C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hardtop Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 03:16 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 930 Likes on 532 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Hardtop Restoration

I'm not really planning on restoring the whole top, just ready the top for paint, polish the plexiglass & stainless, and replace the weatherstripping.
I have a faint copy of the AIM but still need some help from someone who has taken one apart before.

I removed the stainless from the rusted metal retainer. How do I remove the retainer?

I think there is a rivet holding the vert. weatherstrip on. How do I remove this rivet and, more importantly, how do I put a new one in? I can't see either side of it.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:32 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

I would not attempt to remove the long side retainers or you will end up disassembling most of the top and getting involved with a bunch of rivets. Clean it in place and treat the metal to prevent future rust. The side window retainer has a rivet (at the top of your photo) which holds it on, and 2 screws at the opposite end. That window retainer and the rubber should be one piece (riveted) together. Once the retainer is removed, you can get to the backside of the rivets. Depending on condition, you will have to reattach or replace the W/S. Pilot Dan
Old 07-28-2015, 08:12 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
I would not attempt to remove the long side retainers or you will end up disassembling most of the top and getting involved with a bunch of rivets. Clean it in place and treat the metal to prevent future rust. The side window retainer has a rivet (at the top of your photo) which holds it on, and 2 screws at the opposite end. That window retainer and the rubber should be one piece (riveted) together. Once the retainer is removed, you can get to the backside of the rivets. Depending on condition, you will have to reattach or replace the W/S. Pilot Dan
Thanks a bunch for that tip, didn't want to go there. Got the horiz. & vert. W/S out, didn't know it was riveted to the glass U channel. How do you install the rivets? Is there a special tool?
Old 07-28-2015, 10:37 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver
Thanks a bunch for that tip, didn't want to go there. Got the horiz. & vert. W/S out, didn't know it was riveted to the glass U channel. How do you install the rivets? Is there a special tool?
Those particular rivets are small tubular type. When I did mine, I used some small steel pop rivets instead as they are completely hidden and much easier to work with. The only trick was I had to modify an old pop rivet gun head to fit the narrow width of the W/S channel.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:25 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Those particular rivets are small tubular type. When I did mine, I used some small steel pop rivets instead as they are completely hidden and much easier to work with. The only trick was I had to modify an old pop rivet gun head to fit the narrow width of the W/S channel.
Sounds like a good idea.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:31 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Okay, got the weatherstrip off, but in order to remove the glass U channel, I will have to remove that round headed rivet by drilling it out. How do I install the new one and where can I get the rivets? A pop rivet won't look right there.
Or do I not need to remove it since I will probably follow your suggestion of using pop rivets to hold the weatherstrip on!

Rivet

channel
Old 07-31-2015, 02:45 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Yes, you will have to drill it out to remove the channel. That is a steel rivet and you can get some from one of the Hard top shops or on line. Nothing special just a std rivet. You will need to peen it over from the backside but will also need to remove the outer reveal molding (at least in that area) to gain access. I strongly recommend a proper rivet set in an air tool and a suitable bucking bar to avoid damaging the surrounding area.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:14 PM
sweet66
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default you tube video

As general info go to YouTube search Corvette HardTop Restoration .
There is a video made by Shop the repairs and restores Hardtops .
Might give you some tips and tricks
Old 07-31-2015, 09:35 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default You will never get a rivit to work unless you have some special tools.

You got to get a little creative in this area. Purchase a no. 8 fillister stainless screw about 1/2" long. Stick it in there and on the back side pull the molding away just enough to get a nut on the screw and tighten very snug. Now Your thinking I do not want a screw there. No problem. Get a dremel tool with a small grinding stone. Sand the head of the screw down to where the slot on the screw is gone being very carefull. Now get some polishing compound and with the dremel polish the head of the screw. It will end up looking very close to a rivet.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:45 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
You got to get a little creative in this area. Purchase a no. 8 fillister stainless screw about 1/2" long. Stick it in there and on the back side pull the molding away just enough to get a nut on the screw and tighten very snug. Now Your thinking I do not want a screw there. No problem. Get a dremel tool with a small grinding stone. Sand the head of the screw down to where the slot on the screw is gone being very carefull. Now get some polishing compound and with the dremel polish the head of the screw. It will end up looking very close to a rivet.
Great suggestion! That was what I was thinking. I would lot rather use screws and I don't care whether the head looks like a rivet or not!

Get notified of new replies

To Hardtop Restoration

Quick Reply: Hardtop Restoration