C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Mac's Pivot Plate for engine install

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 09:55 PM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Mac's Pivot Plate for engine install

I purchased a Mac's Pivot Plate last year when I pulled the engine out of my '62 for detailing. The plate mounts on the intake, using the carb mounting locations. Obviously, I used it again to reinstall the engine. After blowing up the engine in June, I used it again. Greatest way to pull/set an engine.

My father-in-law is working on one of his buddies '55 Bel Air, and needed to pull the engine. He did not want to use the pivot plate, for he didn't think the four 5/16" bolts in an aluminum manifold would support the weight of a small block Chevy with a transmission mounted to it.

Frankly, I have no concerns setting my almost-finished small block in the next couple weeks, and will do it with the 4 speed attached (although I have a cast intake).

Any comments?

Mike
Old 08-01-2015, 10:06 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by mcb55-210
I purchased a Mac's Pivot Plate last year when I pulled the engine out of my '62 for detailing. The plate mounts on the intake, using the carb mounting locations. Obviously, I used it again to reinstall the engine. After blowing up the engine in June, I used it again. Greatest way to pull/set an engine.

My father-in-law is working on one of his buddies '55 Bel Air, and needed to pull the engine. He did not want to use the pivot plate, for he didn't think the four 5/16" bolts in an aluminum manifold would support the weight of a small block Chevy with a transmission mounted to it.

Frankly, I have no concerns setting my almost-finished small block in the next couple weeks, and will do it with the 4 speed attached (although I have a cast intake).

Any comments?

Mike
The cross-sectional modulus of those four 5/16" carb studs is more than adequate to support a complete engine and transmission. I don't know what a "Mac's pivot plate" looks like, but I'd be more concerned about the design of the pivot than the carb studs.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:12 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

I used one (not that particular brand) to remove my 327 and Muncie 4 speed and then install an aluminum 427 with Richmond 5 speed attached. No problems for me. Just be careful.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...minum-rat.html
Old 08-01-2015, 10:40 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Tensile strength of a grade 2 5/16" bolt is greater than 3,000 lbs.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:01 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

The MACS plate is more than up to the task. It's far stronger than the 5/16 bolts that hold it in place.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:37 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Your father in law is a wise man. It's not the strength of the bolt that is the issue. It's the strength of the threads in the cast aluminum.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:38 PM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

So if the threads of the aluminum intake are the weakest point, how would you determine the maximum weight that could safely be supported?

Mike
Old 08-03-2015, 08:13 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

So if the threads of the aluminum intake are the weakest point, how would you determine the maximum weight that could safely be supported?

Mike
Dunno offhand, but NASCAR teams have been yanking complete engine/transmission combinations using a carb plate on an aluminum manifold for over 50 years, and I've never seen them drop one.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:51 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

In my opinion..........................

The easiest way to deck an engine is to do a two point hookup on the heads at the center exhaust port on each side. the engine is balanced fore/aft and the center of gravity at that point is almost neutral.

When you hang it from the top of the intake, the balance is all wrong unless you get the balance exactly right for each custom installation.

Personally, I would never hang and engine from four studs screwed into unknown threads in an aluminum intake.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:31 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Mike
The torque spec on the carb nuts is a measure of the total joint strength, including the aluminum manifold; doesn't look like the aluminum is an issue for a manifold in like-new condition.

But I have had to use an insert in an aluminum manifold to repair damaged threads if bolts were used and over-torqued or if the bolts were too short for full thread engagement.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:06 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by mashinter

But I have had to use an insert in an aluminum manifold to repair damaged threads if bolts were used and over-torqued or if the bolts were too short for full thread engagement.
Exactly. Unless you know the condition of those threads, you are taking a big chance. A chance that can result in a lot of property damage and personal injury.

No, the sky isn't falling, just my opinion again.

I've seen a fair number of intakes with the carb threads screwed up and damaged.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:25 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I personally used bolts into the heads as well, BUT my engine builder buddy uses those plates all the time around his shop and has never had a problem. I just sleep better at night knowing the steel bolts are there.

I do love that plate pivot thing though......it keeps the crane end very close to the motor for any clearance issues with the range of the jack. Nothing worse than running out of height when trying to get over a fender.

Get notified of new replies

To Mac's Pivot Plate for engine install

Quick Reply: Mac's Pivot Plate for engine install