C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Electrical ghost

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Default Electrical ghost

The facts: distributor has a Mallory Unilite, ignition is controlled by a Jacobs MileMaster CDI. Plugs and wires are 2 yrs old. Up until 2 months ago everything on my '67 was purring along. Then on a sunny day while in the middle of a 200 mi. cruise the car shut down for a nano second. It was a physical jolt. It restarted it's self and I kept going, then it did the exact same thing again. My buddy and I look at each other and wonder, WTH! About 2-3 miles later, it shut down again, but did not restart, I kept on rolling, but restarted with the key. Later in the day it did it again. It's interesting what the contrast is from a nice growl too dead silence. I made it home, rested and looked things over the next day, and found nothing obvious. In the last two week I have taken the car out on two or three very local drives doing errands etc. All short distance and duration, nothing happened. Thank God, my wife was with me on one drive. Last night I went to a cruise in 20 minutes away, no problem. Later I took a 10-15 mile drive (45 min- 1 hour engine operating time) and it did the nano second shut down thing 3-5 times. A couple of those times I had to restart it with the key. Got it home and now I want the thoughts of the CF before I get into it.
Here are two, thoughts I have gleaned from the CF.
1. I will check the bulkhead connections and look for corrosion.
2. How suspect could the coil be? It's 2 yrs old at the most. It's a Flame Thrower 1.5 ohm.
3. Is heat, built up over a long periods of time, the enemy of the coil. Dennis
Old 07-25-2015, 02:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There is a VERY interesting article in this months NCRS Restorer magazine about a C2 owner chasing a similar problem for weeks and it turned out to be his distributor hold down clamp not.providing a good enough ground for his ignition system. His symptoms were very similar.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:16 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Sounds like an imminent coil failure waiting in the wings. The symptoms you mentioned describe very close the experience I had on a road trip last summer.

What turned out to be a hard start condition on every restart after a gas stop or some such eventually turned into nano second misses, then short pauses, then longer pauses until the engine finally quit for good.

No question now the problem was in the ignition, not in fuel delivery as originally thought.
A spare coil carried along on the trip saved the day.
The coil that failed was an Accel brand that saw about 8K of use before it gave up the ghost. If you've got a spare coil I'd give that a go.
John
Old 07-25-2015, 04:31 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm into it! Checked all the ignition connections at the coil and others in line of the CDI system. Checked the distributor clamp. Cleaned it, tightened it. Separated the bulkhead connector very carefully. Some corrosion, but not bad. One interesting thing, the main 10ga red wire does not disconnect as the others. It just slides through the female holder. Is this right? I expected it too disconnect with the others.
I have another coil that should be good since it was in the ignition system prior to the current one. How do you test a coil? Thanks for the tips so far. Dennis
Old 07-25-2015, 08:11 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Dennis - I would suspect your coil. I had a Flamethrower that lasted less than a year before it puked. Same symptoms as you describe.
Years ago, my 65 would run fine and just quit totally until it sat for a few minutes, then would start and run fine. Turned out to be a bad ballast resistor. Good luck.

John
Old 07-25-2015, 08:42 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Dennis I believe what you describe for the red wire is how GM told the service workers at dealer ships how to fix a issue that red wire causes. This may sound funny but smell the coil. If it has a burnt electrical smell that could give you a clue if it's going bad. That's how I diagnosed a bad coil in one of dads car
Old 07-26-2015, 08:29 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Guys, the more I dwell on this "electrical ghost" issue, the more I'm thinking it's the coil. Correct me if I'm wrong, but an oil filled coil absorbs heat, right? These events always happen after I have been out driving for at least an hour, allowing the heat buildup. I changed the coil last night. Today I'll do some road time.
Keith, The way the red wire is connected still intrigues me. What if I needed too disconnect it? I guess you have too pull the interior fuse side of the panel! I hope the coil IS the problem, that way I won't need too dig deeper. Thanks for the replies! Dennis
Old 07-26-2015, 08:39 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Flamethrower coils are crap.
One failed in my '63 - will never have another....too many other quality options...
Old 07-26-2015, 08:39 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

