gauge would show "0" and not full negative. You need to complete the circuit to get movement.

It seems like to get a full negative, you would short one of the wires to ground, such as when you caused the spark.

So, yes, you may well have burnt out the gauge due to a short. Such a short could burn out the wiring and even burn down the car.
Man that would have sucked...all new wiring harnesses and because a starter wiring bolt works loose the car goes up in flames? Sheesh...I guess I am lucky. I have anew gauge, I may try hook it up temporarily and see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks!

Frank
Old 07-07-2015, 10:19 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

I was just out fiddling with the old battery gauge...it still works...seems the needle is out of adjustment (I know there isn't an adjustment)...just seems weird. Oh, plenty of power getting to the switch. I also hooked up a new gauge and it works, so there is power through the wiring.

Enough for the night.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 07-08-2015, 12:08 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 96 Posts

Both leads to the battery gauge have fusible links. Check them for continuity as well. Sounds like one side of the 2 feeds to the guage is faulty. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:36 PM
Kuhn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying fix my battery guage in my 67 corvette.Could someone tell me (or a photo) where the horn relay buss bar is located.
Thanks
Kuhn
Old 09-26-2015, 07:41 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhn
I am trying fix my battery guage in my 67 corvette.Could someone tell me (or a photo) where the horn relay buss bar is located.
Thanks
Kuhn
It's in the left front corner of the engine compartment, screwed to the back side of the radiator support - see photo below. The buss bar is the part with the two fillister head screws.
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2015, 07:48 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
There are two wires from the battery gauge (it's not an ammeter); one goes to the horn relay buss bar, and the other one goes to the big battery cable stud on the starter solenoid. One of those two wires has broken or has a terminal loose or pushed out in the bulkhead connector.
I wonder if 427/435 and his buddy are reading this?
Old 09-26-2015, 08:14 PM
Kuhn
Advanced

Thanks for the photo of the horn relay buss bar. Do you have a photo of the big battery cable stud on the starter solenoid (where the other wire is connected)
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Ammeter Gauge pegged to the left (-)??

Old 09-26-2015, 08:20 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhn
Thanks for the photo of the horn relay buss bar. Do you have a photo of the big battery cable stud on the starter solenoid (where the other wire is connected)
Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Kuhn (09-26-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 08:25 PM
Kuhn
Advanced

Thanks for the photos ( they are very helpful )
Kuhn
Old 09-27-2015, 07:53 AM
Jim_C
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Crunch527
Ok. I had a loose connection on the starter last week...the wires were sparking when I would crank the car...could that condition possibly damage the battery gauge? I noticed the gauge being "out" about the same time.

Cheers,

Frank

Frank
The battery gauge measures very small voltage drop across a shunt. The shunt is the #10 wire running from the starter to the horn relay. If you had some sparking at the starter perhaps the shunt momentarily opened while the wires to the battery gauge remained connected. This would have put full 12 volts across the battery gauge. If this went on very long the gauge would surely burn out. But if it was short duration, "spark", the gauge would deflect really, really fast. The pointer would hit the limit pin and might have spun on the shaft. Perhaps you got lucky and just need to reposition the pointer.
CUL Jim

Quick Reply: 67 Ammeter Gauge pegged to the left (-)??