C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Google earth

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:41 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

Received 581 Likes on 229 Posts

Default Google earth

I always thought Google Earth and Google Map was a pretty cool thing, until today. I'm standing in the driveway with the car and along comes the Google truck with the camera mounted on the top taking pics of all the houses. So it may not be long until the world knows I have a Vette and where it lives.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:53 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Should have given the camera the single finger salute then maybe they would delete it.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:05 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

About halfway down on this page: http://www.google.com/maps/about/beh...cy/#streetview

"We provide easily accessible tools allowing users to request further blurring of any image that features the user, their family, their car or their home."
Old 08-04-2015, 08:04 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

It should read, "We are going to invade your privacy, imperil your family and belongings and if you stumble across this disclaimer we might do something about it; until the next time we come by and make your private life public and the process starts all over."

Wait until the drone revolution is in full swing - you haven't seen anything.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:08 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

The tree canopy in my neighborhood will collect them pesky critters. Dennis
Old 08-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I didn't even realize I was on Candid Camera when I drove up my laneway. The good thing is it could be just visiting that house so it's hard to say. If theives want your car they will know where it is and be casing your house for a while before acting........

And my car only comes out a few times a year, think of the odds.....
Old 08-04-2015, 11:53 AM
aafadca
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
It should read, "We are going to invade your privacy, imperil your family and belongings and if you stumble across this disclaimer we might do something about it; until the next time we come by and make your private life public and the process starts all over."

I'm waiting to see what the law says about shooting them down if they're hovering above your property. That happened the other day when a father shot one down above his young daughters. Something needs to be done about them. Also around airports and airplanes.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:19 PM
vetteless in Modesto
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GEM '62
I always thought Google Earth and Google Map was a pretty cool thing, until today. I'm standing in the driveway with the car and along comes the Google truck with the camera mounted on the top taking pics of all the houses. So it may not be long until the world knows I have a Vette and where it lives.
The same thing happened to me about a month ago. My '62 has not been out of the garage in a couple of years. On the ONE DAY I take off of work to do the initial startup/cam break-in of my new engine, with the car half way out into the driveway, along comes the Google car doing its thing. Unbelievable, I mean, what were the chances? I didn't know whether to scream, cry, or just laugh. I share your concerns. My wife did her Google research on the subject, and it seems you have to wait until the new view goes live, which could be several months, and THEN you can see about getting them to blur the image. Then I wondered, "Well, how often do they update these street views?" So I checked out the current street view, and saw the For Sale sign on one of the neighbor's houses which puts it at about a year ago. So maybe they'll redo it in a year and my luck will be better. I'll definitely keep an eye out for when this goes live, and request that they make this right, because I do consider this an invasion of my privacy, but that's our world anymore. And I agree with Frankie about the advent of drones, and that "we ain't seen nothing yet". I'll get down off my soapbox now, thanks for letting me vent.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:52 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

Since I live in the country I always have a few "critter" guns handy. "Lets see, should I use the .22, shotgun or the .243?"

Gary
Old 08-10-2015, 07:10 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Well - they've made drones now even an idiot can use.....just wear a wrist band and you don't even need any skills:

https://www.lily.camera/

This one is $700; supposed to fall to $500 when sales skyrocket and R&D costs are subsumed.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-10-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:41 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Watch how this fisherman deals with the drone here in San Diego..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrzU...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-10-2015, 09:50 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVette
Watch how this fisherman deals with the drone here in San Diego..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrzU...ature=youtu.be
Love it but the drone owner is a tad unhappy.

Get notified of new replies

To Google earth

Quick Reply: Google earth