C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Resto-mod question (rear bumpers)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 04:34 PM
jedjr59restomd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resto-mod question (rear bumpers)

Hello, are the rear bodies on a '56-'57 similar enough to a '58-'60 for the bumpers off of a '57 to fit on a '59?
Contemplating on going with the widened rear quarters on my '59 which would require fabrication of the rear bumpers... The '56-'57 bumpers would appear to work, but am not sure that the rear curves are the same between the two body styles. Thanks in advance for your responses, Ed
Old 07-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Not sure if this will help but.......there is a 56 in my area with 59-60 rear bumpers and they fit just fine. My GUESS is you could go the other way with no problem.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:17 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Yes, they would work, but it is going to require some work, and the bumper mounting on a 57 really sucks the big one. The outer bumpers on the rear are just hung off the body, and even a minor bump will break the body. The inner bumpers mount off of unique brackets and you have to carve a big hole in the rear of the body for the bracket to pass through to the frame and then a big rubber seal closes off the big hole around the bracket.

The 57 mounting system is pretty poor, and will take almost no impact at all.

I would slice and re-section the 59 bumper before I would go to a 57 rear bumper. I think it would be less work in the end, and would not look out of place like the 57 bumpers. JMHO

Regards, John McGraw
Old 07-27-2015, 01:01 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Don't know how adventurous you are, but you could make the rear bumpers from fiberglass. I understand that there are a few places that can chrome plate fiberglass now. Here is a picture of the fiberglass rear bumper on my '59. The rear fenders are widened 2.5" on each side.
Charles
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2015, 03:31 PM
jedjr59restomd
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Fellas, really appreciate the information and suggestions... I'm going to end up replacing the rear lower valance, and rear trunk opening glass... thought while I was at it, replace the the quarters with the 1.5 wider panels from GTS. I have a very nice set of 58-60 rear bumpers now, and was just hesitant about modifying them. But may end up doing so.

Lowrider: Thanks! I did notice after my post that the quarters that GTS sells are for 56-60.

John: Thanks for the fitment confirmation and issues regarding the older bumpers. And I certainly respect your opinion!! I'm guessing you would just split them at the inside corner (top and bottom), and bend the sides out so you would end up with a "V" gap that would need to be filled?

Charles: Your abilities are so much ahead of mine, that I would not even attempt doing what you did. Did you end up hand making your widened fenders as well? You possess unbelievable skills!! That car is beautiful!

Get notified of new replies

To Resto-mod question (rear bumpers)

Quick Reply: Resto-mod question (rear bumpers)