C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58 - Grill teeth hitting bottom grill oval

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 12:04 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Default 58 - Grill teeth hitting bottom grill oval

Hello....

As usual, I'm dealing with another perplexing issue.

When I put my grill bar/teeth on, a few of the teeth are pretty much touching the bottom grill oval. I thought I had this fixed but it appears something has changed.

I have 62 grill bumpers (thanks to an Ebay seller selling 1958-62 bumpers and I didn't know they were different) and I had them rechromed. I ended up making a bracket to tie the grill bar into them.

These are the things I'm thinking could be the issue...

1. What is the distance between the grill teeth to the bottom oval

2. The grill bar/teeth are not sticking out far enough

3. The bottom grill oval is too high (which is definitely possible with all the work done on this car

4. The left and right bumpers aren't high enough, but I have raised them about as high as I can.

So to help me out...if someone can give me these measurements, I'd be very thankful.

1. Are the back of the bumpers in-line with the back of the grill oval? My bumpers protrude about 1/2" back as I tried to show in the first picture, but it's not obvious. (see first picture).

2. What is the distance from the back of the bottom grill oval to the bottom of the middle grill tooth (closest distance)

3. What is the distance between the top and bottom grill oval from the protruding forward edge (see second picture)

4. What is the distance from the front bumper to the body (between the eyebrow and the top grill oval) (see third picture).
Attached Images    

Last edited by jusplainwacky; 08-24-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:13 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Why are two of my pictures sideways?? When I saw this, I opened them back up rotated them, saved them and then uploaded them again, and they are still sideways.

Strange...I tried to rotate them again and one rotated and the other didn't...go figure. They show correct on my PC.

Last edited by jusplainwacky; 08-23-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:04 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

Bottom inside Grill oval to the middle tooth 2 inches

dose this help?

I'm around a half inch as well.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:19 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Maybe the adjustment for your bumpers is not the issue maybe its your lower radiator support shims ?

Maybe not.Your bumper to body gap looks pretty good in the second picture.

Last edited by wilbur; 08-23-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:56 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 356 Likes on 225 Posts

Original bracket has offset holes, at least the original one on my 58 did. Everything lined up ok before I tore it down for paint.

Tom

Old 08-24-2015, 08:57 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Hmmmm, the bumper gap to the upper area looks a tad too much to me. The bumpers need to go up a bit more IMO. This will bring the grille up.

I'm not sure why you needed to make brackets for the grille bar, just some flat washers on the mount studs using original brackets would have worked. Tom's pic shows they only go one way. If you're home made brackets are not directional, that may add some extra slop to the mounts.

If your bumpers are tilting when adjusting....
I've had similar issues. When the bolts/nuts are tightened it draws the flat of the welded bumper brackets against the frame brackets which could be at a slight angle. You could pull all the brackets and re-bend and retry, over and over again.....Or ...

I often used U-shaped shims at various points at the bolts to brackets to help alignment. Sometimes under one side to tilt. The AIM often says "Shim as required" in the bumper sections.

Rich
Old 08-24-2015, 09:19 AM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Is it possible the he has the bar installed up side down?
Old 08-24-2015, 09:21 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by jusplainwacky
Why are two of my pictures sideways?? When I saw this, I opened them back up rotated them, saved them and then uploaded them again, and they are still sideways.

Strange...I tried to rotate them again and one rotated and the other didn't...go figure. They show correct on my PC.
Your Pc auto rotates them......the ones that aren't right on the forum, rotate them anyways and then repost....my iPad did that to me as well.....
Old 08-24-2015, 09:25 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

I had more than 40 hours trying to get my bumpers and teeth to look right. Spanned over three weekends....on and off..,,lots of F bombs....make sure you tape them up with blue painters tape....you don't want to scratch them now!

When you get frustrated, walk away and come back later...I did that many times....
Old 08-24-2015, 10:16 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Hey Guys...sorry for the delayed response....I didn't check "Instant Email notifications", so I didn't 'think any one replied, that was until Rich sent me an email this morning saying he responded on the forum.

Wilbur I think those measurements will at least get me in the ball park. Thanks a bunch for taking those pictures...really nice shots!

Last night while waiting for someone to respond to my POST, I continued playing with my bumpers.

