C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

60 C1 - Side spears fitment on a new front clip

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 06:25 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Default 60 C1 - Side spears fitment on a new front clip

I've replaced my front clip and there are no holes or markings for where the spears need to go. Does anyone have any suggestions or templates or best practice for ensuring the are fitted correctly by correct positioning of the elongated holes to the side of the coves and holes to the front of the coves?

Thanks in advance
Mick
Old 07-14-2015, 08:57 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

bump
Old 07-15-2015, 02:26 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Best I can do - not near the car right now...this is PS of a '61...original car...note front spear holes are slotted.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-15-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:26 AM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Why not call the guy who sold you the front clip?
Old 07-17-2015, 07:07 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by desertpilgrim
Why not call the guy who sold you the front clip?
Yep, I might try that
Old 07-17-2015, 07:09 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Best I can do - not near the car right now...this is PS of a '61...original car...note front spear holes are slotted.
Thanks FTF, any help you give is always appreciated
Old 07-17-2015, 09:20 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How hard would it be to make a card board piece fit in the cove. Using your old take off parts ( some of the scrap should have enough left to spot the holes ) trace and drill. If your car didn't have the front clip attached... time to let your fingers do the walking.
Measure the spears, measure the attaching points on the spears. No rocket science here. There are only three to fit in the opening.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:14 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
How hard would it be to make a card board piece fit in the cove. Using your old take off parts ( some of the scrap should have enough left to spot the holes ) trace and drill. If your car didn't have the front clip attached... time to let your fingers do the walking.
Measure the spears, measure the attaching points on the spears. No rocket science here. There are only three to fit in the opening.
YES, that would be a good idea but I didn't do this before I sold off the parts because the spears on that part were all over the place .... on slight angles and uneven as that 'original' front clip had been partially replaced and grafted at that location and I didn't feel that I could trust the original markings or holes. It was a hand laid up clip from way back!
Old 07-18-2015, 06:29 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

It appears to me from the AIM that the vertical, black backing piece that is tucked inside the cove may have three holes for the forward-pointing stud for the spears already in them (see red arrows). If that's true you should be able to measure that and draw a level, horizontal line from each of those holes rearward and hold the spear with the forward facing pin in the hole with the other pins pointing upward and get their location along that line. Drill a couple of holes to create a 'slot' at those points and that should work.....right ?

Be careful as EVERY spear is different...each of the 6 goes in a SPECIFIC spot.....
I mark such things on the back of the piece with a sharpee; e.g "PS UPR", "DS CTR", "PS LWR", etc...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-18-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:39 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
It appears to me from the AIM that the vertical, black backing piece that is tucked inside the cove may have three holes for the forward-pointing stud for the spears already in them (see red arrows). If that's true you should be able to measure that and draw a level, horizontal line from each of those holes rearward and hold the spear with the forward facing pin in the hole with the other pins pointing upward and get their location along that line. Drill a couple of holes to create a 'slot' at those points and that should work.....right ?

Be careful as EVERY spear is different...each of the 6 goes in a SPECIFIC spot.....
I mark such things on the back of the piece with a sharpee; e.g "PS UPR", "DS CTR", "PS LWR", etc...
Yes, you could be right, I'm still waiting for those front black backing pieces from ZIP. I got the new spears (came by air as were on back order) but the black pieces are coming by ship as part of a larger order which should be here soon. Interestingly it states that some of the pins on the spears are oversize as the original moulds has been repaired a number of times and that the speed nuts will need to be modified..... can't believe they are still the original moulds.

Get notified of new replies

To 60 C1 - Side spears fitment on a new front clip

Quick Reply: 60 C1 - Side spears fitment on a new front clip