C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I lost control of my dads Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:42 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Wow - a young guy in a fast car that over-estimated his driving skill....that's never happened to anybody else on here when they were young ? Right ???
Old 07-29-2015, 12:52 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Wow - a young guy in a fast car that over-estimated his driving skill....that's never happened to anybody else on here when they were young ? Right ???
Never!

Gary
Old 07-29-2015, 12:54 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Yeah - been there, done that - sorta. Slid my Dad's 65 Mustang into a curb, popped the left rear tire and bent the rim. 16 years old and thought I was hot **** with his new pride and joy. Took a few months and a few bucks to work my way out of the dog house - THEN he told me he had wrecked his uncle's 40 Buick convertible just before he went in the Navy for WW II.

Some things never change..... I miss ya, Dad!

Well, the last thing I remember, Doc
I started to swerve
I saw the Jag slide into the curve
I'll never forget that horrible sight
Guess I found out everyone was right
Won't come back from Deadman's curve!

Last edited by tuxnharley; 07-29-2015 at 01:49 PM. Reason: corrected song lyrics
Old 07-29-2015, 01:04 PM
dserge
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm glad Chris and the car and even the mailbox are good.
I love that song and I hope it is stuck in everyone mind all day.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:15 PM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
None of you old C2 or C3 owners have mention what I've always heard about rear suspension, curves and problem with it. If its true or not I've always respected it when driving into curves as it seems its caused a lot of wrecks.

Also how old and dried out were the rear tires. 2008 rebuilt, were tires replaced and even it they were, unless changed out in last few years they are 6 years old, maybe older based on Mfg Date.

Plus the poster is 40 years old so he's not wet behind the ears....LOL

I had a 63 roadster and it handled pretty well. It was the first model with independent rear suspension. I have driven a 58 before and the straight axle didn't handle anywhere close to the 63.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I did the same thing in my 63 big block Plymouth. I had driven it for a couple years when making a U turn and with slicks and 456 posi, got into it. I was actually lucky I hit a tree. The dent was on top of the right rear next to the trunk lid. If I hadn't hit the tree, it would have rolled over. I also learned real quick in my C5, if it's even just a little wet, you don't get on it when turning. Don't know about the C6 because I've never tried it. Maybe I have finally grown up.
Na, probably not!
Larry
Old 07-29-2015, 01:42 PM
chrismoore701
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually drive the car more than dad. I wish he would enjoy it more. But hey, at least its driven. I heard from my wife that my mirror came in. I hope it is the right one. Didn't even need to tell dad now. oh well. I feel better that he knows
Old 07-29-2015, 02:49 PM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by chrismoore701
I actually drive the car more than dad. I wish he would enjoy it more. But hey, at least its driven. I heard from my wife that my mirror came in. I hope it is the right one. Didn't even need to tell dad now. oh well. I feel better that he knows
If it makes you feel a little better, my dad borrows my cars all the time, and has since I started driving and buying my own cars, one time (years back) he borrowed my 68 Camaro, it had a good running (supercharged) small block in it. he left a gas station and was showing off a little when it got away from him and hit the curb hard....only damage (besides pride) was a bent wheel and a bent axle. when he called..it was one of the calls you just never forget...Son, I was doing a burnout in your car and I lost it and hit the curb...I still laugh because I always figured it would be the other way around.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:05 PM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Old 07-29-2015, 04:51 PM
chrismoore701
Racer

Going to go pick it up and take it to a cruise in about an hour. Time to get back on the horse. I will only trot tonight
Old 07-29-2015, 05:18 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

My first new car was my ss camaro. I was so happy and I almost lost it shifting to second around a curb within an hour of owning it. I have been respectful ever since on all of my cars.

On a side note a friend of mine used to cruise in my car and when he got his license he wanted to cruise in his car. So we took his geo metro. Well we got in this long straight and a sho Taurus blew by us and I asked him if he was gonna let that guy get away with that? Well he jams that big 3 banger into 3rd and floored it. We hit 85 mph by the end of the straight. Now the curve is rated about 40 mph but he never lets up. I feel the rear get light and go around, we crossed the oncoming lane off the road and stopped a foot short of a retaining wall to the river. His dad never could figure out how we flat spotted the sidewall.

