C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A Whole New C2 - N11 Off-Road Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 04:24 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Default A Whole New C2 - N11 Off-Road Exhaust

Finally got around to dumping my nasty glass-packs (Cherry Bomb brand) that my '65 L76 (supposedly - but have not had the engine apart to verify yet) came with, and installing N11 off-road repros (thanks to forum name Brumbach).

The difference in enjoyment of driving the car is immeasurable - the glass packs were too loud, but worse yet, sounded like wanna-be raceboy mufflers - too redneck for me (and I likely have more redneck in me by birth than 99.9% of the forum).

The N11s remind me of what the real muscle cars of my youth sounded like, very burbly, very throaty, some slight popping on deceleration, but only a deep base at highway speed. It is interesting how much that sound changes from cold start to completely warmed up - very 1960s IMO.

It changes the whole experience of driving the car - I am happier with the car now more than ever, which is insane for such a minor change.

Only one problem - with the quieter exhaust, I can now hear all the other items needing attention. Gotta get to that speedo/tach cable.

YMMV

(Thanks, Bill )
Old 07-25-2015, 04:49 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Finally got around to dumping my nasty glass-packs (Cherry Bomb brand) that my '65 L76 (supposedly - but have not had the engine apart to verify yet) came with,

The difference in enjoyment of driving the car is immeasurable - the glass packs were too loud, but worse yet, sounded like wanna-be raceboy mufflers - too redneck for me (and I likely have more redneck in me by birth than 99.9% of the forum).

Thanks, Bill )
I agree. The only thing that sounds any worse than Cherry Bombs are Flowmasters. Any of them.

Signed,
Another RedNeck

(Gee, I hope "Pedneck" doesn't offend anyone here)
Old 07-25-2015, 05:16 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MikeM

Signed,
Another RedNeck

(Gee, I hope "Redneck" doesn't offend anyone here)
Yeah, I've been told that it's offensive. Who knew? It's not like I can NOT be a redneck, given my heritage.

I just don't have to act like one - well, some of the time, anyways.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:43 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Which N11 system did you purchase? Cherry bombs are terrible!!! I had those on my 65 convertible when I first purchased it and I felt like such an **** clown every time i mildly to somewhat aggressively accelerated. Under full acceleration it sounded like a dune buggy with straight exhaust.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:48 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 65silververt
Which N11 system did you purchase? Cherry bombs are terrible!!! I had those on my 65 convertible when I first purchased it and I felt like such an **** clown every time i mildly to somewhat aggressively accelerated. Under full acceleration it sounded like a dune buggy with straight exhaust.
That's exactly what I felt like with my Cherry Bombed '65 Vert - it made the whole car seem like a turd.

I actually picked up N11 repros that a guy here bought, installed, and didn't like, and then removed. I think he went with Mangaflows and was happy.

That said, I'm not sure who made my N11s, but they were factory-like fits, in that they bolted right up to my 2 1/2 inch pipes. I think that they may have been the brand that everybody uses as N11 repros, but the name eludes me right now.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:45 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

That's exactly what I felt like with my Cherry Bombed '65 Vert - it made the whole car seem like a turd.

I actually picked up N11 repros that a guy here bought, installed, and didn't like, and then removed. I think he went with Mangaflows and was happy.

That said, I'm not sure who made my N11s, but they were factory-like fits, in that they bolted right up to my 2 1/2 inch pipes. I think that they may have been the brand that everybody uses as N11 repros, but the name eludes me right now.
Corvette Central makes a good N11 exhaust.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:15 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

No, they don't! Compared to others, I have experimented and used most all exhaust systems with small and big blocks and ls motors. The corvette central N11 system is nothing like the original and is quite tame comparatively speaking. Avoid their systems, minus magma flow mufflers, at all costs. Their side pipes sound terrible as well.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:19 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Yeah, I've been told that it's offensive. Who knew? It's not like I can NOT be a redneck, given my heritage.

