C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvettes @ Carlisle- I'm Done

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 07:11 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Ok, my two cents. I have been going to Corvette Carlisle since the first one. Yes the hotel prices are jacked up. But that is simply supply and demand. Same thing happens everywhere there is a large event. I don't like that they asked us to pay for our spots farther in advance of the show. But the other events are doing the same as well. What's the alternative,don't go to any shows?
We would all like the hotels to be cheap. The traffic getting in and out to be non existent. All of the cars there to be only what we are interested in. All the parts/cars that we want to buy to be there in excellent condition and cheap. All of the parts/cars that we want to sell to sell fast for big money. But this is the real world.
The weather this year was great. The crowds were strong. Most of the cars driven were C5/C6+.But that is to be expected but I appreciate them all so not a big deal.I am a C1/C2 guy. Yes the swap meet area was a little smaller than the past few years but still the best for Corvettes anywhere. My friends and I have a few vending spots. Because I am not quite back to full health yet I did not bring as much as I normally do. I wish that I had brought more though. My friends and I sold more than we have in years. I have already received a few emails from buyers that I met there wanting parts that I have here. So the interest was strong in C1/C2 parts. I did not find much for myself. But then again right now I don't need much. I picked up an NOS steering wheel for a friend who lives in TX. Met a few other forum members. Always nice to put faces with user names. Met some new guys through others recommending me for PPI. So I have some work to do in the near future. So a very nice show for me. My only downer was that I did not see any cars that I had to have that were for sale. Oh well I guess I will have to come back next year.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:41 PM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
......C5-6-7 is where all the big time $ are and most talk is about waxing them . .........
Or what color they are or about their lease terms. Our local Corvette club now consists of C6 and C7 cars with flashing leds under the hood, matching jackets and caps and lots of added chrome.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:46 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LSUvetteguy
Or what color they are or about their lease terms. Our local Corvette club now consists of C6 and C7 cars with flashing leds under the hood, matching jackets and caps and lots of added chrome.
Carlisle is the place to buy all that stuff now
Old 08-30-2015, 08:16 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Carlisle is the place to buy all that stuff now
When the C5 was the new car it was the place to buy all of that stuff for those cars as well. When what ever the next newest thing is out those things will be there for sale as well. Not a new business just newer items sold by the same vendors.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:21 PM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I don't like that they asked us to pay for our spots farther in advance of the show. But the other events are doing the same as well. What's the alternative,don't go to any shows?

I'm glad u had a good selling show. But you can continue to get screwed for hotel and vendors spots. I've and many others have decided to stay home.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:33 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

My experiences at Corvettes @ Carlisle since 1976 have all been FUN. The group that I hang with for the last 15 years adds too the fun. Regardless of the weather, the availiblity of parts, new or old. Nothing that we do relative too these cars is cheap and Carlisle is just like other places. Carlisle has plenty of food, good people all with one common interest. This weekend was no different. As a matter of fact it was my most interesting of all. Got Chip Foose autograph on my sun visor, Kevin McKay picked my car for an award and signed my other visor. Lance asked me to put my car in the flag display as they needed more white cars. I'm still pinching myself.. Dennis
Old 08-30-2015, 09:40 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
My experiences at Corvettes @ Carlisle since 1976 have all been FUN. The group that I hang with for the last 15 years adds too the fun. Regardless of the weather, the availiblity of parts, new or old. Nothing that we do relative too these cars is cheap and Carlisle is just like other places. Carlisle has plenty of food, good people all with one common interest. This weekend was no different. As a matter of fact it was my most interesting of all. Got Chip Foose autograph on my sun visor, Kevin McKay picked my car for an award and signed my other visor. Lance asked me to put my car in the flag display as they needed more white cars. I'm still pinching myself.. Dennis
My first visit and a wonderful time....

Here is Dennis accepting the invitation to be in the flag display

Jack

Old 08-30-2015, 10:27 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,273 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Look,
I live in So. CAL, the area of the country that everyone who lives in all other parts of the country believe is the cradle of classic car culture, and I believe they are right. Still, I have heard of Corvettes at Carlisle being America's Greatest Fun Filled All Corvette Show. I thought what kind of a corvette show could be worth beans when it is located in a sleepy little village somewhere in the Pennsylvania boonies? Finally, I felt I had to give the show a look because friends from all areas of the East repeatedly told me it is not to be missed. So, this year since I was in VA visiting family this week, I decided to rent a car, drive up and see for myself what all the fuss was about. I didn't expect to be impressed, but boy was I wrong! What a bloody good show the Millers put on. Everyone who is anyone in the corvette world was there, and I was thrilled to be there too. I talked to dozens of people I knew of but had not previously met in this hobby and could not believe the amount and variety of corvettes and parts to be seen there. So, what I had heard about Carlisle was true. If you love corvettes, and live East of the Rockies, I believe you just have to be there the last weekend of August. I know I am looking forward to going back next Summer.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:59 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
It's all about what you want to do. Buyer, parts seller, spectator? If you just want to be around others that enjoy the Corvette experience, then Lance puts on a great show.
Originally Posted by 65hihp
Look,
I live in So. CAL, the area of the country that everyone who lives in all other parts of the country believe is the cradle of classic car culture, and I believe they are right. Still, I have heard of Corvettes at Carlisle being America's Greatest Fun Filled All Corvette Show. I thought what kind of a corvette show could be worth beans when it is located in a sleepy little village somewhere in the Pennsylvania boonies? Finally, I felt I had to give the show a look because friends from all areas of the East repeatedly told me it is not to be missed. So, this year since I was in VA visiting family this week, I decided to rent a car, drive up and see for myself what all the fuss was about. I didn't expect to be impressed, but boy was I wrong! What a bloody good show the Millers put on. Everyone who is anyone in the corvette world was there, and I was thrilled to be there too. I talked to dozens of people I knew of but had not previously met in this hobby and could not believe the amount and variety of corvettes and parts to be seen there. So, what I had heard about Carlisle was true. If you love corvettes, and live East of the Rockies, I believe you just have to be there the last weekend of August. I know I am looking forward to going back next Summer.
Yup! What they said.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:13 PM
jackal396
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Well I am sure the prices of your parts have gone up in the last 26 years you have been attending and selling them there.

