C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 power steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 01:57 PM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Default C1 power steering

I would like to add power steering to my 57 that I have owned and really driven for 20+ years. Just want to add power steering not change to rack and pinion etc! Would like to buy a complete kit (not Dave Cranes) or if someone has pieced one together would like to know what parts you used? Again: I don't want to go the rack and pinion route, as I rebuilt my steering box many years ago and it works great ... just tired of hoarsing car around to park it. John
Old 08-27-2015, 02:05 PM
x0000rgw
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnFromVentura
I would like to add power steering to my 57 that I have owned and really driven for 20+ years. Just want to add power steering not change to rack and pinion etc! Would like to buy a complete kit (not Dave Cranes) or if someone has pieced one together would like to know what parts you used? Again: I don't want to go the rack and pinion route, as I rebuilt my steering box many years ago and it works great ... just tired of hoarsing car around to park it. John
Go to https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-steering.html

This is how I did it. This system works perfect in a C1. I've been
using it for a few years now. Total cost was around $600.
I am using a 13-14 inch steering wheel. You can park it with one
finger.
Be sure to read the parts list up front.

Raay
Old 08-27-2015, 03:13 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Here is another (pricey) idea...you'll have to search for the web site - I'm not allowed to post it here:
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2015, 07:39 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/pro...pgrade-part-2/

I wonder if it would still serve as a death spear in the event of an accident, as it doesn't look very collapsible.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:34 PM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Hoping to find a solution where I don't have to modify my stock 57 steering box?
Old 08-28-2015, 03:40 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Hoping to find a solution where I don't have to modify my stock 57 steering box?
John,

That is going to be hard to do, since the steering shaft is attached to the worm gear in the steering box on one end, and the steering wheel at the other.

The electric unit that Frankie posted still requires that the shaft and tube (that is press fit into the box casting) be cut (so that the electric power "adapter" is spliced in between both ends).

Most guys want to get rid of the existing steering box, since they "do" wear out, and then have a difficult time replacing the gears (perfect gear replacements are not "exact", if even still available). And frankly, the box is where a portion of the "steering effort" is going. A rack & pinion is a lot more precise, and may not even need power (depending on your requirements).

Good luck,
Plasticman
Old 09-15-2015, 01:39 PM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I rebuilt my 57's steering box many years ago when parts were available! I can't bring myself to cut the steering shaft for rack and pinion. If I was going to go that direction, I would use a Myers front end setup, but why stop there, I might as well get a Newman type frame etc and it goes on and on.
I came across a guy that actually had his mechanic install a David Crane PS unit on his C1 ... he has no idea what he has but I took a few pictures. His only complaint is the lack of turn radius i.e. rack and pinion problem.
Wondering if someone knows where Crane gets his kit?
Any help appreciated, John
Old 09-15-2015, 02:48 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

ABS Power Brake has on their website (click page 56 on the link below) a "Quick Ratio 1953-62 Power Steering Kit." However, I've never heard or seen any posts on anyone actually buying or installing this kit. Also, their catalog hasn't been updated in 6 years:

http://abspowerbrake.com/maincatalog_frameset.html

This may be the same setup from another vendor:

https://www.corvettebrakeparts.com/p...l.asp?prod=594
Old 09-15-2015, 02:59 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

I rebuilt my 57's steering box many years ago when parts were available! I can't bring myself to cut the steering shaft for rack and pinion. If I was going to go that direction, I would use a Myers front end setup, but why stop there, I might as well get a Newman type frame etc and it goes on and on.
I came across a guy that actually had his mechanic install a David Crane PS unit on his C1 ... he has no idea what he has but I took a few pictures. His only complaint is the lack of turn radius i.e. rack and pinion problem.
John,

I saw a video from Crane on that steering "system" in 2005. It looked very cobbled together and leaked in several places.

In other words, it was a good way to "steer" me away from it.

Plasticman
Old 09-16-2015, 01:33 AM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

You have to get used to always having the car moving when you turn the wheel. my grandmother could drive ms trucks in the 60's. we have just all become spoiled. I LOVE MY POWER RACK AND PINION. many times the steering gear is toast, regardless of whomever says they rebuilt it.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Speed Direct
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

Our Steeroids kit doesn't require cutting the steering box/column. You simply remove everything and replace it with our supplied components. If you ever choose to switch back to stock you can do so and no one would ever know our system was ever on the car. If you are going for the stock look inside the car you can go with a column that you can paint to match and everything will look nearly stock. The shape is a little different but in a black interior it blends in very well.
C1 Steeroids

Get notified of new replies

To C1 power steering

Quick Reply: C1 power steering