C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New shoes for the 67

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Good morning guys and again, thanks for the kind words. Your comments are much appreciated because YOU are true Corvette guys.

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
I have always admired all Corvettes over the years. This car is one of my favorites. I love this new look. It is so period correct!
Thanks Jack.

Originally Posted by Joe Inama
Awesome, I lov the look and stance.
Thanks Joe.

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Looks GREAT! Many moons ago a buddy of mine had a '65 with American mags and original Firestone gold lines. Seeing your pics brought back some nice memories!

Thanks Glenn..................always nice to look back on some good memories.

Originally Posted by Rickenbach
What happened to the Halibrand replicas you just bought?
Halibrands are for my 64 Z-06.

Originally Posted by mudbone64
B!tchin'. However, I do have to ask why no center caps on the wheels?
Thanks Mud.....................no caps to get the look of a 60s race car.

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Looks nice bud!!
Thanks Pat.

Originally Posted by sub006
Beautiful, understated car. It would fit in anywhere, Pebble Beach, Monaco, you name it!

Those tires don't seem too big for the rims at all. Are they really a 9" section? That would indicate about 1" of bulge past the wheel rim on each side, just don't seem that fat in the pics.

In the mid-sixties those American Racing "Corvette Disc Brake" wheels were the secret weapon for tucking "wide" 70-series street tires and race rubber into C2 fenders without removing any wheel well lip! Didn't they also come in 15 x 7 and aluminum?
Thanks very much Jim. This tire on the 15x6 wheels fits perfectly and no clearance issues at all. I wanted to use these tires on YOUR wheels on my 64 Hildebrand car but clearance was an issue.

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
If it had a New England Dragway (Epping, NH) sticker from the 70s in the back window, I could have seen it on any weekend of my youth!
Thanks Steve. I doubt it was my car...................always a California / Texas / Louisiana car til I brought it to KY a few years ago.

Here is a short video of the car running. It's a fun car, aluminum 427 and 36 gallon tank. Thanks again for all the kind and supportive comments.

Rex

Old 08-28-2015, 05:10 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I absolutely love that look, Rex. Right out of the 60's.

Like Gene (Mudbone) I also questioned the absence of center caps, but understand how that also is period correct.

Looks great.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:34 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

A great detail!
Old 08-29-2015, 01:06 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

[QUOTE=Dr L-88;1590366185]Thanks very much Jim. This tire on the 15x6 wheels fits perfectly and no clearance issues at all. I wanted to use these tires on YOUR wheels on my 64 Hildebrand car but clearance was an issue.[QUOTE]

As I warned you, the original straight-spoke, big-offset (identical dimensions to the original magnesium Torq-Thrusts) American Racing Equipment Aluminum Sport Wheels will only fit inside the stock rear C2 fender lips with 6.70 x 15 tires. Front wheel wells can handle 7.75 x 15. Because of production variations, some Sting Rays will have light interference at full lock. And I only heard about the trick of using TT D wheels on drum brake C2's at least a year AFTER I'd purchased and installed my originals.

The disc brake Americans also preserve factory offset and put less stress on suspension and steering, but they ain't as purty IMO.

And of course, stock-offset 15 x 5 1/2 steel wheels were factory-spec'ed to handle 8.20 x 15 rear tires for racing. No word if "interference" sanding may have been necessary! And you're talkin' nine-twenties WITH the lips intact.

TT's were originally designed for mid-'50s sedans with drum brakes and tons of outside fender clearance, think Tri-Five Chevys.

I'm sure Terry Hildebrand had no reservations about sanding out your car's original fender lips for wider tires. Eventually he was running really fat rubber on 8" steel C3 wheels, with the wheel openings cut all the way up to the body beltline. I did the same thing to accommodate G70-15 tires on your wheels. Finally bowed to the inevitable and installed J & D Corvette C3 flares all around. My current American Racing 200S wheels are 8 1/2 x 15 at all four corners with 50-series tires.

BTW I have a flat 12" aluminum steering wheel with black leather rim (think McLaren Group 7 equipment) I had machined to fit the C2 hub and occasionally install. My car has manual steering with tie rods set to the power steering ratio. A bear to park but at 30 mph and up it feels like the worl'ds biggest go-kart!

Happy motoring!

Last edited by sub006; 08-30-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:20 PM
ditchdigger650
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks great, right stance. Reminds me of the "Bounty Hunter"
Old 08-30-2015, 03:45 PM
Rumblegutz
Burning Brakes

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts

Just to be clear these are magnesium "D"s and not aluminum "D"s?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:22 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rumblegutz
Just to be clear these are magnesium "D"s and not aluminum "D"s?
Yes.............real magnesium.

Quick Reply: New shoes for the 67