C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Alternator question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 09:26 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Default Alternator question

My charging system on my 60 is not working. I had the alternator rebuilt and it turns out half of it is from an alternator that had an external regulator and half of it is from one that had an internal regulator so it's kind of a frankenstein. After the rebuild I'm still not getting anything so I spent most of the day playing with the external regulator that mine still is wired for.

Anyway my question is I think I'm gonna switch to an alternator with an internal reg because it just seems it will solve my problem. The guy that wants to sell me one says I just need to run the hot lead, ground lead and hook up the field plug. Now it has been a few weeks so I believe this is what I was told, but it seems to me I'm gonna have to do something with the wires coming out of the field plug. So I have a F 2 3 4. What will I do exactly with these wires? I hope this makes sense.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

first there were no alternators on a 60. just a generator that used a external regulator. so what really do you have.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:49 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

I know it should be a generator, but it has been coverted at some point in the past. I read your article earlier today and I made it to the step where you leave the alternator plug in with the regulator plug out. With the ignition off I tested terminal 3 on the reg. plug and got no voltage.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:52 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Also I unwrapped a little bit of tape and 3 and 4 come off the same wire and split just before they go in the regulator plug. I'm just thinking I would like to go with an internal regulated alternator and would like to know what I need to do with these wires?
Old 08-01-2015, 10:23 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Something I forgot. This would be a one wire alternator.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:36 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

I feel like I'm talking to myself Anyway, it sounds like all I will need to do is hook up the hot line and run a ground wire.

What about my dash gauge?
Old 08-02-2015, 08:54 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

If you haven't changed anything else in the wiring harness other than the regulator connections for the generator, your dash gauge should work correctly.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The 'full flow' ammeter gauge in the C cars measures current regardless of the source providing it. Alternater or regulator - doesn't matter. If you want to unBubba things Mad Electric has some nice technical articles on the options and best approach.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:30 AM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Thanks I think I put to much thought into it yesterday, and by last night my brain was shorting out. I'm gonna switch to a 1 wire tomorrow because it will be simple and this car is not correct.

I almost didn't make it home the other night, and by the time I got to my drive my blinkers wouldn't even work and I barely had lights at all. I just can't wrap my mind around what is wrong. I had the alternator rebuilt, and removed the regulator and checked all the points inside. I then took the alternator apart and found the 2 springs inside were stuck together and mangled. Now did I do this when I took it apart or did the guy that rebuilt it get it caught putting it back together? Regardless it will be resolved tomorrow. Thanks for the help and sorry I seem so stupid sometimes, everything is a learning experience.

Maybe I should try and pass my car off as having a rare experimental original 350 block

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator question

Quick Reply: Alternator question