C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvettes @ Carlisle- I'm Done

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 10:39 PM
still cruzin
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
But don't you like the thrill of actually touching, feeling and inspecting the part before you bought it.
Absolutely! Not complaining.The event was well worth it to me. And I'll be there next year as well! Just pointing out the big vendors are no longer a big savings just because they show up!

As this thread started out, I'm sure it has to do with State Sales tax regulations and event fees! When the government gets involved and greed, we all pay!

Bob
Old 09-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
But don't you like the thrill of actually touching, feeling and inspecting the part before you bought it.
You don't get. Every year there is less and less vendors going. You'll have less quality parts to look at too. Soon it will be just like The GM nationals in the vendor area.

*I got my renewal letter today for Corvettes @ Carlisle. It went right in the trash from the mailbox. I hope others do the same.*
Old 09-28-2015, 04:15 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Tevroc98
*I got my renewal letter today for Corvettes @ Carlisle. It went right in the trash from the mailbox. *
Mine came today too. Almost $800, it's not going in the trash, but I'm getting rid of some of my spaces,.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:23 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Next year will be a great event for all who come out, and 2017, the year of the 1967 will be huge! Looking forward to both. Wouldn't miss them.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:00 PM
JBrooke825
Drifting

Received 232 Likes on 157 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Default carsile

nothing ever stays the same . if you need something get it on line go up and try to enjoy yourself. have fun.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:27 PM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I won't be going back either

What i see there is mostly a bunch of rusty, bent up parts most likely removed from cars being restored. Junk. I can not believe some of the crap that people are trying to sell for big $. 2017 will be the last big year for C2 cars. With the age of most of the attendees that I saw at Carlisle, 60+, (except for the young women with their sugar daddies') many of whom have more than 1 car, who will be buying these old cars? Most have, or have had the C2 that they always dreamed of, and find that these old cars require constant attention. I do not believe that after the big year=2017 the value of these C2 cars will continue to rise(unless you have a special original, rare car). Just look at the cars for sale here now. Nice cars that can't get $40K. It was not that way just a few years, or even a few months ago. Enjoy your car and drive it (I have driven my 67' almost 6K miles since May), as an investment, well, hang on.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:34 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Things change.

I'm not sure eBay is the answer but it's worth a try. I was impressed by the Lakeland show last year. Lots of straight axle parts.

As far as hotel prices some of you need to get out more often. Try booking a room for the Monterey Historics, Amelia Island or the Daytona 500. Amelia is between $500 and $700 a night with a 3-night minimum. Days Inn in Daytona is $500 a night for Speedweeks with a 5 night minimum.

The trick, as others have mentioned, is to stay a few miles away. At Daytona I always stay in Ormand Beach. At Homestead I always stay in Kendall. You get good rates if you're willing to drive 15 minutes.

Hey - I remember when Mike's FunFest was free.

Richard Newton
Old 09-29-2015, 09:07 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by oldgold49er
I do not believe that after the big year=2017 the value of these C2 cars will continue to rise(unless you have a special original, rare car).
I'm not sure even those prices will hold up - after all, there are more of them being made every day!
Old 09-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by leadking
The internet and Ebay in particular has killed parts shopping at car shows. Why would someone schlep parts hundreds of miles in hopes of finding a buyer. Not that I like what has occurred, but explaining the trend.
I was going just to get rid of some of my larger parts. But now its just not worth it. I'd be better to throw them in the trash and save a ton of money on entry fee and hotel costs. I'll sell them on Ebay and just advertise that its local pick up only.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:31 AM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

Why not sell it on the CF and save all the E-Bay fee's?
Originally Posted by Tevroc98
I was going just to get rid of some of my larger parts. But now its just not worth it. I'd be better to throw them in the trash and save a ton of money on entry fee and hotel costs. I'll sell them on Ebay and just advertise that its local pick up only.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:42 AM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Brian ,I have done that too. I usably post them here first then ebay.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:19 AM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

I think swap meets are still the best way to sell large/heavy items due to the high cost of shipping. Limited buyers though ,of course.

Verne
Old 09-30-2015, 12:01 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

This forum is great for parts that can be shipped inexpensively.

Richard Newton
Old 09-30-2015, 02:50 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I have gone to C@C since the beginning and have only missed two. First too admit many things have changed and will continue too do so. The cars are my passion, and along with that comes the great friends that I have made. This year was my 18th three/four day stay. It's all about the fun, adventure, and surprises that come along. I don't let the cost blind me to the good times, life is too short! Dennis
Old 10-01-2015, 07:41 AM
Jbabek
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

This was my first year at Corvette Carlisle. A few observations:

I observed a few bad things, and a few good. The first bad thing is I went twice to sign up for NCRS. Both times, the people in the booth wouldn't even acknowledge that I was standing there asking about the club. I guess they have all the members they need.

Both the SRIII and Billy Dawson were there. While I have been contemplating if it is right to restomod my '60, it was invaluable to see both chassis and speak with these vendors. Both were forthcoming, friendly, and their chassis are very high quality. Seeing and touching both chassis was worth the price of admission. If I go this route (thinking about safety of a car that actually stops and turns), I am sure to use one of theirs.

I tried to buy a model car for my son. The car had a $4 price tag on it. The vendor told me it was $10. I told him it had a $4 price tag, and he laughed something about inflation. I politely put it down and moved on. It left the same taste in my mouth as at the NCRS booth.

Four vehicles stood out at the show (for me, don't make this personal), and was also worth the time and money to see.

