C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Desert Dash - C2 Road Trip in the Southwest

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 04:11 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Desert Dash - C2 Road Trip in the Southwest

Each year some of the finest people I know hop into their midyear Corvettes and embark on a tour of someplace exotic, or at least interesting. Even if not interesting, they find ways to make it fun.

October will see the start of our trip through parts of Arizona and southern New Mexico. We'll gather in Flagstaff on the 17th for our kick-off celebration and wind it up in Alamogordo, NM on the 29th.

As always, an invitation is extended to Forum members and others that may be adventurous enough to take a C2 out on the road to travel with a bunch of complete strangers. After all, that's how we all met back in 2008, staring suspiciously at each other over a long breakfast table in Chicago prior to the start of our Route 66 excursion. Eighteen days later we were saying tearful good-byes on the Santa Monica Pier and vowing to do it again and again.

And so we have, traveling the entire Pacific Coast, the length of the Mississippi River, taking day trips from a rented 15,000 sq ft party house near Lake Tahoe, touring parts of the Great Lakes around Michigan and enduring buckets of rain on last year's Dixie Dash tour through the Southeast.

Interested in learning more about this trip? PM me with an e-mail address and I'll share an abbreviated version of our itinerary with you.

Last edited by CaveCreekChump; 07-21-2015 at 11:36 PM. Reason: A hyper-critical message from Mossey66
Old 07-21-2015, 04:34 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I enjoyed your posts from your trip last year. This past May I spent 10 days in AZ. What a beautiful state. The roads are great the sights are breath taking. I just happened to run in to the Fun Run down Rt 66. Here are some pictures I took. Have fun and we like lots of pictures.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:03 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by CaveCreekChump
Each year some of the finest people I know hop into their midyear Corvettes and embark on a tour of someplace exotic, or at least interesting. Even if not interesting, they find ways to make it fun.

October will see the start of our trip through parts of Arizona and southern New Mexico. We'll gather in Flagstaff on the 17th for our kick-off celebration and wind it up in Alamogordo, NM on the 29th.

As always, an invitation is extended to Forum members and others that may be adventurous enough to take a C2 out on the road to travel with a bunch of complete strangers. After all, that's how we all met back in 2008, staring suspiciously at each other over a long breakfast table in Chicago prior to the start of our Route 66 excursion. Eighteen days later we were saying tearful "good-byes" on the Santa Monica Pier and vowing to do it again and again.

And so we have, traveling the entire Pacific Coast, the length of the Mississippi River, taking day trips from a rented 15,000 sq ft party house near Lake Tahoe, touring parts of the Great Lakes around Michigan and enduring buckets of rain on last year's Dixie Dash tour through the Southeast.

Interested in learning more about this trip? PM me with an e-mail address and I'll share an abbreviated version of our itinerary with you.
That's all well and good, but the real reason to go is to be able to acquire the ultra exclusive serial numbered commemorative T- shirt that is available for purchase in the gift shop! (while supplies last!)

Long time members of the Forum might remember some of the trip reports, dating back to 2008. I have been noticing newer Forum names lately, so I am providing links to the Corvette Forum threads for each trip. Read them if you wish. Or scroll down through the pictures. Consider joining up with us. If not for the whole trip, maybe join us for a day or two. (We'll still sell you the T-shirt)

Here is Roy's thread about the Rt 66 cruise in 2008. This was the event that started it all.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...66-cruise.html

The next year was the Pacific Coast tour.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...san-diego.html

In 2011 it was the great river road.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iver-road.html

2012 was Tahoe.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-new-name.html

2014 was the "Dixie Dash".
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...september.html

Mrs. Mossy66 and I are looking forward to another awesome road trip!

Gerry

Last edited by Mossy66; 07-21-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:19 AM
TexVette66
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Mrs. TexVette66 and her helper are read, set and waiting on go!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:55 PM
Craftsman51
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 67 Coupe is still under restoration but should be complete by the end of the year. Hope to join the group for next year's trip.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:07 PM
JLSmith
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 42 Posts

PM sent. Sounds like fun.
- Jeff
Old 07-24-2015, 11:08 AM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JLSmith
PM sent. Sounds like fun.
- Jeff
Our itinerary is on its way to you.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:03 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

You guys are the best! I want to do the New England leg with you. My car WILL be done by your trip this year but I'll postpone attending one that has a start so far from me.

I think my lovely PA wife will enjoy the trips to come.

Benton
Old 07-25-2015, 01:17 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
You guys are the best! I want to do the New England leg with you. My car WILL be done by your trip this year but I'll postpone attending one that has a start so far from me.

I think my lovely PA wife will enjoy the trips to come.

Benton
Benton, we are all very glad to hear that your car is on the road to recovery. Your situation has been a topic of some discussion whenever a few of us have gotten together.

It has been the fear of traffic congestion that has kept us away from New England, although there has been considerable interest expressed in going there one day. Mrs. CaveCreekChump often reminds me of my 35 year old pledge to squire her around Boston.

On the other hand, persuading your wife to come along would be a strong incentive to find a solution to that problem. Perhaps a highly motivated Mr. & Mrs. ChattanoogaJSB could be persuaded to step up and plan such a trip for us, hmmmm?

