C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Accelerator Pedal Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 04:24 PM
66RBS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Accelerator Pedal Linkage

Gentlemen

I still have an occasional sticky throttle on my 66 and am contemplating replacing the nylon bushings [9] in the throttle linkage.

I had the ignition shield off today and access looks very limited in there to access the 2 bolts that hold the support flange to the transmission/firewall tunnel. Has anyone replaced this with the engine in the car? Looks like I will have to remove the distributor and oil line to get access to those bolts.

Randy

Old 08-20-2015, 04:30 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I may be wrong, but I think you only need to loosen the lever shaft retainer nut, then slide the rod out from inside. Clean up everything, replace the bushings, lube and carefully reassemble...after expressing your displeasure of needing to do the job. Having said all that have you tried lubing things as much as possible? Dennis
Old 08-20-2015, 04:33 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'm sure you've already checked it out but its real easy for that footwell downroad to ride off the nylon piece on the back of the pedal and snag up on the rubber ridge on the side surrounding it. I had that happen in my '63 with a repro pedal...
Old 08-27-2015, 09:12 PM
66RBS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
I may be wrong, but I think you only need to loosen the lever shaft retainer nut, then slide the rod out from inside. Clean up everything, replace the bushings, lube and carefully reassemble...after expressing your displeasure of needing to do the job. Having said all that have you tried lubing things as much as possible? Dennis
Bluestripe67 Nope not wrong!! Good observation. I got the linkage off hoping to find some bushing or shaft wear but everything clean as a whistle. Cleaned and lubed again but was able to reassemble without the 3/16" lateral play that was there previously. The arm wasn't totally bottomed out on the shaft previously allowing some left to right slop. Hopefully that may have been the source of the bind.

FTF yes I have checked the curved portion of the rod and that is centered on the nylon pad thru the pedal travel. I have checked the linkage with a mirror and no apparent binding at air cleaner or other spots.

Road test tomorrow

Randy
Old 06-28-2016, 08:42 AM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 66RBS
Gentlemen

I still have an occasional sticky throttle on my 66 and am contemplating replacing the nylon bushings [9] in the throttle linkage.

I had the ignition shield off today and access looks very limited in there to access the 2 bolts that hold the support flange to the transmission/firewall tunnel. Has anyone replaced this with the engine in the car? Looks like I will have to remove the distributor and oil line to get access to those bolts.

Randy

I then say to myself "Why do I own a manual". Thanks for picture. I am waiting for new glasses Rx. I can't see between 30-45 inches away clearly, so I have no idea inside linkage till they get my lenses in.😫
Thanks
Jax

Last edited by xkeots; 06-28-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:17 AM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I'm sure you've already checked it out but its real easy for that footwell downroad to ride off the nylon piece on the back of the pedal and snag up on the rubber ridge on the side surrounding it. I had that happen in my '63 with a repro pedal...
I have that problem on my 62!
Jax

Get notified of new replies

To Accelerator Pedal Linkage

Quick Reply: Accelerator Pedal Linkage