C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1s are still admired by the non-Corvette fans

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 08:48 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Default C1s are still admired by the non-Corvette fans

I just got back from a generic car show that had about 250 cars in 25 classes. The Corvette class was 1953 - 2000. There were about 15 Corvettes ranging from my '57 to a 2000. There was one other C1 (a 1961), one C2, several C3s and several C5 and C6. It was a judged show although it must have been a quick look as I was not at the car when it got "judged."
I ended up with the First Place trophy. Second Place was the '61. C1s still get lots of attention. Many guys stopped by with some intelligent questions about the car.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:03 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Congrats.

Would love to have a 56-57, or a 58, but they appear to be priced out of my (sane) range. I am flirting with a '60, though.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:13 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Outstanding!
Old 07-26-2015, 06:57 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

I took my '57 through a drive thru and the 15 year old kid working there leaned out and said "Cool car! What is it?" It gets a lot of admiration from other young people, but I've also been asked "is it a Cobra?". Guess these C1s need to get out more often.

Point is, my car being admired by a college or high school age kid today would be like me admiring a car from about 1920 when I was that age, which didn't happen. I think these cars have better staying power than some people think.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:37 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Every C1 owner should take his car to one of those shows sponsored by a local automotive technical institute at least once. Those young would-be mechanic studs are always amazed at how primitive the cars are but they are fascinated with them. You'll get hoarse explaining all the weirdness with the wiper system, dual quads (if you have them), how the soft top works, why the big steering wheel. Those guys love it and can appreciate it....
Old 07-26-2015, 08:19 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd H.
I took my '57 through a drive thru and the 15 year old kid working there leaned out and said "Cool car! What is it?" It gets a lot of admiration from other young people, but I've also been asked "is it a Cobra?". Guess these C1s need to get out more often.

Point is, my car being admired by a college or high school age kid today would be like me admiring a car from about 1920 when I was that age, which didn't happen. I think these cars have better staying power than some people think.
Think about how often you see, or don't see, C1's out there. I cannot recall the last time I saw a 53-57 at other than the NCM. Even 58-62s are very scarce out on the road. Heck, other than car shows and cruise-ins, I have only seen one other C2 on the road.

These were among the first accessible sports cars, given that the sports cars from before the mid-50s were very rare and were almost never seen by the general public.

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Every C1 owner should take his car to one of those shows sponsored by a local automotive technical institute at least once. Those young would-be mechanic studs are always amazed at how primitive the cars are but they are fascinated with them. You'll get hoarse explaining all the weirdness with the wiper system, dual quads (if you have them), how the soft top works, why the big steering wheel. Those guys love it and can appreciate it....
I agree. The young people's lack of interest in these cars can be attributed in part to lack of exposure. I doubt that most high school kids have ever seen a C1 in person.

I also agree with something Frank brings up, but want to extend on the theme - these cars, while older and outdated technologically, can actually be worked on, with real time results unlike today's new cars. That can have an appeal to young people who did not grow up with wrenches in their hands, unlike us older guys.

When I take my '65 to the cruise-ins, the young people recognize what it is, if only from their use in movies (e.g., the '66 in Austin powers, the '67 in Con Air) but what they are most interested in is what it DOESN'T have that they are used to.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:41 AM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with all thoughts. I've been putting over 4,000 miles a year on my '62, and enjoy every mile. Even though I'm in the middle of an engine replacement due to a valve spring failure, I'm positive I'll still get plenty of miles on it yet this year.

On that note, I also know an older (than me) gentleman who appears at a few local shows every summer, driving a meticulously restored '61. His wife bought the car new, they drove the heck out of it, then parked it. After restoring it probably 10 years ago, he said he puts a couple hundred miles on it a year-tops. Beautiful car, and probably will be til he passes on. Mine? Will probably need another restoration by the time I check out.

Whether we get them out occasionally or regularly, we just gotta get them out.

Mike
Old 07-26-2015, 10:37 AM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Easy Rhino:
What you said about C1s being easier to work on is so true. I would rather spend hours maintaining my C1s than my '86. Even though I bought the '86 new and have learned how to fix things over the years, working on the electronics or the rack and pinion or the throttle body can be a real pain. Too many relays or connections that can get corroded. Some components are so hard to get at that it makes repair frustrating.
I still enjoy the C4 but there is something special about C1s with their ancient technology that makes working on them fun.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:37 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

What I have noticed that last few years at the shows is many of the young 16-25 gear heads enjoy looking under the hood of a 4 banger, twin turbo, rice racer with the fancy lights underneath and speakers that will blow your ear drums out from 2 blocks away. When they look an original 327 its, oh hum.

I enjoy talking with them due to there age and enthusiasm of what they have built. Doesn't mean that I get it though.

Last edited by stratplus; 07-26-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:17 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

