C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

L79 power steering conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 10:55 PM
67lynndale
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L79 power steering conversion

I am considering converting my '67 L79 to the factory type power steering using one of the many available kits. The car is a non-AC car.

The engine is stock and has the factory double groove crank pulley, with the standard belt from the crank to water pump (no idler).

I have not been able to get a clear answer from any of the suppliers as to what is required to change, if anything, on the crank pulley when adding PS to a stock L79 engine. Although the engine crank pulley is already a double groove pulley, the kits usually say an add-on pulley is required, which would leave me with three grooves, which doesn't sound correct.

I am wondering if the conversion requires the removal of the non-ps double groove pulley and replacing with a single groove pulley and an add-on pulley in order to get the crank outside pulley in the same plane as the new PS pump pulley. Implied in this assumption is that the non-ps crank double groove pulley, currently on my engine, will not place the outside belt in the same plane as the PS pump pulley. That's the only thing I can think of.

Sorry for the long post, but it has been an elusive issue for me and I wanted to be as complete as possible.

Thanks for any thoughts on this subject.

Regards
Tom
Old 08-04-2015, 11:25 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by 67lynndale
I am considering converting my '67 L79 to the factory type power steering using one of the many available kits. The car is a non-AC car.

The engine is stock and has the factory double groove crank pulley, with the standard belt from the crank to water pump (no idler).

I have not been able to get a clear answer from any of the suppliers as to what is required to change, if anything, on the crank pulley when adding PS to a stock L79 engine. Although the engine crank pulley is already a double groove pulley, the kits usually say an add-on pulley is required, which would leave me with three grooves, which doesn't sound correct.

I am wondering if the conversion requires the removal of the non-ps double groove pulley and replacing with a single groove pulley and an add-on pulley in order to get the crank outside pulley in the same plane as the new PS pump pulley. Implied in this assumption is that the non-ps crank double groove pulley, currently on my engine, will not place the outside belt in the same plane as the PS pump pulley. That's the only thing I can think of.

Sorry for the long post, but it has been an elusive issue for me and I wanted to be as complete as possible.

Thanks for any thoughts on this subject.

Regards
Tom
The 1967 AIM (Assembly Information Manual) has the information and details that you need.

For a 327/350 HP car it shows that the crank pulley for only PS (no AC) is a 2 belt pulley. I also checked with the NCRS Judging Manual for 1967 cars with L79, and it indicates that the crank pulley is 2 groove with part number #3858533.

The Judging Manual indicates that the 327/300 HP base engine uses a different pulley arrangement, with one groove empty This may be where the confusion comes in.

Get the AIM and read it for all these details.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 08-04-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:40 AM
67lynndale
Cruising

Originally Posted by Powershift
The 1967 AIM (Assembly Information Manual) has the information and details that you need.

For a 327/350 HP car it shows that the crank pulley for only PS (no AC) is a 2 belt pulley. I also checked with the NCRS Judging Manual for 1967 cars with L79, and it indicates that the crank pulley is 2 groove with part number #3858533.

The Judging Manual indicates that the 327/300 HP base engine uses a different pulley arrangement, with one groove empty This may be where the confusion comes in.

Get the AIM and read it for all these details.

Larry
Larry

Thanks very much for the reply.

I have both the assembly manual and the judging guide. Both confirm what I believed to be true, which is that there should be a two groove pulley on the crank (my judging guide didn't provide any part numbers for this part, perhaps it's not the most current version).
I am trying to establish if the two groove pulley on my stock L79 is the same as would be stock on an L79 with PS.
I looked up the part number you provided (thanks) and it appears to be the pulley on my car. The only reason I am questioning this further is because I have seen supposedly stock L79 engines, with PS, that have a slightly different crank pulley than mine. It appears to be two pieces, placing the outer belt in a different plane (further away from the engine) than the pulley on my car. In addition, they have a single groove on the water pump pulley where I have two.
So, I was hoping that someone on the forum has made this conversion using one of the available kits and can confirm the pulley configuration and that there is no need to change the crank pulley, or that, in fact, there is a slightly different crank pulley assembly on an L79 with PS on which neither the assembly manual or the judging guide provide details other than its a two groove pulley.

