C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Your thoughts on this engine pad stamping

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 07:51 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Yes. Jim had a couple of 421 engines slipped into the two Road and Track test cars that were tested by that magazine in Sept. '63. The '64 GTO was supposed to have a 389, but the 421 engine is identical in size, and almost identical in appearance. Same size and weight, but a LOT more get up and go. A guy on the GTO forums named Tenney has the original 'Red Car' from that test, and it is a true beast. The 'Blue Car' hasn't been seen since the time of the testing. It's presumed destroyed.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:44 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
I think we need to have a match between JohnZ and emccomas. Ladies and gentlemen, in the left corner.... Dennis
Not a fair match - I'm just a mechanical scientist, but Ed's a gen-u-wine ROCKET scientist!
Old 07-31-2015, 09:50 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 396/425
2-3 car per hour came thru there if i remember right. It was a very small area of that complex.
Actually, it was seven per hour, in the little rectangular building at the upper left of the photo below, on the other side of the railroad tracks and the water tower and coal pile behind the powerhouse. Hottest, muggiest, itchiest place on the planet.
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2015, 06:31 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
I think we need to have a match between JohnZ and emccomas. Ladies and gentlemen, in the left corner.... Dennis
I concede. JohnZ is one of my best friends, and clearly one of the most knowledgeable people on the planet about these olds cars.

I just make crap up that sound plausible.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:09 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by emccomas
I concede. JohnZ is one of my best friends, and clearly one of the most knowledgeable people on the planet about these olds cars.

I just make crap up that sound plausible.
D@mn - now I'll have to read every new post of yours with skepticism...........ya coulda at least put a "" after the ones you make up!

Old 08-01-2015, 11:50 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by emccomas
"Performance Clinic" was the super secret Chevrolet engine shop where certain engines were give extra special attention.

This was typically done for press release cars, executive cars, etc. and was not intended to be for engines that were sold to the general public.

These engines were specially balanced and blueprinted, and the parts selected had just a bit more "umpf". Not detectible to the naked eye, but could be measured if the engine was disassembled. Things like ever so slightly more compression for the pistons, ever so slightly more lift for the camshaft, special coatings for friction reduction.

They didn't usually "advertise", so finding one actually marked that way is pretty rare.

Think of if like the Lockheed Skunk Works. You know something really cool is going on behind the closed doors, but they can't tell you want it is.
I know Smokey Yunick was doing things like this on the East Coast (Florida). At one point he was doing true R&D for Chevrolet Racing Programs.

And up in New York, Baldwin Chevrolet was sending some of its brand new cars to Motion Performance down the block for a few "revisions".

On the West Coast, MOPAR "Performance Clinics" with Dick Landy and others were going on. This was in the mid-1960's. Maybe that 327 small block actually made it thru those MOPAR garages and got some semi-hemi heads or a RAM induction manifold.

Traco and George Hurst (West Coast) were also working with the factory racing teams on making more HP.

You never know during those times what really went on.

Larry
Old 01-28-2016, 01:02 AM
joe tahoe
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so....the consensus is ...

it's a real stamp?

it's an original stamp?

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on this engine pad stamping