It's all relative. When I was a little kid in the early '60's, I loved cars, but brass-era cars were the tops. I dreamed of Mercer Raceabouts and Stutz Bearcats. I had bedsheets with brass-era race cars imprinted on them. I chased a local Model A down the street, fascinated by it's single tail light. Fast forward 45-50 years, and working on my 1915 Ford is simple. Easier than my '37 Imperial, or '47 Windsor. The '61 Corvette is a technological marvel compared to it. A modern car. What could be more basic than a small block Chevy, a solid rear axle and a 4 speed? I work on the newest stuff all the time, and hate it. The emphasis is not on the car, or how the car drives, but on how many cupholoders, tv screens, and bluetooth channels it has. It's all about the wifi now, not seat of the pants performance. The newer generation for the most part, wants nothing to do with the mechanics of older cars. Even the not-so-new generation wants upgrades (enter the restomod). There are some true young gearheads, and they, like myself, were born that way. Most of them are into the rat rod thing. Which I appreciate, excepting the tattoos. The thing is, a C1 or C2 is a car. And not a disposable car. As Mike said, they can and are restored over and over. They are that simple. New cars, made after 1988 or so, are disposable. They are appliances. Like a tv or a toaster. Can you imagine the cost of restoring a 50 year old Lincoln Navigator or Cadillac SUV? Ain't gonna happen. Obsolete CAN wifi electronics, busted plastic solenoids and motors, blown up and out-gassed plastic everywhere, etc. BTW, had a 70-something lady in a Chrysler Lebaron convertible (with the top up) put down her window yesterday and tell me I had a nice car. I was driving the '61, of course! I think everybody from little kids to seniors like to see an early corvette, be it a C1 or C2....they are rolling art!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I drive my 60 and what I notice is the little kids, 2, 3 and 4 years old taking notice. You can watch their heads turn as you pass by. They don't know what it is, but they know it's something special.
The more we drive them, the more interest there will be.
Larry
Old 07-26-2015, 03:09 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Way too many people who have nice cars think they have a hidden Barrett Jackson prime time viewing gem and will not drive them. What a shame.

The fact is, there are only few hundred cars I can understand sitting in a garage or museum all the time. Max. The rest should be out getting exposure. That includes 450 horse big blocks,435's, FI cars etc. None of them too rare to drive- except that the owners are more interested in preserving perfect chassis restorations for maximum value on some future sale. I have no patience with that. I'm 35, as I have often said, and if ANY of my peers are going to give the cars more than passing appreciation- if they are going to even CONSIDER apending discretionary income on one- we must have exposure.

As it stands, supply is going to outstrip demand in a few years and prices will fall (inflation adjusted may mean prices seems to stay flat).

Whatever. All that matters is how the car makes ME feel. For those who need the car for their ego- it's not going to continue.

Case in point? I will never by slick 32 highboy at today's prices. They will have to be WAY cheaper. By the same token, I will never be interested in a t-bucket at any price.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:30 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 735 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry P
I drive my 60 and what I notice is the little kids, 2, 3 and 4 years old taking notice. You can watch their heads turn as you pass by. They don't know what it is, but they know it's something special.
The more we drive them, the more interest there will be.
Larry
Larry
Our red cars with white coves remind them of Lightning McQueen from the Cars movie. Several years back, my wife and I were coming home from a Thanksgiving get together driving the 60. Nice afternoon so we had the top down. For some reason at that time I had the wheel covers off and just had the wide whites on the red rims. We pulled up to a stop street and heard a kid yell "hey there's Lightning McQueen" from where a group was playing in a driveway. Made our day.

DZ
Old 07-26-2015, 05:25 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

A couple of years ago I was cruising home through the neighborhood in the '61....I make a particular point to drive extra slow in the subdivision so parents, etc.. NEVER have a reason to complain about "the old guy in the weird car". I came face on to two kids, one black and one white, about 10-12 years old. The white kid must have asked his buddy what kind of car was coming towards them....even before I was beside them I heard the black kid say, "...its an old Corvette". Kinda shocked me that he 'got it' from a straight on look at, by today's standards, a rare-as-hell car.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:57 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Sometimes when we're out in the 62 it's like the World stops. Even the youngest of kids will stop what they're doing just to watch us go by. Older people have great big grins on their faces. One time someone ran into the back of someones car by just watching our car too long. Lots of guys offer their wives in trade for the car. Some of our friends at car show get a little jealous of all the attention or car gets over their's.. It's not unusual to hear from people at car show best looking car here or best looking Corvette I've ever seen.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by C-1 Generation 2
Sometimes when we're out in the 62 it's like the World stops. Even the youngest of kids will stop what they're doing just to watch us go by. Older people have great big grins on their faces. One time someone ran into the back of someones car by just watching our car too long. Lots of guys offer their wives in trade for the car. Some of our friends at car show get a little jealous of all the attention or car gets over their's.. It's not unusual to hear from people at car show best looking car here or best looking Corvette I've ever seen.
I've gotten that a few times....you better be damn careful how you respond to that one! Hesitate too long, give a flippant answer that generates a perceived insult and things could go south fast. My pat answer to that is simply, "No thanks - already got one!"....that seems safe enough...

Answers like, "How's she ride ?" or "Why trade one PITA for another ?" and such could be a real problem...
Old 07-26-2015, 07:00 PM
MCMLXI
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C1 of the Year Finalist
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified

I am not a movie star, but I sure feel like one driving my '61. Everyone stops, turns, looks or smiles when I am stopped at a red light.

Kevin

Get notified of new replies

To C1s are still admired by the non-Corvette fans

Old 07-26-2015, 07:04 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

I've gotten that a few times....you better be damn careful how you respond to that one! Hesitate too long, give a flippant answer that generates a perceived insult and things could go south fast. My pat answer to that is simply, "No thanks - already got one!"....that seems safe enough...

Answers like, "How's she ride ?" or "Why trade one PITA for another ?" and such could be a real problem...
I'll take your advice on that. My wife is only 5' and hardly 100lbs. but she can really bring it, if i should give the wrong answer.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:24 PM
91DRM
Team Owner

Received 329 Likes on 229 Posts

Old 07-26-2015, 10:09 PM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

I run with a crew of old guys (all over 70) and we do 2 or 3 "cruises" most every week. All our Vets are red, 59,62,64,91 & 07 and all convertibles (except the C6) . We always stop at some drive-in for ice cream on the way home and invariable end up in a photo shoot and a year guessing game with the other patrons.

We cruise in a 50-60 mile radius of our homes so there is ample opportunity for people to get a look at some old Vets here in Ma.

Last edited by claf; 07-27-2015 at 08:57 PM. Reason: rookie mistake

Quick Reply: C1s are still admired by the non-Corvette fans