C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 Firewall Insulation

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 12:33 PM
LouBog
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1963 Firewall Insulation

Happy Monday-

I want to replace my firewall insulation. It's my understanding that there is an Early and Late variation of the firewall insulation. The Late one wraps around the fuse box, and the early type does not.

Can someone tell me when GM moved to the Later variation of the insulation. My car is SN #8212.

I'm just trying to figure out which one is correct. The one installed currently is the Early style but I believe it's been replaced so I'm really not sure which one it should have.

Many thanks.

LouB
Old 08-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Roger L
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Lou
This is not an answer to your question, just a heads up on the insulation install. I recently changed the firewall insulation on my '66 , when I had the heater box out and instrument cluster out. The insulation was deteriorated. To me handling the new firewall insulation was like trying to adhere Dryer Lint from your Clothes Dryer.
As you know it has to be glued in place and I couldn't wrap my head around using the 3M spray glue on firewall with my complete interior in place and the over-spray adhering to everything.
If your car is all apart then ignor this.
I had some left over Dynamat from another C7 project (I know its not insulation but thin & good sound deadening and most important more manageable to handle)
I next sprayed the dynamat foil side with 3M adhesive also the backside of firewall insulation with 3M adhesive (outside the garage) and stuck insulation to Dynamat, trimmed to shape.( Overspray still went all over thank god not inside my car or garage)
Now I peeled the back off Dynamat and installed on firewall, at least I was handling Dynamat with substance, once you touch that fuzzy firewall insulation to adhesive it is stuck and no moving it as it just tears apart, guaranteed you will not get it position right
You cannot see the Dynamat after installation and gain a little extra sound deadening not that it matters much with these cars
I would trial fit the firewall insulation first so you can see how it wraps around and mark the backside for glueing.
Good luck as this was one of my least favorite projects but this method made it managable , hope it helps
Roger
Old 08-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

I have Car #8967, unrestored and unmolested.

The firewall insulation does NOT go around the top or left of the fuse box.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:29 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default block

My car is in the low 7000's and does not go over the fuse block
Old 08-03-2015, 06:37 PM
LouBog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
I have Car #8967, unrestored and unmolested.

The firewall insulation does NOT go around the top or left of the fuse box.

Thank you, Rich. I will get the "Early" one! I appreciate the feedback.

Lou
Old 08-03-2015, 06:44 PM
LouBog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Roger L
Lou
This is not an answer to your question, just a heads up on the insulation install. I recently changed the firewall insulation on my '66 , when I had the heater box out and instrument cluster out. The insulation was deteriorated. To me handling the new firewall insulation was like trying to adhere Dryer Lint from your Clothes Dryer.
As you know it has to be glued in place and I couldn't wrap my head around using the 3M spray glue on firewall with my complete interior in place and the over-spray adhering to everything.
I had some left over Dynamat from another C7 project (I know its not insulation but thin & good sound deadening and most important more manageable to handle)
I next sprayed the dynamat foil side with 3M adhesive also the backside of firewall insulation with 3M adhesive (outside the garage) and stuck insulation to Dynamat, trimmed to shape.( Overspray still went all over thank god not inside my car or garage)
Now I peeled the back off Dynamat and installed on firewall, at least I was handling Dynamat with substance, once you touch that fuzzy firewall insulation to adhesive it is stuck and no moving it as it just tears apart, guaranteed you will not get it position right
You cannot see the Dynamat after installation and gain a little extra sound deadening not that it matters much with these cars
I would trial fit the firewall insulation first so you can see how it wraps around and mark the backside for glueing.
Good luck as this was one of my least favorite projects but this method made it managable , hope it helps
Roger
Thanks Roger- This is outstanding advice. I can't imagine even touching the backside of that insulation to a surface coated with adhesive and try to remove it or move it around. Great ingenuity. I'll let you know how this goes.

Lou
Old 08-04-2015, 10:50 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

There are two different insulations being discussed here, the firewall early/late and the non backed windshield insulation which early 63 cars did not use.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:17 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

My car #8967, does not have the upper insulation.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:22 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

My conv. is #15900 the insulation went all the way around the fuse box and does not have the upper insulation. My coupe is #15014 and does not have the upper insulation either both are May 63 cars so I don't know when they started the upper insulation, it must have been pretty late in the production.
Mark
Old 08-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by mark6669
My conv. is #15900 the insulation went all the way around the fuse box and does not have the upper insulation. My coupe is #15014 and does not have the upper insulation either both are May 63 cars so I don't know when they started the upper insulation, it must have been pretty late in the production.
Mark
My May 29th car has insulation completely around the fuse box....and I know its original.

Interesting...
Old 08-05-2015, 02:23 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger L
Lou
Roger
Did you by any chance take a picture of the upper insulation. I have a 63 but would like to in time add insulation to that area but not sure where exactly it goes. Anything to cut down on heat and noise.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:43 AM
LouBog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
Did you by any chance take a picture of the upper insulation. I have a 63 but would like to in time add insulation to that area but not sure where exactly it goes. Anything to cut down on heat and noise.
I removed the old firewall insulation yesterday, the insulation crumbled terribly as I removed it- there was no glue, and it appears that this may have been original insulation. The cardboard was in decent shape.

I don't plan on gluing the new one in place as it seems that the fasteners are sufficient.

What is the windshield insulation mentioned? I don't have that on my car and quite frankly have never heard of that. Where exactly does this insulation go?

Thanks boys.

Lou
Old 08-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by LouBog
I removed the old firewall insulation yesterday, the insulation crumbled terribly as I removed it- there was no glue, and it appears that this may have been original insulation. The cardboard was in decent shape.

I don't plan on gluing the new one in place as it seems that the fasteners are sufficient.

What is the windshield insulation mentioned? I don't have that on my car and quite frankly have never heard of that. Where exactly does this insulation go?

Thanks boys.

Lou
I don't know of any windshield insulation.
BTW 'rich5962' on here invented a slick tool for installing those pesky rubber insulation plugs -- worth looking into !
Old 08-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LouBog
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I don't know of any windshield insulation.
Technically is must be called under dash sound deadener.

https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...dener-kit.aspx

If you read post #9, it may not have been used in 1963.

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 Firewall Insulation

Quick Reply: 1963 Firewall Insulation