I just don't have to act like one - well, some of the time, anyways.
Actually, the term "Red Neck" was in reference to coal miners who wore red bandanas around their necks (hence the term) to show their unison during a strike in the late 19th century. Most people don't have a clue as to where the term was derived so only the ignorant would be offended.

Gary
Old 07-25-2015, 11:01 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

No, they don't! Compared to others, I have experimented and used most all exhaust systems with small and big blocks and ls motors. The corvette central N11 system is nothing like the original and is quite tame comparatively speaking. Avoid their systems, minus magma flow mufflers, at all costs. Their side pipes sound terrible as well.

Having put on two sets of CC.

The best I've heard is Gardner. I've ordered a N-11 Gardner for my 66. 425 hp. Can't wait to hear it
Old 07-25-2015, 11:21 PM
rwerth7
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got CC brand n-11s on my 66 sb and they sound great. Changed the entire ride experience.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:47 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree. The only thing that sounds any worse than Cherry Bombs are Flowmasters. Any of them.

Signed,
Another RedNeck

(Gee, I hope "Pedneck" doesn't offend anyone here)
Oh Mike, how could say a thing like that??? I generally agree with 95% of what you say, but a blanket statement dissing Flowmasters is just wrong. Mine are Super 40s, and we have to run closed exhaust at E-town on "Corvette day" events by the rules. Are you telling me my car sounds like **** in the video below?? I do not hear any rapping or any other objectionable noise. I would bet, most on this forum would love to hear their car sound as good.

Do not mind the slow ET, It was 95* out, high humidity and about 150 HP less than I run today.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:54 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rwerth7
I've got CC brand n-11s on my 66 sb and they sound great. Changed the entire ride experience.
Again, compared to others I've tried them all...the corvette central "n11" sounds nothing like the original system. No offense, just a true statement from someone who has tried all exhaust systems in the majority of configurations!!!
Old 07-26-2015, 12:02 AM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,036 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Agree completely. They all sound as if they have holes punched in them with screwdrivers.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:27 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Actually, the term "Red Neck" was in reference to coal miners who wore red bandanas around their necks (hence the term) to show their unison during a strike in the late 19th century. Most people don't have a clue as to where the term was derived so only the ignorant would be offended.

Gary
Gary,

Absolutely, and my ancestors included the demographic that would have worn red bandanas during that time period. Although the term was in common use around the turn of the 20th century, and even predated the use of red bandanas and the coal strike conflicts.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:44 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Completely LOVE the video. That 62 is standing tall. Only hope my 66 could haul half that mail. Need more videos !
Old 07-26-2015, 09:56 PM
project63
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66

Gary
Interesting..Hippies used the term to refer to the goat ropers at my high school. Their necks got sunburned because their short hair offered no relief from the sun. So they were rednecks.

Jeff Foxworthy got pretty rich with the "You might be a Red Neck..if you..." thing. I wonder how many coal miners he PO'd with that series of jokes.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:05 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

those of us from the south ... we is what we is and are proud of it. if you can't laugh at yourself you are in for a world of hurt.

Get notified of new replies

To A Whole New C2 - N11 Off-Road Exhaust

Old 07-26-2015, 10:43 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Again, compared to others I've tried them all...the corvette central "n11" sounds nothing like the original system. No offense, just a true statement from someone who has tried all exhaust systems in the majority of configurations!!!
65silververt;

Did you ever have a set of Gardner's?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:51 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Their Red Hook, NY is close to me, but I can't find a price for the Gardner Exhaust Systems N11. Anyone know the price for complete set; all pipes/mufflers?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:56 AM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
Their Red Hook, NY is close to me, but I can't find a price for the Gardner Exhaust Systems N11. Anyone know the price for complete set; all pipes/mufflers?
I just bought mine for the 66. complete set from engine back was $799 with shipping. I did not need hangers or tips

Quick Reply: A Whole New C2 - N11 Off-Road Exhaust