C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fake right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 05:49 PM
jacobsed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fake right?

65 Corvette big block re-stamped right? Everything about the car checks out as an original big block car except for this. The casting number of the block is correct. The car is telling me that the original motor was blown and rebuilt with the correct block and then stamped to match back up with the car. Nothing else looks out of place. Documented 3 owner car.

http://postimg.org/image/vyo5fv1u5/

Old 07-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Can't make a guess based on that picture, sorry.

However, why are you assuming that it is a restamp?
Old 07-28-2015, 05:56 PM
jacobsed
Racer

The font based on other known originals I've seen. But I'm also not an expert.

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Can't make a guess based on that picture, sorry.

However, why are you assuming that it is a restamp?
Old 07-28-2015, 07:39 PM
396/425
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

If you give these boys on here a better picture they will analyze that pad for you til the cows come home. HOWEVER there are a sea of restamped cars with all the "awards". If its a fair price, the rest of the car is solid. You LIKE it. I wouldnt write it off because its had a redo on the engine. There are a bunch of original engine cars who are rotted to the core. Buy yourself something with good bones. Good frame, cage, mechanical, paint. Thats the areas that will drain your bank account faster than anything. Ive got a 65 396 car that was blown up in like 1979. I couldnt care less what the stamp says. Actually mine is decked because nobody gave a crap back then. Ive had the "award" cars. This bad boy is by far the favorite of them all. Good luck. Like i said. Give them a good picture and grab your popcorn.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:13 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

There are many other things to take in to account besides the stamp pad. You have to look the whole car over and make a blanket judgment. There are re stamps that look real and there is some real stamps that look fake.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:27 PM
jacobsed
Racer

I'm totally on board with what you're saying. I made a deal on the car tonight contingent on a professional pre sale inspection. Its a 3 owner car documented with registrations back to 1965. Its possible the block is still original. The protecto plate has the engine as T0429IF. this would be correct for the 396 big block. As a whole everything that is unique to the 396 that I can identify is correct. The only thing giving me doubt is the font on the stamp pad but again I'm not an expert.

Either way the deal I made and condition of the car is awesome. I didn't lose.

Originally Posted by 396/425
If you give these boys on here a better picture they will analyze that pad for you til the cows come home. HOWEVER there are a sea of restamped cars with all the "awards". If its a fair price, the rest of the car is solid. You LIKE it. I wouldnt write it off because its had a redo on the engine. There are a bunch of original engine cars who are rotted to the core. Buy yourself something with good bones. Good frame, cage, mechanical, paint. Thats the areas that will drain your bank account faster than anything. Ive got a 65 396 car that was blown up in like 1979. I couldnt care less what the stamp says. Actually mine is decked because nobody gave a crap back then. Ive had the "award" cars. This bad boy is by far the favorite of them all. Good luck. Like i said. Give them a good picture and grab your popcorn.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:41 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

This is like holding a $20 at 5 feet away and asking if it is fake.

What I do see is the number spacing on the partial VIN. The centerline of each number should be the same distance, but it looks like the two 1s are closer than the others and there is a big gap after the 2. Still, the photo is all wrong for determining that. You need it straight down on the numbers. It helps to have a couple with light from different angles.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:15 PM
jacobsed
Racer

I really appreciate the feedback. Here is the second and last pic I have of it right now that may help. I was thinking the T0429IF was not the correct font stamping.

http://postimg.org/image/m5xgbw0ph/

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing

What I do see is the number spacing on the partial VIN. The centerline of each number should be the same distance, but it looks like the two 1s are closer than the others and there is a big gap after the 2. Still, the photo is all wrong for determining that. You need it straight down on the numbers. It helps to have a couple with light from different angles.

Last edited by jacobsed; 07-28-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:22 AM
revupL78
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm no expert but I'll say there is nothing good about that stamp. The font on the vin number is to small. You can clearly see there is a difference in the shape of the numbers on your stamp and mine.
Here's mine for comparison and hell your's could be correct and mine is wrong,,,,,,,,but I doubt it
Attached Images  

Last edited by revupL78; 07-29-2015 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:35 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing

What I do see is the number spacing on the partial VIN. The centerline of each number should be the same distance, but it looks like the two 1s are closer than the others and there is a big gap after the 2.
Still, the photo is all wrong for determining that. You need it straight down on the numbers. It helps to have a couple with light from different angles.
First thing that caught my eye as well, but I'm no expert either.

Gary
Old 07-30-2015, 07:17 PM
jacobsed
Racer

Well I got totally screwed out of the car. We had a deal just waiting for the inspection that was scheduled within 24hrs. She wouldn't take any money and just said to wait on closing until after the inspection. I didn't know she was using me to pressure another interested buyer to pay full price with no contingencies and she sold it out from under me. Don't ever do business with Barret-Jackson showroom. Muffy Bennett is a crooked liar and she will use you. www.barrettjacksonshowroom.com

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
First thing that caught my eye as well, but I'm no expert either.

Gary
Old 07-30-2015, 09:37 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by jacobsed
Well I got totally screwed out of the car. We had a deal just waiting for the inspection that was scheduled within 24hrs. She wouldn't take any money and just said to wait on closing until after the inspection. I didn't know she was using me to pressure another interested buyer to pay full price with no contingencies and she sold it out from under me. Don't ever do business with Barret-Jackson showroom. Muffy Bennett is a crooked liar and she will use you. www.barrettjacksonshowroom.com
Mike,
Sorry you missed out on this one but you had doubts anyways. There's an old expression in the car business...The car you're looking at today and want to go home and think about is the same car that someone else looked at yesterday and will come back and buy today. That's just the car business. Without a signed contract and money down, there was no deal.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:36 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Mike,
Sorry you missed out on this one but you had doubts anyways. There's an old expression in the car business...The car you're looking at today and want to go home and think about is the same car that someone else looked at yesterday and will come back and buy today. That's just the car business. Without a signed contract and money down, there was no deal.
100% correct!
Old 07-31-2015, 12:04 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Mike,

Try and look at it from this perspective. Those vin numbers looked shady at best. You may have dodged a bullet.

Gary
Old 07-31-2015, 03:08 PM
93RubyRedCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 641 Likes on 364 Posts

It was the best thing that happened to you......trust me.....
Old 08-01-2015, 10:10 AM
jacobsed
Racer

I think losing the car is not what upsets me, its getting used and lied to that does. I've never had anybody do that to me before over buying a car. Girlfriends yes, cars no

I learned a lot from ****** girlfriends and now I've learned a lot from this experience and it'll never happen again.

The search continues.....

Originally Posted by 93RubyRedCoupe
It was the best thing that happened to you......trust me.....
Old 08-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jacobsed
I think losing the car is not what upsets me, its getting used and lied to that does. I've never had anybody do that to me before over buying a car. Girlfriends yes, cars no

I learned a lot from ****** girlfriends and now I've learned a lot from this experience and it'll never happen again.

The search continues.....
I was a businessman for 30 years and probably older and more experienced than you (you don't give your age in your profile).

When it comes to money, many people will lie, cheat and steal. Whether it be a car deal or disgruntled employee. Just gotta "keep your eyes on your fries".

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Fake right?

Quick Reply: Fake right?