While it could be the coil, don't rule out the control module with the Mallory Unilite. I have had more than one go South on me. They would work intermittently as they begin to fail.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:00 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by capevettes
While it could be the coil, don't rule out the control module with the Mallory Unilite. I have had more than one go South on me. They would work intermittently as they begin to fail.
I have just finished testing the coil and module per the Mallory test procedure on YouTube. Coil reads 12.1v, but the module appears too be stuck on 12.1v. This indicates the module is damaged/bad as stated in the video. I installed this module in 1990. I guess I'll get a new one this week. Dennis
Old 07-26-2015, 12:52 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
I have just finished testing the coil and module per the Mallory test procedure on YouTube. Coil reads 12.1v, but the module appears too be stuck on 12.1v. This indicates the module is damaged/bad as stated in the video. I installed this module in 1990. I guess I'll get a new one this week. Dennis
That sounds like it Dennis. They are prone to failure, especially when you use a battery tender because of the electrical spikes they cause. Since I stopped using the battery tenders I haven't blown out another one. You did well getting 25 years out of it. I hope that's the fix
Old 07-26-2015, 02:24 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

You really need the accessory surge protector for that Unilite if you don't already have one. They are real prone to voltage spikes.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Frankie, I assume this surge protector is a Mallory or Accel part. Dennis
Old 07-26-2015, 04:20 PM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
There is a VERY interesting article in this months NCRS Restorer magazine about a C2 owner chasing a similar problem for weeks and it turned out to be his distributor hold down clamp not.providing a good enough ground for his ignition system. His symptoms were very similar.
10-4 frankie !!!! i just read it myself !!! very good one!!!
Old 07-26-2015, 05:06 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Frankie, I assume this surge protector is a Mallory or Accel part. Dennis
Yes - here it is mounted on my 67 Chevelle (see red arrow).

Mallory calls it an "Active Power Filter". I wouldn't run a Unilite without one personally.
Attached Images   
Old 07-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The ghosts will go away. Ordered the new module and power filter from Summit. Thanks for the tip Frankie. Dennis
Old 07-31-2015, 03:48 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Maybe the ghost didn't go away. Installed the new module and the inline power filter. Checked every connection again and then some. Turned the key and, ZERO! No sound/start dead silence. Turned on headlights all lighting is normal. This tells me the battery is good.
Now I'm back looking at the bulkhead connector. If you recall on post #4 & #7 I asked about the red wire not having a pin connector. It just goes all the way through to the back of the interior connector. I have separated the bulkhead connector. At this point it looks like an old (car in original owner's hands) solder connection not wrapped in tape. I understand some guys will bypass all this and run a new #10 wire to the horn relay. I just looked at the fusable link at the starter. It looks fine, no indication of melting. What are your thoughts? Calling Dan Aykroyd. Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical ghost

Old 07-31-2015, 04:57 PM
Milliamp
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default something else to look at

Maybe the ghost didn't go away. Installed the new module and the inline power filter. Checked every connection again and then some. Turned the key and, ZERO! No sound/start dead silence. Turned on headlights all lighting is normal. This tells me the battery is good.
Now I'm back looking at the bulkhead connector. If you recall on post #4 & #7 I asked about the red wire not having a pin connector. It just goes all the way through to the back of the interior connector. I have separated the bulkhead connector. At this point it looks like an old (car in original owner's hands) solder connection not wrapped in tape. I understand some guys will bypass all this and run a new #10 wire to the horn relay. I just looked at the fusable link at the starter. It looks fine, no indication of melting. What are your thoughts? Calling Dan Aykroyd. Dennis
I had the same thing happen to me with the same type of ignition, if I can remember Mallory systems use an infrared LED and a shutter wheel to pick up pulses. When mine got hot the car would die and would not start until I let it sit for several minutes, I found the plate that held the shutter wheel was epoxied to the base and when it got hot it shifted and the shutter wheel could not receive its signals from the LED. With this type of system timing accuracy goes down the tube as you approach 6000 RPM also check for dirt and moisture and wipe the LED lens with a soft cloth. Hope that helps. Tom
Old 07-31-2015, 05:04 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The starter motor should turn the engine even if the Unilite were malfunctioning....
Old 07-31-2015, 05:14 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Troubleshooting that new fangled electronic stuff can be problematic, eh?

Quick Reply: Electrical ghost