The corvette hobby does not have much younger blood in it, some but not a whole lot, easy to see why because of the prices of cars and parts.

jp
Old 08-31-2015, 07:54 AM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jackal396
Well I am sure the prices of your parts have gone up in the last 26 years you have been attending and selling them there.

The corvette hobby does not have much younger blood in it, some but not a whole lot, easy to see why because of the prices of cars and parts.

jp
You're dreaming if you think parts prices have gone up. My parts are worth about 1/3 less than they were 5 to 10 years ago. I'd love to break even on the parts I'm selling. I' m just trying to sell off what I have because I see where the hobby is headed.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:13 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

It's evolving like everything else. Nothing stays the same and if it does it eventually dies out. The old people don't like change but in order to keep things going you have to change to attract the new generation of Corvette owners. We are getting older and cheaper!
Old 08-31-2015, 01:05 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

Think this year finished me too. total parts sales were just short of 2k Expenses
Came in at 500 for the 5 spots , hotel was 400. fuel was 250 . plus a whole week of shop time lost . I have at least two friends who are not doing this again either . Dont know the reason for all this but you gotta admit when you cant sell the cheapest midyear in the place with good paint new interior and no mech issues for 36k . I think it is time to stop wasting money and spend more time on ebay
Old 08-31-2015, 01:21 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I've been going to Carlisle for 30 years and it's still my favorite 3 days of the year. I can't speak from a vendor's perspective, but it just never gets old to me. Still plenty to see, plenty of vendors and yes alot of C5, C6 and C7's. I must confess to driving my newer car. It's a 1,000 mile round trip for me. Vendors may be down a little but I'm not restoring them any more. My cars are done.

They do jack up the motel prices for the event but hey, if we can afford these cars, 2 nights in a motel. some dinners out and $60 to park in the Fun Field shouldn't break the bank. I enjoy seeing old friends most of all. As was said, it is what you make of it. I think Lance and his staff do a great job. I will continue to go every year
Old 08-31-2015, 01:33 PM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

I stopped going before they held the first event.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:59 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,273 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Great! Good to know.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:35 PM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paulywannafly
Think this year finished me too. total parts sales were just short of 2k Expenses
Came in at 500 for the 5 spots , hotel was 400. fuel was 250 . plus a whole week of shop time lost . I have at least two friends who are not doing this again either . Dont know the reason for all this but you gotta admit when you cant sell the cheapest midyear in the place with good paint new interior and no mech issues for 36k . I think it is time to stop wasting money and spend more time on ebay
Like Bob Dylan said: "The times they are a changing". I have been going to Carlisle since the early 80's. My first visit was always the "J" row. Now since this row is slowly dwindling, I don't think I will be driving 1000 miles there and back just to look at the late model stuff. My 5 cents worth (no more Canadian pennies being made).

Last edited by wonderful; 08-31-2015 at 02:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettes @ Carlisle- I'm Done

Old 08-31-2015, 02:39 PM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by capevettes
I've been going to Carlisle for 30 years and it's still my favorite 3 days of the year. I can't speak from a vendor's perspective, but it just never gets old to me. Still plenty to see, plenty of vendors and yes alot of C5, C6 and C7's. I must confess to driving my newer car. It's a 1,000 mile round trip for me. Vendors may be down a little but I'm not restoring them any more. My cars are done.

They do jack up the motel prices for the event but hey, if we can afford these cars, 2 nights in a motel. some dinners out and $60 to park in the Fun Field shouldn't break the bank. I enjoy seeing old friends most of all. As was said, it is what you make of it. I think Lance and his staff do a great job. I will continue to go every year
$60 to park in a field? I forgot you do get a diddy bag with catalogs and a few number two pencils. Seems alittle high to me. From what i've read here the show car people love it. But the rest have had it. Why anyone in their right mind would send their money in ten months ahead is beyond me. From what I saw you could call in a few months before the event and still get a desent spot. If you're crazy enough to want go lose money.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:43 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I just talked to a good friend in the classic car consignment business. He sells 12-20 cars monthly and 80% go overseas. Times ARE truly changing !
Old 08-31-2015, 03:00 PM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I just talked to a good friend in the classic car consignment business. He sells 12-20 cars monthly and 80% go overseas. Times ARE truly changing !
A German friend from another forum asked me to check on a car he had bought that was in a warehouse in Oakland awaiting shipment to Germany. I went to the warehouse and was surprised to see the sheer number of vintage cars going overseas.

Quick Reply: Corvettes @ Carlisle- I'm Done