C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 calipers lip or o-ring seal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 05:26 PM
c2427
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1966 calipers lip or o-ring seal?

Was needing replace the calipers that are on my car that have been sitting awhile. Just need feedback on lip seal vs o-ring seal.

Thx CF
Old 07-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Velox
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by c2427
Was needing replace the calipers that are on my car that have been sitting awhile. Just need feedback on lip seal vs o-ring seal.
Well this is one of those many many opinions questions and if you search through the data here and at NCRS.org you will find numerous threads. I will get my feet wet and tell you I recommend O-ring calipers. The lip seal folks will be along real soon to add in. The O-ring people will talk about leak-free, easier maintenance, best for cars that are only occasionally driven etc. Try the search function and be prepared to do a lot of reading
Old 07-07-2015, 06:08 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

just flip a coin
Old 07-07-2015, 06:18 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I had two lip seal calipers leaking, so I replaced all of my calipers with oring.about four years ago. I have had no leaks since, and I noticed a nice firm pedal with orings. I would never go back to lip seals. By the way, Corvette Stainless Steel & Brakes(CSSB), doesn't even sell lip seal calipers any longer.....that should tell you something.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:14 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

No coin flip here...I've seen too many lip seal piston failures. Like 65 Vette Dude would never go back to lip seal. The O ring technology while I will stop short saying is superior haven't had a O ring failure in 4 years since converting 2 cars. Dot 5 brake fluid is the 'baum diggity' as well.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:35 AM
c2427
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's clear everyone prefers the O-ring.

Now what about suppliers?

Thx Mike
Old 07-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default O-ring

I have done about a half dozen O-ring conversions and have used Vette Brakes and Products in St. Pete, FL for parts. They are local for me. The kits I purchased cost me about $150 and include all O-rings, seals, pistons etc. It goes without saying that it is best to have the calipers sleeved in stainless steel first. Jerry
Old 07-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
I have done about a half dozen O-ring conversions and have used Vette Brakes and Products in St. Pete, FL for parts. They are local for me. The kits I purchased cost me about $150 and include all O-rings, seals, pistons etc. It goes without saying that it is best to have the calipers sleeved in stainless steel first. Jerry
Other good suppliers are Lone Star Caliper in Texas and CSSB Inc in Florida.

You can't go wrong with any of these three.

Larry
Old 07-08-2015, 04:38 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by c2427
It's clear everyone prefers the O-ring.

Now what about suppliers?

Thx Mike
Lone Star is a major supplier to most of the vette vendors, and they are a stand up company, who stands behind their products. I can also recommend Corvette Stainless Steel and Brakes. They were very helpful with a brake problem I had. Both sell high quality products.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:34 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
Lone Star is a major supplier to most of the vette vendors, and they are a stand up company, who stands behind their products. I can also recommend Corvette Stainless Steel and Brakes. They were very helpful with a brake problem I had. Both sell high quality products.

65 Vette Dude speaks the truth regarding Lone Star. I've seen Ken McCormick and company in action with a issue I had a few years ago. He (they) handle it w/o blinking.

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 calipers lip or o-ring seal?

Quick Reply: 1966 calipers lip or o-ring seal?