C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58 - Missing another dash bracket?? Argh..

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 10:13 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Default 58 - Missing another dash bracket?? Argh..

It appears I'm missing another bracket. Sucks when you take things apart and don't know it's missing until you look at the assembly manual to put things back together.

I looked on CC's website but I couldn't find it. Someone have a picture of it, or know where I might find one? It's part number 3744569
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2015, 01:39 AM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

Go to..
Ck auto and look for the silver blue
1958 Corvette
Look under title
"Bodywork , Paint, Blackout, etc."
For some pictures of the brace.

Not the best picture but here is a picture of mine (appears that I have a loose bolt)

Last edited by wilbur; 07-27-2015 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:31 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Hey Wilbur....thanks for the picture. I obviously don't have that part. Now the question is...where can I get one??
Old 07-27-2015, 09:32 AM
5869vette
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Call paragon, they have a yard full of used parts cars.

Tony
Old 07-27-2015, 11:13 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I also asked Rich M. in a private email. He says he believes its riveted in...that would suck.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:32 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I called Paragon and they said they didn't have it...but then I got this email saying that Paragon posted on this POST saying they think they do...but when I came here to read it...it's gone.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:12 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Wilbur sent me a picture of his bracket (first picture - the rest are of my car), but I'm not seeing the same setup in my car...or even where it would attach.

Did the 57 also have this bracket?
Attached Images       
Old 07-27-2015, 08:16 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

When I look at the pictures I took...even for me to wrap my head around what I'm looking at is difficult, I can't imagine someone viewing these and trying to make heads or tails.

I tried to take more shots with some better lighting...not sure if these are any better, but the metal setup on Wilbur's is different than mine. I also see no bent up metal as if perhaps it might have been in a wreck and they just left it off.
Attached Images    
Old 07-27-2015, 08:26 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

When all is said and done...I just wonder how effective this bracket is anyway. It's not like the fiberglass holding the cluster is going anywhere or needs additional support.
But I'm open for any thoughts on this.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:30 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jusplainwacky
When all is said and done...I just wonder how effective this bracket is anyway. It's not like the fiberglass holding the cluster is going anywhere or needs additional support.
But I'm open for any thoughts on this.
My '59 has 2 steel brackets in that area.

One is riveted in and supports the back end of the windshield.

The other bolts in, goes under the cluster, and supports the steering column.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:53 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I'm a little confused. As you can see, I a bracket that the bolts for the windshield posts go through...are you saying that the bolts also go though the bracket I'm missing?

Seems very strange to me that I don't even see any traces of it ever being there.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:54 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Looking closer in the AIM Sec 12 Sheet 12, there are 2 pieces there, one is a Reinforcement and riveted. The other is the bracket that bolts in, however, View A shows 4 spotwelds there to hold it together.

I believe the purpose of the bracket is to tie the hinge pillar extension to the cluster and steering support area. One note though, that part# is a "Assembly", which likely means the reinforcement AND Bracket were welded together before assembled/riveted to the body.

Does your 1958 AIM show a revision date on that page and View A?

My '59 AIM shows View A details of the bracket, but the date of that revision when the View A was added, is 6-27-58, long after your car was built IIRC.

From my '59 AIM.....

Old 07-28-2015, 02:43 PM
mashinter
Drifting

I'm a little confused. As you can see, I a bracket that the bolts for the windshield posts go through...are you saying that the bolts also go though the bracket I'm missing?

Seems very strange to me that I don't even see any traces of it ever being there.
I was confused by your comment that the cluster didn't need any more support. I think this is the bracket that you are missing.

The top two holes are for the windshield studs and the 3 bolt holes are where the bolts in the aim attach.

There is a small screw that holds this bracket to the fiberglass for assembly purposes me thinks.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:25 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

What was the story on this car before you bought it?

This car has more drama than a daytime soap.

Doug
Old 07-28-2015, 03:47 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Bill...that's the bracket! First time I have seen one. Is this a bracket you have?

With Rich's information and actually looking at the bracket, I can now see how it goes together. Now, if it was ever in my car is another question.

The AMI shows June of 58...my car was built in Nov 57...but I would think it would have had it. There is even a hole in the dash where it looks like a bolt would go. The thing is, if I got a bracket, I question how difficult it would be to install, without catching my car on fire....LOL. I I think perhaps I could screw it in, instead of rivet or spot weld.
Attached Images   
Old 07-28-2015, 03:49 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

From the looks of this bracket, doesn't look like the bolts for the windshield go through it.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:55 PM
mashinter
Drifting

Bill...that's the bracket! First time I have seen one. Is this a bracket you have?

With Rich's information and actually looking at the bracket, I can now see how it goes together. Now, if it was ever in my car is another question.

The AMI shows June of 58...my car was built in Nov 57...but I would think it would have had it. There is even a hole in the dash where it looks like a bolt would go. The thing is, if I got a bracket, I question how difficult it would be to install, without catching my car on fire....LOL. I I think perhaps I could screw it in, instead of rivet or spot weld.
That is from my '59. You can't have it, but you can use the picture to ask the suppliers to find you one.
The windshield studs go through the top 2 holes.
No rivets, no spot welds. It bolts in.

Get notified of new replies

To 58 - Missing another dash bracket?? Argh..

Old 07-28-2015, 04:01 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

This car has more drama than a daytime soap.

Ok, here is what I know. A 57 is a totally different animal. No comparison.....so forget all of that. The part that you need is shown in my picture. It has to be riveted in, and is impossible to do without cutting the top of the dash. It is tied to the front support, the hinge post, and the front windshield support. It is ONLY on the right side. The bracket that mashinter posted is not it.

The last one that I bought came from Grossmuellers (about 4 years ago).The 58-62 use the same part. I just talked with Carol at Grossmuellers, and she thinks that she has one. Give her a call.
Attached Images  

Last edited by mike coletta; 07-28-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:03 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Dang!! Ya got me all excited there. I thought maybe you found it in a pile of junk.
I didn't think the windshield bolts went though this, but just making sure.

Thanks for the picture....off to my vette egg hunt. BTW...Paragon said they had one, but I don't feel comfortable posting the price they quote me.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:07 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mashinter
That is from my '59. You can't have it, but you can use the picture to ask the suppliers to find you one.
The windshield studs go through the top 2 holes.
No rivets, no spot welds. It bolts in.
Going by your picture the hole on the top right doesn't mount directly to a windshield stud. I'm not sure about the other hole.

Quick Reply: 58 - Missing another dash bracket?? Argh..