I'm glad it all worked out for you and I'm sue everyone else who first read your title got that little grin on their face when they clicked to read your story. I bet everyone here has a story.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:33 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

there are just some things people should keep to them self's. and this is one of them. when you do it to your own car its one thing. but to someone else s its anther. on the rare occasion my dad lets me drive one of his 3 67. I always drive them like i have sense. for one thing each one is worth more then what I make in a year. and that's one thing I don't want to explain to my dad. and on that note I know we all done something stupid. the worst call I had to make to my dad was I was trying to power shift my Chevelle, and for my lack of skill I over reved the engine and threw the fan belt. explaining that was not a fun thing. after it was fixed he laughed at me and no more was said
Old 07-29-2015, 06:22 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by midyear
If it makes you feel a little better, my dad borrows my cars all the time, and has since I started driving and buying my own cars, one time (years back) he borrowed my 68 Camaro, it had a good running (supercharged) small block in it. he left a gas station and was showing off a little when it got away from him and hit the curb hard....only damage (besides pride) was a bent wheel and a bent axle. when he called..it was one of the calls you just never forget...Son, I was doing a burnout in your car and I lost it and hit the curb...I still laugh because I always figured it would be the other way around.
Now that's a hoot! Something I NEVER would have heard from MY dad.

Gary
Old 07-29-2015, 11:24 PM
63redvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I was raised on the old saying of "When we play, we pay" by my dad and the other guys in my family. It meant if we were gonna "try" new stuff, we better be in a familiar vehicle before we try it in the hotrods we owned. Glad all you destroyed was the termite hotel mailbox and bruised your pride, but just remember, we all do this once. Just don't do it again. God seems to like you.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:28 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Glad you came out of it as well as you did!! Luckily the mirror will be a super easy fix!!

I hit a fire hydrant in my "72 while drifting sideways in a parking lot when I was 17 My left rear wheel took the brunt of the hit and fortunately the hydrant held tight...What a mess!!

I learned a LOT that night and it sounds like you did too...We'll always be a bit smarter for it!
Old 07-30-2015, 06:58 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Just try to learn from other's mistakes. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

Said differently, the smart man learns from his mistakes, the wise man from other's mistakes.

Glad it is turning out okay.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:26 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

chrismoore701,

Just a mirror?
But it could have been much worse, it could have been my car and you were my son.

Oh but for fate, you are still alive!

Get notified of new replies

To I lost control of my dads Corvette

Old 07-30-2015, 07:30 AM
chrismoore701
Racer

Well, I had her out last night and let me tell you, I drove it like a little school girl I was pretty scared at first, but did OK pretty quick. Here she is next to my buddys truck with my little guy keeping an eye on me. Can you tell what is missing from this picture
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2015, 08:08 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Ah...Dad's, sons and fast cars.

I remember the old man had me take a yellow, convertible, tri-power '65 GTO out to pick up some parts for his used car lot in the late 60s. I didn't know there was one of Dad's friends behind me at a stop light a few miles into my trip.

When I got back to the ole man's car lot with the parts he was holding up the magnetic dealer's tag that was attached to the GTO when I left. Apparently, my stop light launch (side-stepping the clutch at about 4K) left the tag in the street and Dad's friend retrieved it.

I got an earful about that one; I thought the old man was gonna fire me from my non-paying 'lot boy' job !!
Old 07-30-2015, 08:22 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Chris: Glad you are OK. The car can always be fixed or replaced. Great you came clean with your dad. In a few years, that story will be shared over a drink and everyone will smile. We all did stuff like that at some point in our lives. Also, great lesson learned in driving "old school" cars, they do not have traction control, ABS, active handling, rack and pinion steering etc. So, next time handle with care. Jerry
No one will smile.

Quick Reply: I lost control of my dads Corvette