C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 Power Window's Work W/Key Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 04:17 PM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Default 63 Power Window's Work W/Key Off

Are the power windows supposed to go up/down with ignition in the off position? Mine do. Also can bad ignition switches put a draw on the battery? I ask because after a week the battery is only good for one-crank and if it doesn't start the battery is done. New battery and I looked for other shorts and found none. (I'm no mechanic)
Thanks.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:27 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by morly1963
Are the power windows supposed to go up/down with ignition in the off position? Mine do. Also can bad ignition switches put a draw on the battery?
Yes, '63 power windows work with the ignition "off". Have you checked for the most common ignition-off current draws like the glove box light?
Old 08-28-2015, 04:31 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Just a few common things that can cause the drain:

Glove box light staying on if you have one
Clock
Diodes in alternator

Those can cause a drain with the key off.

I would disconnect the negative battery terminal, connect an ammeter between the post and the cable and read the amperage. If it's more than .02 amps (20ma) or so, I'd try disconnecting the alternator plug, and then the clock to see if the draw goes away. Most multimeters have an amperage setting on them, you usually have to move the red cable to the amperage hole in the meter. If you have an aftermarket radio, the time or station memory may be causing a draw also. There's really not much else that should have current with the key off.
I don't know about the 63, but a 64 and 65 coupe have rear fan's that are operated with a cable under the dash. It is not run through the ignition and will run any time the cable is pulled. Again, I don't even know if the 63 coupe had the fan in the rear. Just something to consider.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:31 PM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Yes, '63 power windows work with the ignition "off". Have you checked for the most common ignition-off current draws like the glove box light?
I adjusted everything so the light stays off but I'll check again-thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To 63 Power Window's Work W/Key Off

Quick Reply: 63 Power Window's Work W/Key Off