C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fuel Pressure Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 10:08 PM
jpuskas
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Questions

First question, what is the correct fuel pressure for a 1965 L76? Second question, should the pressure gauge read a steady pressure at idle?

I was suspecting I was having a fuel pump problem, the engine would hesitate off idle and also stutter under acceleration. I put a pressure gauge between the filter and carb. The needle bounces so hard that you can barely read it. It looks to bounce between 5 and 12 lbs at idle.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2015, 09:38 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by jpuskas
First question, what is the correct fuel pressure for a 1965 L76? Second question, should the pressure gauge read a steady pressure at idle?

I was suspecting I was having a fuel pump problem, the engine would hesitate off idle and also stutter under acceleration. I put a pressure gauge between the filter and carb. The needle bounces so hard that you can barely read it. It looks to bounce between 5 and 12 lbs at idle.

Thanks
5.75 to 7.25 pounds IIRC.
There are two poppet valves inside the pump and it's acting as if one is either failed or dislodged. Needle should be steady with zero drop if you free rev the engine. It should only drop a pound or two under load.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:18 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

I believe the test according to the 63 service manual is to unhook the fuel line from the carburetor and connect a pressure gauge and then idle the engine.

Test pressure should be approx 6 psi. and the fuel line is connected to the gauge only, the engine idles with the fuel in the carburetor.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pressure Questions

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Questions