C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

All New Parts - Why is it running HOT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 06:47 PM
KingD
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All New Parts - Why is it running HOT?

I have a 1966 327 350. I pulled the original motor and replaced it with a '66 327/250 bored 0.030" and put in a slightly larger cam. All new bearings, gaskets, bolts all torqued to the specs. It has about 500 miles on the rebuild.

I replaced the radiator with a new Harrison radiator, hoses, water pump, and a 160 degree thermostat (yeah, I know it calls for a 180 degree, but put this in after the 180 did not work at first).

After running for about 15 minutes, the temp slowly climbs up to 220 - 240 at idle before I shut it down.

It stays at 160 when cruising at 60 mph. Once it idles or is in stop and go traffic, it climbs right up to 240+ in a few minutes.

I tested it in my garage and at 15 minutes it read; gauge - 220, out of the intake manifold and into the top of the radiator - 205, into water pump from radiator - 208.

I would think the fluid is not circulating in the radiator, but I drained it and put in fresh antifreeze mixed with distilled water. All travels through the radiator and expansion tank okay.

Before the rebuild the original engine and setup did not over heat.

What can I do?

Dennis
Old 07-26-2015, 06:55 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Put the 180 back in. The thermostat controls the minimum operating temp not max. I would be sure all air has been bleed out out of the cooling system. Check timing, initial, vacuum and mechanical. Make sure your vac advance is hooked to manifold vac. Also your new engine may need more initial advance than the old one.

Tom
Old 07-26-2015, 07:11 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky65
Put the 180 back in. The thermostat controls the minimum operating temp not max. I would be sure all air has been bleed out out of the cooling system. Check timing, initial, vacuum and mechanical. Make sure your vac advance is hooked to manifold vac. Also your new engine may need more initial advance than the old one.

Tom
Although I am not as strong as SKY65 regarding the thermostat. 180F is ideal, but a 160F should work as well, especially during the summer.

I would also concentrate on the radiator area. Is the proper fan shroud in place, perhaps even consider the air conditioning radiator seals and shroud extension. Check the location of the fan blades in the shroud, also the condition and temperature setting of the fan clutch.

The 327/250 is more prone to air entrapment in the block than the 327/350, so make certain you double check for any air. You can pull the thermostat housing (again) and fill everything from this point to get air out.

What water pump did you use?? A lot of the cheaper rebuilds use a stamped impeller which may not be as efficient as an original cast impeller.

I'll probably think up a few more things to check tonight, and can re-post tomorrow. Others will also add to this.

Larry
Old 07-26-2015, 07:19 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by KingD
I replaced the radiator with a new Harrison radiator,
I tested it in my garage and at 15 minutes it read; gauge - 220, out of the intake manifold and into the top of the radiator - 205, into water pump from radiator - 208.

Dennis
Do you mean a DeWitts stacked-plate aluminum restoration radiator, or something else? It makes no sense that your I.R. gun shows 205*F into the top of the radiator and 208*F out of the bottom of the radiator; you should show 25*-30* of cooling between those two points.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:18 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Do you mean a DeWitts stacked-plate aluminum restoration radiator, or something else? It makes no sense that your I.R. gun shows 205*F into the top of the radiator and 208*F out of the bottom of the radiator; you should show 25*-30* of cooling between those two points.
Unless all his cooling air is bypassing the radiator.

PS: I can still remember the radiator on my 1965 BB MOPAR. 4 blade fan, direct drive, and no radiator shroud. It was fine in the summer if you stayed above 40 MPH, but in stop and go traffic at idle you were a sitting duck. FWIW

Larry
Old 07-26-2015, 10:19 PM
KingD
Advanced

The 180 thermostat did not perform any different than the 160. Yes, a new DeWitt's Harrison radiator.

The fan blade and shroud are original and worked great before the rebuild. How do I know if the clutch is performing? It spins and moves air from the radiator across the engine.

I purchased the water pump from Corvette Central.

I will check and be sure to pour more coolant into the thermostat port. But, if the coolant is flowing won't the air bubbles end up in the expansion tank?
Old 07-26-2015, 10:22 PM
KingD
Advanced

How do you bleed the air out of the cooling system. That may be the issue.

I do have the vacuum advance connected and have checked/set the timing before and after connecting the vacuum.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:40 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

How do you bleed the air out of the cooling system. That may be the issue.

