C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

327 340 hp bad rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 11:19 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 821 Posts

Somewhere close to 15.5 quarts. Short of 4 gallons. 50% should be antifreeze or 2 gallons max.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Between the anti-freeze over charge and the engine issues; I don't know how these guys claim to have been in business "30 years" according to their web site. As mentioned above, if you can't rebuild a small block Chevy you should go back to basket weaving.

The trouble with small claims court is that you may get an equitable settlement (maybe) but you might NEVER see the money. Tons of such awards never get paid or get negotiated down to a fraction of what was awarded.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-11-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:50 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,644 Likes on 1,973 Posts

If you can get the engine out of his shop successfully, you need to find a truly reputable engine builder and get it to him for a full diagnosis of what went wrong. Tell him up front that you need him to give you a full failure report for a lawsuit, maybe even testify.

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:57 AM
Spike66
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
If you can get the engine out of his shop successfully, you need to find a truly reputable engine builder and get it to him for a full diagnosis of what went wrong. Tell him up front that you need him to give you a full failure report for a lawsuit, maybe even testify.

Good luck.
Get it out of there first before choosing the nuclear option. Once your engine is elsewhere, drop the bomb.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:09 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike66
Get it out of there first before choosing the nuclear option. Once your engine is elsewhere, drop the bomb.
True
Old 07-11-2015, 07:16 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,561 Likes on 3,019 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 1963Corvette
What would it hold?
Your estimate of 16 quarts is in the right ballpark. The exact capacity should be listed in the owner's manual.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:30 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

What would it hold?
Two gallons will get you to around -25*F.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:30 PM
project63
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

So do you think that not matching those components could cause the problem?
Yes... If the valve is not correctly seated (floating) when the piston is at top dead center (TDC), a collision may occur between the piston and valve.

Find out what was used and get a receipt with part numbers. Do not tip your hand when asking for this information.

tc
Old 07-11-2015, 05:18 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,152 Likes on 1,037 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
...the trouble with small claims court is that you may get an equitable settlement (maybe) but you might NEVER see the money. Tons of such awards never get paid or get negotiated down to a fraction of what was awarded.
That is true of many small claims actions but this is something else. Most states have the equivalent of a Mass 93-A action, unfair and deceptive trade practices. I wouldn't doubt Michigan has something similar. A Judgement for the OP is eminently obtainable and enforceable. You can lien or execute a judgement against the shops assets. I've done it. I once had seized the bank account and associated debit cards from a guy who owed me money on a leasing commission (that as the statute of frauds requires, was in writing). My lawyer pulled it off the day before Christmas as his wife is trying to buy presents. I was promptly paid in full including my costs.

I don't get beat, no one should, the OP included.

Dan

Last edited by dplotkin; 07-11-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:27 AM
1963Corvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DansYellow66

Good luck.

Thank you for all the great advise everyone. We got the car back from the Auto Dr Marine City Hwy 48023, Dustin refused to re-assemble anything & handed my wife & son my engine in boxes. What an ***! He said he will also hide behind the engine shops, findings that I caused the engine failure by driving the car. So I paid for a flatbed and brought it home.

Can anyone recommend a good, honest engine mechanic in my area that can look at the engine & parts and determine what caused the engine failure & document it? It's going to be hard to trust another auto mechanic ever again.

I live approximately 35 miles north of Detroit & 30 miles south of Port Huron.

Please anyone in our area, take note of these business & stay clear of them.

Thanks again for all of the reply's, you're a great bunch.

Last edited by 1963Corvette; 11-24-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by dplotkin
That is true of many small claims actions but this is something else. Most states have the equivalent of a Mass 93-A action, unfair and deceptive trade practices. I wouldn't doubt Michigan has something similar. A Judgement for the OP is eminently obtainable and enforceable. You can lien or execute a judgement against the shops assets. I've done it. I once had seized the bank account and associated debit cards from a guy who owed me money on a leasing commission (that as the statute of frauds requires, was in writing). My lawyer pulled it off the day before Christmas as his wife is trying to buy presents. I was promptly paid in full including my costs.

I don't get beat, no one should, the OP included.

Dan
I didn't say the OP shouldn't take a shot but he should have reasonable expectations.
I know of one case years ago where the shop sold its assets to a friend prior to a judgement and they were untouchable and the fella just declared bankruptcy and kept using the equipment under another name and nothing ever came of it.

Anyone can get beat...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-14-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:09 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

This kind of thing makes me sick. I'm just sorry to read about your troubles.

A friend once told the local BMW shop- you honor my warranty or I'm going to put a professionally lettered sign on my car "ask me about _____ and warranty" and his phone number. They fixed it.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:13 AM
1963Corvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
This kind of thing makes me sick. I'm just sorry to read about your troubles.

A friend once told the local BMW shop- you honor my warranty or I'm going to put a professionally lettered sign on my car "ask me about _____ and warranty" and his phone number. They fixed it.
We threatened legal action, told him we would contact the news & picket his business. No reaction
Old 07-14-2015, 10:42 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Thank you for all the great advise everyone. We got the car back from the Auto Dr Marine City Hwy 48023, Dustin refused to re-assemble anything & handed my wife & son my engine in boxes. What an ***! He said he will also hide behind Larry from St Clair Engine in Richmond, MI's findings that I caused the engine failure by driving the car. So I paid for a flatbed and brought it home.

