C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Gas Pedal on '63

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Thanks Mike.

Mine lines up quite well with the throttle arm.
However, it is different from Frank's shown in post #1.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2015, 05:53 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Frank, FWIW, the gas pedal in your post #1 is a reproduction part. If you compair the vertical grooves on the ends in Rich's post #41 and look at your pedal the difference will be obvious.

I would not be surprised if there are other more important differences with the repro part, the GM service pedal was a truck pedal, you may have seen these.

I can't help but wonder about how all this comes together and could possible relate to my issue that I described in a earlier post. If there is anyone that feels like checking if there lever hits the firewall at WOT (like described in the AIM) or stops short because it hits at the bend in the firewall near where it bolts to the rod by the bellhousing I would appreciate it.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:42 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I don't see any approval signatures on that drawing. Just a drawing. Maybe just as well have been a Dennis the Menace cartoon.
HEY! Another business opportunity. Generating pages of the AIM with stuff on it that YOU want on your car.

I'm gonna copyright this idea.

Ed
Old 07-23-2015, 06:54 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by emccomas
HEY! Another business opportunity. Generating pages of the AIM with stuff on it that YOU want on your car.

I'm gonna copyright this idea.

Ed
I still don't see the sigs, but the block must have been a reality.

Since this discussion started, there has been a dim light come on and I think at one time, I knew this spacer block existed. Too much water over the dam.

I'll take the word of the guys I discussed this with and you know who they are.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't doubt I have a repro pedal...but I'll look at it more closely to confirm.

LICS has two repro pedals....one is "BEST", so I assume the other is not so great... The distinction drawn between the quality of the two concerns the rounding of the pedals' upper corners.

I see no indication in any documentation, nor on any vendor site that there were two different, original pedals for '63...but stranger things have happened.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:31 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Philip's head 1" cadmium bolts for the gas pedal....Zip has them....
They also have correct seat mount bolts (I just replaced those too)...

I'm still using the pedal that's on the car; but Zip has those too...
Bet they dont' have the correct seat mount bolts if they are 3/4"long. Mine appear to be original and they are 1" long. Any shorter would not work, at least with my carpet which is reproduction. The bolts have the encased washer and RBW on top, I think.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:47 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
Bet they dont' have the correct seat mount bolts if they are 3/4"long. Mine appear to be original and they are 1" long. Any shorter would not work, at least with my carpet which is reproduction. The bolts have the encased washer and RBW on top, I think.
I don't know how to respond... I had two original seat bolts (correct head markings, etc.) The Zip repros matched those exactly so I'm happy with them...
Old 07-24-2015, 08:22 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I don't doubt I have a repro pedal...but I'll look at it more closely to confirm.

LICS has two repro pedals....one is "BEST", so I assume the other is not so great... The distinction drawn between the quality of the two concerns the rounding of the pedals' upper corners.

I see no indication in any documentation, nor on any vendor site that there were two different, original pedals for '63...but stranger things have happened.
Frankie I am getting my LIC "BEST" pedal today. The grooves in it look just like my original. If you want a pic of the repro I'm getting just ask.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:03 PM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Got my repro gas pedal today from LIC. It's a little thicker but good quality.
Pics are of my original vs LIC "Best" as they describe gas pedal.
I like it and will see how it works-I dont expect any problems.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:29 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I had already ordered the LICS "best" pedal before the last few posts.....its good to see it is of decent quality...
Old 07-24-2015, 04:41 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Carpet thickness doesn't affect the length of that bolt - the seat track feet bolt flat to the floor pan, with the carpet cut away around it.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:57 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Carpet thickness doesn't affect the length of that bolt - the seat track feet bolt flat to the floor pan, with the carpet cut away around it.
OK, makes senses. I have Knoch carpet and they put the seat tracks on top of the carpet, which I'm glad they did. Plus they put hush mat, or something like that. My bolts are 1" long and pointed on the end like they were made to go thru carpet, and have patina on them before I wire brush and painted.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:04 PM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

