C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vibration at high speed

Old 08-28-2015, 10:35 AM
1965 Nassau
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration at high speed

I have a 1965 corvette I have a vibration at high speed under acceleration it starts in third and continues to fourth and on wards if you put the car in neutral at high speed it all goes away car runs smooth.I feel it in the seat and the rear view mirror vibrates in circles .The camber bolts cam lose had excessive toe out had an alignment still vibrating.Installed new tires ,two new u joints had the drive shaft balanced also had the half shaft checked their are very good .I installed a new transmission mount.I have slight bearing play in the back wheels also were the half shaft join to the differtial 1/4 play at the spindles in the differential,also the trailing arm have slight movement were it connected to the body with shims .the movement in coming when the car is jacked up and iam holding the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock,when iam doing this I am using some force .
Old 08-28-2015, 01:28 PM
tie rod
Cruising

Default Vibration

Originally Posted by 1965 Nassau
I have a 1965 corvette I have a vibration at high speed under acceleration it starts in third and continues to fourth and on wards if you put the car in neutral at high speed it all goes away car runs smooth.I feel it in the seat and the rear view mirror vibrates in circles .The camber bolts cam lose had excessive toe out had an alignment still vibrating.Installed new tires ,two new u joints had the drive shaft balanced also had the half shaft checked their are very good .I installed a new transmission mount.I have slight bearing play in the back wheels also were the half shaft join to the differtial 1/4 play at the spindles in the differential,also the trailing arm have slight movement were it connected to the body with shims .the movement in coming when the car is jacked up and iam holding the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock,when iam doing this I am using some force .
If the vibration goes away when you slip the car in neutral then its not the driveline-its the engine. Its probably a worn clutch, warped flywheel, defective harmonic damper, bent fan blades or worse an unbalanced crank or worn bearings. Any of these problems usually show up at all engine speeds and even at idle.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:38 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Check the transmission yoke and rear bushing for wear and lateral play - but taking the car out of gear at high speed probably wouldn't cause any less vibration from a worn tail shaft bushing unless the engine load is an influence.

The in/out play in the differential yokes should not be an issue. The weight of the car keeps them pressed in towards the differential.

From the way you describe the symptoms it does sound like an engine or clutch imbalance issue - but if so, you should also feel it in 1st and 2nd gear. You might look at the condition of the front differential mount bushing and U-joint angles. It could be that a U-joint angle issue will vibrate worse when under engine load than just coasting.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:01 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Another possible culprit is the diff nose snubber bushing - under drive torque load, the bracket wants to rise, and the U-joint can touch the floor pan tunnel if the bushings are worn or deteriorated; pushing in the clutch unloads the bracket and bushings.
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2015, 10:12 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Another possible culprit is the diff nose snubber bushing - under drive torque load, the bracket wants to rise, and the U-joint can touch the floor pan tunnel if the bushings are worn or deteriorated; pushing in the clutch unloads the bracket and bushings.
If this is the case, you may see evidence of the universal joint (connecting the drive shaft to the differential), contacting the tunnel in the storage compartment, such as this...

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 08-29-2015, 02:14 PM
1965 Nassau
3rd Gear

Default Hi tie rod

Originally Posted by tie rod
If the vibration goes away when you slip the car in neutral then its not the driveline-its the engine. Its probably a worn clutch, warped flywheel, defective harmonic damper, bent fan blades or worse an unbalanced crank or worn bearings. Any of these problems usually show up at all engine speeds and even at idle.
When Iam on the highway I slip the car in neutral I can rev the engine to 4500 rpm no vibration with the clutch in or out I don't think it's engine or clutch related I also don't get any vibration in first or second gear I am baffled from my vibration situation thanks for all your input
Old 08-29-2015, 02:27 PM
1965 Nassau
3rd Gear

Default 65 corvette vibration issue

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Check the transmission yoke and rear bushing for wear and lateral play - but taking the car out of gear at high speed probably wouldn't cause any less vibration from a worn tail shaft bushing unless the engine load is an influence.

The in/out play in the differential yokes should not be an issue. The weight of the car keeps them pressed in towards the differential.

From the way you describe the symptoms it does sound like an engine or clutch imbalance issue - but if so, you should also feel it in 1st and 2nd gear. You might look at the condition of the front differential mount bushing and U-joint angles. It could be that a U-joint angle issue will vibrate worse when under engine load than just coasting.
Hi when Iam on the hwy I slip the car in neutral I rev the engine to 4500rpm with the clutch in or out the car runs smooth also 1st to 2 second it has no noticeable vibration what's your opinion on this delema Iam having thanks for all your help

Get notified of new replies

To Vibration at high speed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vibration at high speed