C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

No backup lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 05:42 PM
aafadca
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default No backup lights

They've never worked on my 67 so I thought I would try to track the problem down the other night when I had nothing better to do. I have no fire at the socket, no fire or anything when I jump the purple and green on the firewall. But I do get fire on the transmission switch when I put it in reverse. It has a new wiring harness under the hood. Are there any other connections between the underhood connector and the bulb sockets? Thanks
Old 07-30-2015, 05:54 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

its a very simple circuit. there is 12 volts in one wire with no ground. the other wire is ground. when the switch is activated it completes the circuit and the lights come on. so if you got 12 volts to the one wire then the ground wire is not complete. or you got bad bulbs. check the wiring diagram and trace
Old 07-30-2015, 06:00 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Have you looked at the rear bulkhead connector were the wires pass through? Did you check all the ground wires at the back? Dennis
Old 07-30-2015, 06:30 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by aafadca
They've never worked on my 67 so I thought I would try to track the problem down the other night when I had nothing better to do. I have no fire at the socket, no fire or anything when I jump the purple and green on the firewall. But I do get fire on the transmission switch when I put it in reverse. It has a new wiring harness under the hood. Are there any other connections between the underhood connector and the bulb sockets? Thanks
The pink and green wires on the engine side of the firewall (where the "L"-shaped connector is from the transmission switch) go back through the firewall into the dash harness and the 18-ga. light green wire ends up in the 8-way harmonica connector clipped to the dash brace above the kickpad that plugs into the body harness connector, where the light green wire goes back to the backup lights.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:52 PM
aafadca
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks. The bulbs are new and there's no fire there. I'll check check the harmonica connection and work from there. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To No backup lights

Quick Reply: No backup lights