I do have the vacuum advance connected and have checked/set the timing before and after connecting the vacuum.
The best way is to simply drill a couple of holes (1/8th - 3/16") in the outer rim of the thermostat to allow air to equalize on both sides of the thermostat. It won't significantly effect the operation of the thermostat, but will aide in keeping air from getting trapped.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 07-27-2015, 12:13 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Classic symptom of not enough air flow through the radiator at low speeds.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:36 AM
KingD
Advanced

Drilling a hole in the thermostat may take care of it, but it seems to diminish the purpose of the part. If it did not come this way from the factory, then how did GM solve this problem without drill bits?
Old 07-27-2015, 08:59 AM
KingD
Advanced

Originally Posted by wombvette
Classic symptom of not enough air flow through the radiator at low speeds.
The temp rises faster with the rebuilt engine than the original engine. Does a larger cam make that much of a difference?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:21 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Drilling a hole in the thermostat may take care of it, but it seems to diminish the purpose of the part. If it did not come this way from the factory, then how did GM solve this problem without drill bits?
Run the engine to operating temp with the radiator cap off That will burp the system and let all the air out. Drilling the t-stat is fixing a problem that never existed
Old 07-27-2015, 10:44 AM
KingD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Run the engine to operating temp with the radiator cap off That will burp the system and let all the air out. Drilling the t-stat is fixing a problem that never existed
Will remove the expansion tank cap and run it today. Sounds like a plan. Thank you.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:47 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Will remove the expansion tank cap and run it today. Sounds like a plan. Thank you.
Make certain to install and lock the the cap before shutting the engine down. If coolant gets to over 200F (or so) and you shut the engine down with the cap removed, the coolant will boil over from the expansion tank or radiator due to residual heat in the block and no coolant movement..

This normally does not happen with a 160F or 180F thermostat installed, but will with a 195F thermostat or if you are having cooling issues where the engine temperature is up.

A 327/300 engine (or 250 HP engine) has a tendency to pocket some air in the system. I should eventually work its way out as Nowhereman stated above, but to make certain, fill thru the thermostat housing or drill a 1/8 inch hole in the thermostat if none is provided. I have a few GM/DELCO NOS thermostats for our cars, and they actually have two small slits in them to vent off any trapped air. Not certain all thermostats made today are like this.

It sounds to me like your main issue is airflow across the new radiator when idling. So I would concentrate on this area. As JohnZ stated you should see a 20F temperature difference (at least) across the radiator from top to bottom.

The hi-po cam may also be contributing to the problem. Therefore you need to pay more attention to airflow across the radiator and ways to improve it. The AC components I mentioned earlier are a good start.

What parts were re-used from your old engine and what parts were bought new?? If a new fan clutch was purchased, it may also be a source to the problem.

Larry
Old 07-27-2015, 11:52 AM
BD104X
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 128 Posts

You said you went with a larger cam, but you reset the timing. With an aftermarket cam, your factory timing specs are null & void. You may need to retard the timing a bit.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Originally Posted by BD104X
You said you went with a larger cam, but you reset the timing. With an aftermarket cam, your factory timing specs are null & void. You may need to retard the timing a bit.
The distributor vacuum can may also not be correct or working properly if the vacuum is different. The entire distributor initial + centrifugal + vacuum advance curve needs to be checked and verified. An incorrect vacuum can may contribute to the hot idle issue.

Larry
Old 07-27-2015, 12:29 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I agree with wombvette. There is not enough air going through the radiator core at slow speed to cool the engine. Never mind thermostats and air pockets. If these were the problem, it would be running hot going down the road, big time. The fact that it only gets hot in traffic means it's an air flow/fan issue.

Get notified of new replies

To All New Parts - Why is it running HOT?

Old 07-27-2015, 12:47 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I agree with wombvette. There is not enough air going through the radiator core at slow speed to cool the engine. Never mind thermostats and air pockets. If these were the problem, it would be running hot going down the road, big time. The fact that it only gets hot in traffic means it's an air flow/fan issue.
I also stated this back in Post #3 and #5 and #14....and said it was the most likely cause. However, there may also be some other issues at play here. Particularly idle vacuum and engine vacuum advance and timing. Trying to cover all the bases for the OP as he may have multiple issues.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:56 PM
BD104X
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
What you're saying makes perfect sense, but OP said he was not overheating until he made changes to the engine. If the engine is running hot to the point where a correctly operating cooling system can't keep up, you will notice it at low speeds first when there isn't enough airflow to mask the condition.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:56 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Agreed, Powershift. I just kept seeing pictures of drilled thermostats and had to say something!

Quick Reply: All New Parts - Why is it running HOT?