C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 08:25 AM
Scrubbyj
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New parts

Hi everyone, I'm the proud new owner of an original 66 427 roadster. The car is a one owner found in a barn. She is going to get a full restoration as she was new.

I want to do it right and I need quite a collection of parts, especially front end stuff as you can see. So my question is, who is the best company out there for reproduction parts? I don't mind paying a little extra for top notch stuff. I've been looking at corvette America and ecklers and they seem to have good stuff.

Through reading the forum I've discovered shermershine or corvette image tend to be the go to glass guys.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JJ

Old 07-31-2015, 09:33 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

corvette America for interior parts. Long Island corvette and Paragon for every thing else.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:35 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,030 Likes on 670 Posts

Welcome to the Corvette Forum. You're in the right place to look for specific parts but for other general questions regarding vendors you should post in the General Forum and that's the best place to introduce yourself and tell us about your new acquisition and your plans for it. Good luck.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 07-31-2015, 10:48 AM
Scrubbyj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Welcome to the Corvette Forum. You're in the right place to look for specific parts but for other general questions regarding vendors you should post in the General Forum and that's the best place to introduce yourself and tell us about your new acquisition and your plans for it. Good luck.
Mike T - Prescott AZ

Thanks Mike, is there a way to move this thread to the right location?

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:52 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

When you need some help with a thread, click the "report post" icon (triangle with the exclamation mark in it) and send a message to the mods who cover that section.

I'll move it.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:54 AM
Scrubbyj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
When you need some help with a thread, click the "report post" icon (triangle with the exclamation mark in it) and send a message to the mods who cover that section.

I'll move it.
Thank you!
Old 07-31-2015, 02:16 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

Congrats on finding that 66, nice. And I mean no offence to you Scrubby when I say this about your car but in all my years I have never seen a customized Corvette that looked better than it did as it rolled off the St. Louis line.

Just never understood how someone thought they could improve on a classic design. But even with that custom front I would love to find that car hidden in a barn.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:18 PM
Scrubbyj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by J.Moore
Congrats on finding that 66, nice. And I mean no offence to you Scrubby when I say this about your car but in all my years I have never seen a customized Corvette that looked better than it did as it rolled off the St. Louis line.

Just never understood how someone thought they could improve on a classic design. But even with that custom front I would love to find that car hidden in a barn.
Thank you for the compliment. I do agree, the custom job is awful. I plan to fully restore it.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:26 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Scrubbyj
Thank you for the compliment. I do agree, the custom job is awful. I plan to fully restore it.
Good luck on the upcoming job. But I sure hope you know what your getting into. For a first timer it's not as easy as one would think and how TV portrays it. So think long and hard about it. I would hate to see it get tore apart and just sit in boxes because someone got over there head. It might be best to restore small things in stages so you can drive it while you restore it. Rather then dive into it and realize your lost. Set realistic goals. Don't pay no attention to a budget. You will NEVER keep it.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:45 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Good luck on the upcoming job. But I sure hope you know what your getting into. For a first timer it's not as easy as one would think and how TV portrays it. So think long and hard about it. I would hate to see it get tore apart and just sit in boxes because someone got over there head. It might be best to restore small things in stages so you can drive it while you restore it. Rather then dive into it and realize your lost. Set realistic goals. Don't pay no attention to a budget. You will NEVER keep it.
Exactly, TV is a joke. Gives people false visions on just about everything in life.
Before you pick up 1 wrench, go over that car from top to bottom, end to end. Don't even start on it. Evaluate it first, take notes, what needs done, what doesn't, preserve as much of the originality of it as you can if that's your plan.

When I got my 65 project, basket case 20 years ago, I was overwhelmed at first. And I have a shop nearly fully equipped too. And have been an auto tech all my life. Just my first major restoration. I thought I bit off more than i could handle. But I laid out a plan and slowly dug in. Whatever you set as a budget, double it. The parts add up fast.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:52 PM
Scrubbyj
Intermediate

Thanks guys, I do realize they are complicated and I plan to ditch the budget and do it right. Thankfully the car is all original and intact aside from the awful front end. So photos and notes will be the best blueprint. I have two chevelles (66' 67') I have restored, both were basket cases, worse than the vette. I know it won't be easy.

Any input on preferred vendors would be appreciated. I want to get started with the headlight kit and the front bumper kit... Any recommendations for the best supplier for both kits?
Old 07-31-2015, 04:08 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

First you need to tell us if the front end was altered due to a previous accident or bubba just cut up a good front end. If the front clip is junk I would just peel it off and replace. I told you in my first post where I would buy parts. If you are close enough to Carisle for the end of the month I would attend
Old 07-31-2015, 04:17 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,092 Likes on 1,861 Posts

