C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 Vert - headlights drop out when on high beam.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:10 PM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts
Default 1966 Vert - headlights drop out when on high beam.

Took the wife out for a sunset cruise to check out my instrument panel lighting after having replaced my headlight switch. All went fine until I switched on the high beams. Began losing all front headlights intermittently. Decided to head for home before it got completely dark. Acted like a breaker clicking on and off.

Lights came back on for a few seconds and I realized I was still on high beams, switched to low beams and headlights stayed on rock solid. Went for ice cream.

I'm suspicious of the new light switch. Problem is that I can't recall whether I had used the high beams on the old switch (recent restoration with very few miles on it).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2015, 10:17 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There is a LONG recent thread about repro headlight switches and their crappy thermal internal breakers, and, adding relays to help with the issue...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tting-out.html

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-25-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:55 PM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
There is a LONG recent thread about repro headlight switches and their crappy thermal internal breakers, and, adding relays to help with the issue...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tting-out.html
Thanks Frankie, I didn't even know there were thermal breakers in the switch. The thread describes exactly the problem I encountered except that I was fortunate to be able to use the low beams to get home. I tried searching the forum before I posted but I guess I didn't use the right terms.

Checking ebay shows that NOS switches are going for about $200. I may take the original switch apart to see if it would be feasible to transfer the thermal relays to the repro switch. Failing that, it's time for the relays.

Last edited by After38Years; 07-27-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

It may be a bad dimmer switch. The headlight circuit runs through the dimmer switch to feed all the headlights.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:30 PM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Geralds57
It may be a bad dimmer switch. The headlight circuit runs through the dimmer switch to feed all the headlights.
Not impossible, Geralds57. My wife reminds me that we did drive at night without dash lights and with high beams a few days before I put in the new switch to correct the dash light problem. It's likely a problem with the new switch which I'll have a look at later this week. Dimmer switch would be next on the list if the switch checks good.

Tnx
Old 07-27-2015, 07:10 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

As you probably read in the thread above, switching to high uses more current than low and overcomes the threshold of the breaker in the headlight switch and the lights cycle off and on as the thermal components in the headlight switch heat and cool. The dimmer won't cause it to pulse or cycle, but can cause them to be intermittent. Pushing the dimmer a couple of times will usually overcome the issue for a while if that's it. Yours sounds like the headlight switch breaker.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:59 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't want the OP to lose sight of the fact that wiring could be the issue; even if your headlight switch thermal breaker is sound....old, corroded or Bubba-ed wiring could have increased resistance and cause the switch to 'strobe' the headlights.... Just something to note as you work through the problem...
Old 07-27-2015, 09:41 AM
After38Years
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies,

I've ordered another replacement switch to try before I go the relay route, so I'll post the results.

All wiring harnesses have been replaced during the restoration, so there SHOULD not be a problem with bad connectors, etc. Of course, there should not be a problem with a reproduction light switch either...

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 Vert - headlights drop out when on high beam.

Quick Reply: 1966 Vert - headlights drop out when on high beam.