Thanks again
Tom
Old 08-05-2015, 07:20 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Larry

I have both the assembly manual and the judging guide. Both confirm what I believed to be true, which is that there should be a two groove pulley on the crank (my judging guide didn't provide any part numbers for this part, perhaps it's not the most current version).
I am trying to establish if the two groove pulley on my stock L79 is the same as would be stock on an L79 with PS.
I looked up the part number you provided (thanks) and it appears to be the pulley on my car. The only reason I am questioning this further is because I have seen supposedly stock L79 engines, with PS, that have a slightly different crank pulley than mine. It appears to be two pieces, placing the outer belt in a different plane (further away from the engine) than the pulley on my car. In addition, they have a single groove on the water pump pulley where I have two.
So, I was hoping that someone on the forum has made this conversion using one of the available kits and can confirm the pulley configuration and that there is no need to change the crank pulley, or that, in fact, there is a slightly different crank pulley assembly on an L79 with PS on which neither the assembly manual or the judging guide provide details other than its a two groove pulley.

Thanks again
Tom
Why not just install the pump, brackets, ram, hoses etc and see if the pump lines up on the same plane as your presently installed pulley. Sounds like it might very well work and if it doesnt you know you need to change the pulley.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:35 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Tom,

If the engine has the captive belt (crank to W/P) remove it. The alternator gets a different pulley (3829387) which puts that belt inboard just forward of the W/P. The current crankshaft and W/P pulleys stay the same so the alternator belt goes C/S, W/P and alternator.

The power steering belt goes outboard on the second groove and the power steering pump gets a cast iron pulley which aligns the belts. This pulley part # ends in 720. That belt goes around the crankshaft, W/P then P/S pulley's.

All these pulley's are deep groove.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:13 AM
67lynndale
Cruising

Originally Posted by tbarb
Tom,

If the engine has the captive belt (crank to W/P) remove it. The alternator gets a different pulley (3829387) which puts that belt inboard just forward of the W/P. The current crankshaft and W/P pulleys stay the same so the alternator belt goes C/S, W/P and alternator.

The power steering belt goes outboard on the second groove and the power steering pump gets a cast iron pulley which aligns the belts. This pulley part # ends in 720. That belt goes around the crankshaft, W/P then P/S pulley's.

All these pulley's are deep groove.
tbarb

Thanks very much.

Tom
Old 08-05-2015, 12:25 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Larry

Thanks again
Tom
Tom:

Some of the cars you saw may have been base engine cars (300 HP), with cosmetic changes to resemble the 350 HP engine. As stated above, the 300 HP engines used a different pulley arrangement.

I think "tbarb" has you covered.

Larry
Old 08-05-2015, 01:00 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

The kits all come with the crank shaft add on PS pulley, because some applications used it and some don't. It's just a lot easier for them to include an extra pulley in the kits, that you may not need.

On 67 327/350's, without AC, I think you want to use the cast iron, power steering pump pulley. AC cars and 300 hp ones, use the "509" stamped steel pump pulley.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:01 PM
67lynndale
Cruising

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The kits all come with the crank shaft add on PS pulley, because some applications used it and some don't. It's just a lot easier for them to include an extra pulley in the kits, that you may not need.

On 67 327/350's, without AC, I think you want to use the cast iron, power steering pump pulley. AC cars and 300 hp ones, use the "509" stamped steel pump pulley.
Larry and gbvette62

Thanks very much for your help.

Tom
Old 08-05-2015, 09:32 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Here's the '67 L-79 power steering setup (no A/C).
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2015, 10:11 PM
67lynndale
Cruising

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Here's the '67 L-79 power steering setup (no A/C).
Thanks very much. That's great!

Tom
Old 08-05-2015, 11:23 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Here's a reference I collected several years ago. I didn't compile it so I can't speak to its absolute accuracy but I believe it came from a reliable source or I wouldn't have saved it.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:38 PM
67lynndale
Cruising

Originally Posted by Mike67nv
Here's a reference I collected several years ago. I didn't compile it so I can't speak to its absolute accuracy but I believe it came from a reliable source or I wouldn't have saved it.

Thanks very much. This is very helpful and supports the photo previously received. I think I've got this. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Tom
Old 08-06-2015, 12:05 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Both the LIC and the Paragon catalogs have all of the pulley configuration illustrations....

Get notified of new replies

To L79 power steering conversion

Quick Reply: L79 power steering conversion