Keep your thinking cap on!
Old 07-25-2015, 03:32 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Sounds like fun. Nothing better than ''driving'' the Corvette and seeing our beautiful country.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:10 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

We are good to go. Come along and enjoy the beauty of the desert.
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2015, 03:11 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Originally Posted by 67-427ci
We are good to go. Come along and enjoy the beauty of the desert.
Wish I was with you guys... Maybe next year when yo do the desert trip again I'll hook up with you at the Midwest Starting Point...

Send me details of next years planing .....Nothing like a long cruz for New Joisey to the desert.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:47 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Viet Nam Vett
Wish I was with you guys... Maybe next year when yo do the desert trip again I'll hook up with you at the Midwest Starting Point...

Send me details of next years planing .....Nothing like a long cruz for New Joisey to the desert.
Even though many of us (including MarkC) love Arizona and the Southwest, we won't be repeating any of our prior itineraries. Our future trips will take us to new areas with new sights, new adventures....

Where might we be going next year? That will largely depend on whoever volunteers to organize and lead that trip. I was "volunteered" once when I excused myself from dinner to use the facilities. Upon my return there was thunderous applause and it didn't take long to figure out what had happened in my absence.

Once a leader is confirmed, suggestions start rollng in from the peanut gallery. Many express strong opinions pro or con, but everyone eventually unites behind a well conceived plan. As Mossy66 once said, "We would have fun even if all we were doing was shoveling dog s**t!"

So what's in the works for next year? Who knows? Once we figure it out we will certainly post it here eventually. Check back on the Forum occasionally if you want to see what we have planned.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:25 AM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Even though many of us (including MarkC) love Arizona and the Southwest, we won't be repeating any of our prior itineraries. Our future trips will take us to new areas with new sights, new adventures....

Where might we be going next year? That will largely depend on whoever volunteers to organize and lead that trip. I was "volunteered" once when I excused myself from dinner to use the facilities. Upon my return there was thunderous applause and it didn't take long to figure out what had happened in my absence.

Once a leader is confirmed, suggestions start rollng in from the peanut gallery. Many express strong opinions pro or con, but everyone eventually unites behind a well conceived plan. As Mossy66 once said, "We would have fun even if all we were doing was shoveling dog s**t!"

So what's in the works for next year? Who knows? Once we figure it out we will certainly post it here eventually. Check back on the Forum occasionally if you want to see what we have planned.
Spoke with Roy Tonight.... He sent me this years Itinerary, looks great.
Anyway..I have never been to Az or travelled thru the Desert..I'd love to do that. I am making plans now for next year and have emailed a Friend who might want to go also.

So keep me abreast thru Roy when you return from this years Smash and Bang trip for next year and the planing. We could Hook up with the Northerners travelling down to link up for the Trip into AZ next year.

Furthest I have travelled with the 65 west has been to Bowling Green Ky about 10 Times in the 65 as well as Canada and Fla. This would be an exciting trip .
Old 08-06-2015, 05:27 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Bad news from one of our newer couples: Randy & his lovely bride Joyce. Seems that Randy needs a joint replacement (no, not THAT joint) and will be recuperating from that while we are out on the road.

The only fun thing about this is that Randy convinced his MD's staff that Joyce was his daughter.

Get well soon, my friend!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Bad news from one of our newer couples: Randy & his lovely bride Joyce. Seems that Randy needs a joint replacement (no, not THAT joint) and will be recuperating from that while we are out on the road.

The only fun thing about this is that Randy convinced his MD's staff that Joyce was his daughter.

Get well soon, my friend!
Sorry to hear about that bad Rag Joint..But they do ware out when twisted to much. Anyway I bet he's bummed that he can't do the trip. At least my excuse is that I'm about 2000 miles away or else I'd be out there eating sand with your and Roy.

Have a Good trip
Old 09-18-2015, 10:21 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Default One month until we meet in Flagstaff!

I have spent the last two days going over the itinerary and reconfirming arrangements at all of the places of interest we have scheduled.

With apologies to Jackfit, the car is packed and six or seven states await. The spousal unit and I expect to hit the road midday on Monday and arrive in Cave Creek toward the end of the week.

Get notified of new replies

To Desert Dash - C2 Road Trip in the Southwest

Old 09-19-2015, 07:02 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I have spent the last two days going over the itinerary and reconfirming arrangements at all of the places of interest we have scheduled.

With apologies to Jackfit, the car is packed and six or seven states await. The spousal unit and I expect to hit the road midday on Monday and arrive in Cave Creek toward the end of the week.
Have a safe drive! Hopefully you will get the new backyard party area finished in time for us to enjoy

We are looking forward to seeing everyone next month!

Gerry
Old 09-19-2015, 09:04 AM
TexVette66
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

We plan on you guys stopping in Texas on your way thur. OK ? Jerry
Old 09-19-2015, 10:58 AM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TexVette66
We plan on you guys stopping in Texas on your way thur. OK ? Jerry
Thanks for the invite, Jerry! We'll be back in AZ on Thursday, preparing for you and Barb to arrive.

Remember we'll be spending two weeks together, joined at the hips like Siamese Twins. Most of our friends say that a little of us goes a long way!

Quick Reply: Desert Dash - C2 Road Trip in the Southwest