First was the prototype of the 1953 car. The people showing it showed the V8 motor that was not original, but was a retrofit by GM to test if the chassis could handle the power of a V8. The vendor was great about answering questions and opened up the car for us to see.

The second was a black '60 that had the best paint I have ever seen on a Corvette.

The third was a beautifully done '54 restomod from Tennessee. The owner was very friendly and did an outstanding job. It is guys like this that make cruise nights fun.

The fourth was 'Carol's 62', a beautiful restomod mod done by Carol and Charles Bernhardt. It is always cool to see both the car and the owners. Their cars are suburb and the Bernhardt's epitomize the best qualities of the hot rod world.

The rest of the show was just OK. I gave up walking through the swap meet section as there wasn't anything of particular value, only lots of rusty old stuff that wasn't worth restoring. The vendors were a little better, but nothing really stood out.

At 39 years old, I also ask about the future of the industry. I saw few people at the show capable of purchasing a $70k vehicle, although there were many who could build one. The wealth necessary to continue raising prices was not at the show. In the next 10 years, I see either the cars will become Ferrari-type commodities and play things of the wealthy, or a steep drop in prices, with the latter being most likely.

I did come away from the show with a nervousness of putting money in my '60. I believe it will become a buyers market in the coming years.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:47 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Concerning the NCRS (in my opinion).
I believe the only place at Carlisle to join NCRS is possibly at the NCRS large booth in a building below the grand stands.
The other NCRS booths were chapters which should of given you the correct info so you could join.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jbabek
This was my first year at Corvette Carlisle. A few observations:

I observed a few bad things, and a few good. The first bad thing is I went twice to sign up for NCRS. Both times, the people in the booth wouldn't even acknowledge that I was standing there asking about the club. I guess they have all the members they need.

Both the SRIII and Billy Dawson were there. While I have been contemplating if it is right to restomod my '60, it was invaluable to see both chassis and speak with these vendors. Both were forthcoming, friendly, and their chassis are very high quality. Seeing and touching both chassis was worth the price of admission. If I go this route (thinking about safety of a car that actually stops and turns), I am sure to use one of theirs.

I tried to buy a model car for my son. The car had a $4 price tag on it. The vendor told me it was $10. I told him it had a $4 price tag, and he laughed something about inflation. I politely put it down and moved on. It left the same taste in my mouth as at the NCRS booth.

Four vehicles stood out at the show (for me, don't make this personal), and was also worth the time and money to see.

First was the prototype of the 1953 car. The people showing it showed the V8 motor that was not original, but was a retrofit by GM to test if the chassis could handle the power of a V8. The vendor was great about answering questions and opened up the car for us to see.

The second was a black '60 that had the best paint I have ever seen on a Corvette.

The third was a beautifully done '54 restomod from Tennessee. The owner was very friendly and did an outstanding job. It is guys like this that make cruise nights fun.

The fourth was 'Carol's 62', a beautiful restomod mod done by Carol and Charles Bernhardt. It is always cool to see both the car and the owners. Their cars are suburb and the Bernhardt's epitomize the best qualities of the hot rod world.

The rest of the show was just OK. I gave up walking through the swap meet section as there wasn't anything of particular value, only lots of rusty old stuff that wasn't worth restoring. The vendors were a little better, but nothing really stood out.

At 39 years old, I also ask about the future of the industry. I saw few people at the show capable of purchasing a $70k vehicle, although there were many who could build one. The wealth necessary to continue raising prices was not at the show. In the next 10 years, I see either the cars will become Ferrari-type commodities and play things of the wealthy, or a steep drop in prices, with the latter being most likely.

I did come away from the show with a nervousness of putting money in my '60. I believe it will become a buyers market in the coming years.
Wow ,Rude people at ncrs??? Hard to believe . What till you take off work, load your car n travel to an event and get treated like crap. Id bypass signing up with them. To many other organization that are a hell of a lot more friendly and actually want you as a member. That was just the tip of the iceburg that you observed. What ever you decide just go have fun with the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettes @ Carlisle- I'm Done

Old 10-01-2015, 03:17 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

If you have a C1 join SACC.
Fantastic club, people drive their cars and have FUN.

I belong to NCRS and do have fun , but it is hard to get members to drive their cars , other then C5's and NEWER.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:21 PM
wjw2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Im one of the lucky ones that lives about 2 hours away so we go every year and stay 3 days. I think its more about the comradery for me in the 63-67section and just seeing and experiencing the whole show. I have been able to pick up a few parts over the years for my 64 like the 2818 carb and 461 intake. This year my buddy and i ferried the cars across the susquehanna river on the millersburg ferry. It is a mile across and took about 25 minutes to navigate the real paddle wheel boat across with 4 cars on it. If anyone is interested i have included a link and pic. It dumps you out on rt 34 which will take you into Carlisle. see you next year.......bill

http://www.millersburgferry.org/2136/2157.html
The following users liked this post:
champs65 (10-03-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 10:38 PM
63redvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

before we all give up on our traditions like Carlisle, and yes we know as business owners and vendors that it's tougher these days for many factors; but this is a photo of a guys truck that is the same as my great grandfathers in Texas in 1916. He deals with the parts seeking troubles and such but never gives up. Perseverance is the only thing that saves American icons like our vettes and my family's traditions. Let's find a way to keep our Carlisle fun going, not just pack up and leave it behind. I have been praying to make it to Carlisle for over 25 years and I would hate to drive up and see it closed like Wally World on the movie Vacation.

Quick Reply: Corvettes @ Carlisle- I'm Done