Can anyone recommend a good, honest engine mechanic in my area that can look at the engine & parts and determine what caused the engine failure & document it? It's going to be hard to trust another auto mechanic ever again.

I live approximately 35 miles north of Detroit & 30 miles south of Port Huron.

Please anyone in our area, take note of these business & stay clear of them.

Thanks again for all of the reply's, you're a great bunch.
I live in the Bloomfield area in Michigan. I have Rick Parks help me whenever I have issues with my 67 435. Rick will travel to you to help you with what you need. His number is 586-242-4065. I trust his judgment.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:51 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,475 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

OMG, what a sorry mess. I hope you get this resolved. Dennis
Old 07-14-2015, 11:15 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 821 Posts

Back in the day I was involved with my customers that supplied Thousands of engines every month. About once or twice per year one would end up in a court case.
What I found was that the Judge never understood anything mechanical and even with very solid proof that our customer abused the engine to death the judge would side with the customer not the shop owner. This was in California, other states may differ.
I could show that the customer who installed and started the engine had a bad tune, burned two pistons and ruined the engine and the Judge would make us pay. The only time this did not happen was if the Judge could sniff out that the accuser was lying.

In your case the engine builder and installer need to both be brought into the case. One did a bad job and you are stuck with the bad results. From reading your story it sounds like the installation shop did not know how to fix a bad camshaft and then did not know how to properly install and tune your new engine. They gave you the keys and told you it was ready to go. They were very wrong.
Document everything.
If your engine did have a vacuum leak that was not repaired it could have caused a lean burn in one cylinder. A lean cylinder will run very hot and could very easily have stuck a valve causing your problem but that is just one of many possible causes.
Do a quick investigation to see if you are chasing someone with money that could pay if they lose or if you are chasing a schmuck that has nothing to go after before you sue.
As others mentioned it does no good to win if they won't or can't pay.

If you end up trying a new shop to fix this engine explain the situation in advance, insist on pictures and document every repair and the reason for it. Also document the original Engine information and potential loss of value if this can't be fixed.

In the interim you might want to find a good running 327 or 350 used and drop it in to enjoy a little bit of ownership. You can always sell the car with the original engine sitting on a crate as part of the package.

I had to sue a tow truck company once. They towed my car as we attended an event. I missed a sign stating you needed a permit to park in the spot I was in. The tow truck company broke my rear bumper brackets and the bumper hit and damaged the body.
I documented, sued, won, but never collected a dime. It was a flaky tow truck company that changed names, phone numbers and moved on to hide from the judgment so determine if they have assets first before getting a lawyer.

A engine swap on one of these could be done in 5 hours if there are no complications or match issues. If you could supply cold beer and grill some food up I bet a engine swap party could be arranged to get you running again.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:57 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,359 Likes on 2,787 Posts

You should post a thread in the Transactions Feedback section with a shorter, condensed, clear version of the facts.

Not for a discussion about the repairs or how to proceed legally as in this thread, but as a report of your version of the transaction.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 08-06-2015 at 11:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 327 340 hp bad rebuild?

Old 07-14-2015, 12:01 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Man......I hate reading threads like this. This really makes me mad, and it didn't even happen to me. I have not used this lawyer, but he is a car guy, and he does represent auto related problems. I saw his ad in Driveline magazine......http://www.shawlaws.com/ I hope things work out for you.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:01 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,359 Likes on 2,787 Posts

We threatened legal action, told him we would contact the news & picket his business. No reaction
IMO, threatening to call the news or picket will be laughed off and ignored. His aggressive blaming of you from the beginning says he's intimidated unhappy customers before. And been successful.

Find an attorney who is willing to formally contact the guy with an intent to sue for damages. If your engine was the original, have the attoney sue for "diminished value" of the vehicle that can never be recovered.

You might not win, but you might get your money's worth.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:12 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I am hoping some of our MI boys have either contacted you or sent you a PM. Somebody must must know a lawyer that is a car guy who would could help out. For you to win in court you will need someone who will qualify as an expert in the eyes of the court. You must prove these shops are liable as well as prove all damages. Some states do allow double or trible damages on property damage claims. The process in your lower court is not that difficult and non represented plaintiffs can win. If you get into trouble in court you can always ask for a continuence. In most states, if you win a judgement, the defendant has a set amount of time to file an appeal to your higher court. You will most likely need a lawyer at this point. Once you get a judgement you can place a lein against the business. You can also go to the city and state and ask for their business license to be revoked.

Try going to your Court House and talk to the Clerk of Courts. They can explain the process to you and help you with some of the basics. The cost in your lower court to file is probably under $100. Once your get a suit filed the defendant may want to settle out of court. I am not giving you legal advice, just suggestions. Some of the terms I have used may not be correct for MI as all states are different. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 327 340 hp bad rebuild?