First and foremost, welcome to the forum and what sounds like your introduction to the world of C2 Corvettes. You may want to fill in your profile in it's entirety...helps for us to know where you live (as close by members can really be of benefit). Check and post pictures of the stamp pad on the right front of the block along with pics of the vin tag and trim tag attached to the "Z" bar under the glove box. While doing your initial, thorough walk thru on your new acquisition pay special attention under the hood and in front of the radiator. You may find you can save that front end rather than replacing it. Sometimes the guys that moved the headlights to the grill area simply glassed in the original headlights (motors and all). If you find that's the case your job just became much easier. Sourcing a correct BB hood for a '66 is easy, as is finding correct bumpers and a grill. All of these parts are listed on numerous sites. Original/gently used parts are obtainable, as well. Above all else, enjoy the ride...it can get wild at times.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:21 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Also since I own a restored a real SS 66 396 Chevelle. I would love to know more about yours
Old 07-31-2015, 04:27 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Man, if that car is all original other than the front end it is a history lesson right before your eyes. Take hundreds of photos of everything on the car and I mean everything so you can reproduce it very close during restoration. So rare to find an original mid year that hasn't had bubbas hands all over it to ruin it.

I bought the book by Dave Burroughs on the restoration on a 396 65 Vert and he did as little restoration as possible on that car while saving and re-using as many original parts as he could. Excellent book. Title-Corvette Restoration-State of the Art. Out of print now though.

I'm wrong, Michael Antonick author. The story of how Dave Burroughs performed this restoration. Shows copies available on Amazon

Last edited by J.Moore; 07-31-2015 at 04:45 PM. Reason: credit for book
Old 07-31-2015, 05:42 PM
Scrubbyj
Intermediate

First you need to tell us if the front end was altered due to a previous accident or bubba just cut up a good front end. If the front clip is junk I would just peel it off and replace. I told you in my first post where I would buy parts. If you are close enough to Carisle for the end of the month I would attend
I believe it was gently tapped in the front and this was the affordable cool way to fix it back then. None of the original headlight equipment is behind there except for the steel bracket that spans the top.

As for vendors, I have looked at the ones you suggested. I just want to see if there is any others mentioned I have not seen yet. But I do appreciate your advice, again I'd rather pay a few hundred more for legit reproductions that are OEM quality.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:48 PM
Scrubbyj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
First and foremost, welcome to the forum and what sounds like your introduction to the world of C2 Corvettes. You may want to fill in your profile in it's entirety...helps for us to know where you live (as close by members can really be of benefit). Check and post pictures of the stamp pad on the right front of the block along with pics of the vin tag and trim tag attached to the "Z" bar under the glove box. While doing your initial, thorough walk thru on your new acquisition pay special attention under the hood and in front of the radiator. You may find you can save that front end rather than replacing it. Sometimes the guys that moved the headlights to the grill area simply glassed in the original headlights (motors and all). If you find that's the case your job just became much easier. Sourcing a correct BB hood for a '66 is easy, as is finding correct bumpers and a grill. All of these parts are listed on numerous sites. Original/gently used parts are obtainable, as well. Above all else, enjoy the ride...it can get wild at times.
Everything is gone from behind, I have a really salty body friend of mine that has been doing vettes since the 60's, he says he can make it all work. I'd like to retain as much originality as possible. I do know the driver door was replaced also but it appears that no damage was too severe. Everything is nice and straight (and greasy) underneath. Original virgin motor, still runs. Radio still works..

Get notified of new replies

To New parts

Old 07-31-2015, 05:52 PM
Scrubbyj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by J.Moore
Man, if that car is all original other than the front end it is a history lesson right before your eyes. Take hundreds of photos of everything on the car and I mean everything so you can reproduce it very close during restoration. So rare to find an original mid year that hasn't had bubbas hands all over it to ruin it.

I bought the book by Dave Burroughs on the restoration on a 396 65 Vert and he did as little restoration as possible on that car while saving and re-using as many original parts as he could. Excellent book. Title-Corvette Restoration-State of the Art. Out of print now though.

I'm wrong, Michael Antonick author. The story of how Dave Burroughs performed this restoration. Shows copies available on Amazon
Is there a book like this specifically for a 1966 model? Everything is original except for that god awful front end, it even has the original spare tire.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:58 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

For books I would buy the NCRS judging manual, the assembly instruction manual or AIM, and the GM service manual. If you don't already have one from your Chevelles. All can be found at NCRS.org. It also might benefit to join. There are other books as well that might help. But those three are essential. You will find that there is only one or two manufactures for EVERYTHING. And all the resto houses sell the same stuff. The trick is to find out who makes it to cut out the middle man. You will find that LIC, and Paragon make a lot of stuff. And they care about correct appearing parts.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:04 PM
Scrubbyj
Intermediate

Also since I own a restored a real SS 66 396 Chevelle. I would love to know more about yours
It, like the vette is a barn find. A true 138...66 396 325 4spd car. Paid 1k for it 20 something years ago. It's come a long way but stil needs some work. It's nice now and I'm in a hot rod phase, but I have secured a 66 396 block and it's going to be 100% restored After the vette. My delema is the car is blue on blue and I have a black interior now... May have to go back to blue at some point.

Quick Reply: New parts