I hope Frank isn't reading this POST (put chuckle here)....I got out my laser level and leveled the body, then shot along the bumpers. I noticed the drivers bumper was low so I took it off. The laser level line showed the front bracket hole was low, so I loosened up all bolts and moved the brackets up...this at least got the hole level with the passenger side bumper. I thought I figured I out...but nope.

As I tighten the bolt that I'm pointing to in this picture, the right side of the bumper really starts going up. After this, I did walk away and email Rich. The brackets must not be sitting flush...question now is which way to bend the brackets or shim. What I find strange is that I put all this on before I painted the car and all was fine. Weird.
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2015, 11:58 AM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

What I find strange is that I put all this on before I painted the car and all was fine. Weird.
Fighting the same things here........

From the picture it looks like the bumper is tilting up towards the outside. If so, you may have to do some more filing / shimming to get that down.

I know my car had reproduction brackets on it and like most reproduction parts, I had to "file to fit". Probably spent the better part of a weekend getting my grill / bumpers sorted out before taking apart for paint. Can't wait to reassemble...............

Tom
Old 08-24-2015, 12:05 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Misery loves company?? LOL...welcome to the party!

Actually I thought the same thing, but that was put to rest fairly quickly when I used the laser level and it shot along the front passenger bumper, the front bracket and the side hole on the drivers side....all were perfectly lined up.
It's got to be the front bracket...but what I find strange (as I previously mentioned)...I put all this together before paint and everything was fine. It's like the front bracket got bent somehow, but to bend that is nearly impossible.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:19 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Will you be painting the area behind the bumper/eyebrow black? Imo it looks better painted black.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:23 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

You know...I was undecided on this...I like the black also, but I also like the blue. I thought I'd put the bumpers on and take a look at it and see. the thing is, you really don't see much of it, so not sure it's worth painting it black.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:53 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Have you tried assembling everything loosely and getting the grill bar set to the right height then work outwards from there tightening the bolts?

Of course you'll need to protect the paint from the bumpers if assembled loose. Don't want any scratches on that nice paint! I'm not suggesting falling apart loose, just loose enough so you can fiddle. If you go this route, might help to remove the grill teeth first and just work with getting the bar set to the desired position.

Tom
Old 08-24-2015, 12:55 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

You know...I was undecided on this...I like the black also, but I also like the blue. I thought I'd put the bumpers on and take a look at it and see. the thing is, you really don't see much of it, so not sure it's worth painting it black.
Try putting some black electrical tape in there and see how you like (or don't) it.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:09 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I was actually going to paint a piece of paper black and stick it in there.

Get notified of new replies

To 58 - Grill teeth hitting bottom grill oval

Old 08-25-2015, 04:23 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Please paint them black.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:08 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Hey Guys...sorry for the delayed response....I didn't check "Instant Email notifications", so I didn't 'think any one replied, that was until Rich sent me an email this morning saying he responded on the forum.

Wilbur I think those measurements will at least get me in the ball park. Thanks a bunch for taking those pictures...really nice shots!

Last night while waiting for someone to respond to my POST, I continued playing with my bumpers.

I hope Frank isn't reading this POST (put chuckle here)....I got out my laser level and leveled the body, then shot along the bumpers. I noticed the drivers bumper was low so I took it off. The laser level line showed the front bracket hole was low, so I loosened up all bolts and moved the brackets up...this at least got the hole level with the passenger side bumper. I thought I figured I out...but nope.

As I tighten the bolt that I'm pointing to in this picture, the right side of the bumper really starts going up. After this, I did walk away and email Rich. The brackets must not be sitting flush...question now is which way to bend the brackets or shim. What I find strange is that I put all this on before I painted the car and all was fine. Weird.
Ok...this photo just brought back nightmares.....where the gaps are off, I had to bend the brackets slightly, I had to shim, I had to cuss, I had to put those bastards in and off, those #?%!ers!

I had to walk away.....but yes...I feel your pain!
Old 08-25-2015, 11:15 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

My bumpers we're going on and off so many times that I put duct tape over the blue tape to make sure that there weren't scratches getting on the chrome.

You need to put on and off...,it can be very frustrating, but it can be done. It just depends on the level of fussiness you want to put in and how you want it to look when you are done. Yes it is a major PIA where you are at now.

Some guys put them right on and away they go...others like you and me, we learn new ways to put cuss words together!

My buddy Jeff kept pushing me on getting the build completed..,thank god he was....still might not be done!

Quick Reply: 58 - Grill teeth hitting bottom grill oval