C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is the Detroit Speed headlight motor kit worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 06:50 PM
Tooth Doctor
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Is the Detroit Speed headlight motor kit worth it?

My '64 Vette has lazy headlight motors. Rather than rebuild or replace them I might spring for the Detroit Speed kit if it's worth it.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:53 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

It's all what you want out of your car For me I would never waist my money on it. But hey I still run points
Old 07-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The original headlight motors are not that hard to rebuild; however even freshly rebuilt motors are lazy compared to the DS conversion.....that kit makes the headlights snap up and snap down in an eyeblink. The old, original DS upgrade was 'clutched' and nicer IMO (which is what I have)...if something happened to the system you could still push the headlights open (or closed)....its my understanding that the newer DS version doesn't allow that.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:40 PM
jkinton
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The original headlight motors are not that hard to rebuild; however even freshly rebuilt motors are lazy compared to the DS conversion.....that kit makes the headlights snap up and snap down in an eyeblink. The old, original DS upgrade was 'clutched' and nicer IMO (which is what I have)...if something happened to the system you could still push the headlights open (or closed)....its my understanding that the newer DS version doesn't allow that.
I didn't know they removed the clutch feature.

I bought mine about 9 months ago, and they can be flipped up or down manually by overcoming the clutch force. They are definitely worth it for that feature alone; there's no longer a need to spin the thumb wheel a hundred times to move them manually.

Even if that's not the case anymore, they are still reliable and fast.

And they pop up as soon as you pull the light switch, so it's not a two step operation. And you don't have to hold the switch during opening and closing.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:11 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I have them on my white 66... my dad's 66, four friend's midyears and I have an extra set sitting in the box for my 67.... I like em! oH and the white car in DS video.. yep my car I have the first production set...

Hitch
Old 07-30-2015, 08:12 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

If someone has a partial to completely defunct headlight operation, there might value to the install. For me, gaining 1-2 seconds has zero value. I rebuilt mine in 1986. Dennis
Old 07-30-2015, 08:23 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

I have the DSE conversion with the clutch and LOVE it. No more holding a switch until the lazy mechanisms open - now it is just like a modern car, pull the switch and instant flip !!!

Dan
Old 07-31-2015, 05:45 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

THE CLUTCH FEATURE HAS BEEN REMOVED. If you got an "off the self" older model, then consider yourself lucky.

I spoke with Jeff Cleary (the designer/inventor), a couple of weeks ago. He sold all rights to Detroit Speed but has been involved in the design with the new motors. The motor (clutched), that WAS being used, is made by Spal, and is no longer available. The new motors are worm gear driven (still made by Spal), and will not pull up or down like the older (original) models. So, short of removing a couple of bolts, or taking the stops loose, you won't be able to raise your headlights manually. To some guys that's a big deal, and to others it's not. I just purchased a "new" system, and the MOTORS ARE NOT CLUTCHED.

It's a great system. It's easy to install.

BTW, I know what the website says, and I have seen the video. I have also asked DSE to update it. I guess they don't care.

Mike Coletta
Old 07-31-2015, 07:36 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Not to me. If I wanted lights that popped up like modern lights, I would have a modern car. The rollover switch and uneven rollover speed is a big part of the charm for me and makes for conversation at cruise-ins and shows. I'm a "stock when possible" kind of guy.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:27 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Give it a shot !

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
If someone has a partial to completely defunct headlight operation, there might value to the install. For me, gaining 1-2 seconds has zero value. I rebuilt mine in 1986. Dennis
You're allowed to drive at night ? With your quite car.......

See you soon.....I may just show up at 1 PM .......count down to Carlisle.....

Jack
Now where are the instructions ? Very easy to rebuild.....

Old 07-31-2015, 10:56 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a set on one of my cars, and the original setup on the others. I would never pull off a good, operating set of originals to install, but would not hesitate to buy another DSE setup to replace a bad set of motors, or for any resto-mod. I love the DSE setup, Mine have the clutches, but I would not hesitate to buy another set even without clutches.

The good news is, you can probably just about fund the entire changeover by selling a correct date coded set of working originals!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 07-31-2015, 11:11 AM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

Installed them on my 65 and absolutely love them. Zero downside. Also added their 7 speed ww unit and what a difference. If your car never sees the rain, no problem. But mine is driven and I am thankful every time it rains.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

When I put the DS headlight conversion in 3 years or so back...the reproduction original motor repro drive gears were still improperly sized...that partly drove the decision.

Later on, I rebuilt the original motors (piece of cake) and the newer repro main gears are perfect. I would have reinstalled them if that had been the case earlier.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:12 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,036 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Not to me. If I wanted lights that popped up like modern lights, I would have a modern car. The rollover switch and uneven rollover speed is a big part of the charm for me and makes for conversation at cruise-ins and shows. I'm a "stock when possible" kind of guy.
What he said.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:13 PM
Joe Inama
Drifting

Received 327 Likes on 159 Posts

I installed the Detroit speed set up and lov it

Get notified of new replies

To Is the Detroit Speed headlight motor kit worth it?

Quick Reply: Is the Detroit Speed headlight motor kit worth it?