OK, makes senses. I have Knoch carpet and they put the seat tracks on top of the carpet, which I'm glad they did. Plus they put hush mat, or something like that. My bolts are 1" long and pointed on the end like they were made to go thru carpet, and have patina on them before I wire brush and painted.
My 63 seat mounts are on the floor under the rugs. Rugs have a flap to get to the bolts. Shouldn't the mounting be under the rug? (rug-flaps pulled back for access)
Old 07-24-2015, 05:05 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by morly1963
My 63 seat mounts are on the floor under the rugs. Rugs have a flap to get to the bolts. Shouldn't the mounting be under the rug? (rug-flaps pulled back for access)
Yes. See post #51.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:41 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Frankie, the extent that you are going is why I sold the car....I realized I was not a matching anything guy...not my gig. But glad to see you wrestling the details. I can tell you are having fun and that's what this hobby is all about.

I can't give any insight on the pedal assay as it was like that when I bought it. I do know the previous owner had gone through the interior (except the dash which you tackled).

Have fun!
Old 07-24-2015, 06:23 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by firstgear
Frankie, the extent that you are going is why I sold the car....I realized I was not a matching anything guy...not my gig. But glad to see you wrestling the details. I can tell you are having fun and that's what this hobby is all about.

I can't give any insight on the pedal assay as it was like that when I bought it. I do know the previous owner had gone through the interior (except the dash which you tackled).

Have fun!
Some time you'll have to get down and see your 'ole gal in her current condition. You'd be proud....short of Vintage Air, Detroit Speed, quartz clock and aftermarket radio....she's like showroom now. And I could revert back to original easily on 3 of those things. Could on the A/C too - but not easily and don't want to
Old 07-24-2015, 08:22 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Default More mystery about the spacer

So - Frank's and John's comments and the LIC statement of "correct for '63 to '67" got me intrigued, since I know my '67 never had a spacer as previously stated.

I went and pulled out my '67 AIM and looked at the 3 pages shown in the attachment. The first two detailing the gas pedal make it pretty clear that there was no spacer. BUT - the third page appears to show a spacer under the carpet, as indicated by the faint dotted line outline shown in "View B", item 6, "3863736 spacer - carpet heel pad"

I don't know what to think at this point........... But I d@mn sure know I'm not gonna add one just because 1 page in the AIM alludes to it, when its worked just fine without it for the 44 years I've owned it!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
'67 gas pedal and carpet.pdf (1.80 MB, 170 views)

Last edited by tuxnharley; 07-24-2015 at 09:43 PM. Reason: addl comment

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Pedal on '63

Old 07-25-2015, 05:05 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
So - Frank's and John's comments and the LIC statement of "correct for '63 to '67" got me intrigued, since I know my '67 never had a spacer as previously stated.
If it didn't have a spacer, what kept the base of the accelerator pedal from distorting down into the pocket when the two screws were tightened?
Old 07-25-2015, 06:17 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Wow, I haven't checked-in in a while. This got really interesting......

So I just reinstalled a rebuilt heater box in this '67 I have here, and new dash harness all plugged in to the cluster ready to go in, pedal box ready to go back too, interior basically in shambles, but you guys made me tear out the gas pedal and check........

IIRC, the repro I got for our '63 was a bit thicker.

==

Last edited by rich5962; 07-25-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:21 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
If it didn't have a spacer, what kept the base of the accelerator pedal from distorting down into the pocket when the two screws were tightened?
John - at this point I'm not really sure what to say in the form of a definitive statement about this, as both the AIM drawings and anecdotal evidence from both myself and others in this thread seem to be in conflict - i.e., some show/have the spacer, and others do not.

As to a specific answer to your question, in my case I would say the rubber/plastic "pad 3897410" shown on AIM F11 view A which goes under the pedal base fills/bridges under the bases sufficiently to allow the screws to be tightened. No pocket formed there in my car.

All I know for sure is that I bought the car from the original owner - whom I knew - in 1971 with original carpet. When i replaced the carpet about 10 years ago there was no spacer, and I did not install one. The accelerator pedal has operated properly in the 44 years I have owned the car without benefit of a spacer.

Others in this thread have said their car did not have a spacer as well.

Why not? Who knows? Not needed ? Assembly line error? I have no answers.

Quick Reply: Gas Pedal on '63