C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help needed to install a new tail lamp panel

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 03:52 PM
65ZR1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help needed to install a new tail lamp panel

My 65 coupe was hit in the front and rear sometime before I purchased it. The tail lamp panel was replaced with a hand laid panel of horrible quality. I bought a new press molded one to replace it but I am having trouble fitting it. During the previous repair the heavily damaged bonding strip was left and the panel was glassed to the car. I have removed the panel, the bonding strip and all the added glass. The new panel doesn't fit at all though. Im wondering if a portion of the rear roof panel was cut out. Could someone take a measurement for me? Im looking for the distance from either the lip the rear window sits in or the edge of the gas filler opening to the edge of the tail lamp panel. This should get me started.

Thanks,
Old 08-02-2015, 04:44 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm not an expert on your questions, but pictures of the currently "open" tail of the car, the new panel and how it fits when held up to the empty area will help those that are! They may want measurements from specific points, etc. also.

Others have gone through similar experiences and will want to pass it along!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

I have 16.75" from the filler opening to the rear edge.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:46 AM
65ZR1
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
I have 16.75" from the filler opening to the rear edge.
Thanks Mike. Just to clarify, is the opening the body hole or the opening of the gas filler bezel?
Old 08-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 65ZR1
Thanks Mike. Just to clarify, is the opening the body hole or the opening of the gas filler bezel?
No bezel thickness included. That's from the fiberglass indent where the bezel striker sits.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:10 PM
65ZR1
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
No bezel thickness included. That's from the fiberglass indent where the bezel striker sits.
Well, it looks like Im going to have some issues. If I put the tail lamp panel at the distance you provided I have a very large gap behind it that gets worse as it goes out to the quarters. I know the quarters were either replaced or removed and re-bonded. Im wondering if the shop chose to cut off the damaged portion of the rear roof section and slide the quarters forward to compensate. Could you give me a dimension from the rear edge of the door jam to the rear wheel opening or bumper mounting hole? Perhaps this will shed some light on the issue. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Just so I understand....you are using a bonding strip, correct?

So how much of a gap (exposed bonding strip) do you have if you set the panel at the dimension I gave you?

Get notified of new replies

To Help needed to install a new tail lamp panel

Quick Reply: Help needed to install a new tail lamp panel