C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Leather or Vinyl Seats for a Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Leather is more elegant but less durable. Have original red vinyl upholstery in my '61 and it's still nice. Have original blue vinyl in my '65 GTO and it's still nice. Have reproduction Legendary white vinyl in my '67 GTO that's 23 years old and looks like brand new still. Easy to clean. Have original leather in my '94 4Runner, and it's looked shabby and has been worn through for the past 12 years. It's also been my experience that leather really doesn't breathe any better than vinyl....cloth does.
I don't have experience with vinyl in the corvette but I agree the leather seats do not "breathe" well. At least the non-perforated ones in the 65. My white seats stay cool to the touch after sitting in 95 deg sun but after riding for an hour my back and butt are sweating like crazy!

Tom
Old 09-02-2015, 03:00 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Man, some of you guys must be gettin' pretty old if you need seat heaters in a C2 for Gods sake! Do you also wear a shawl and blanket when sittin' in your rockers at home too.

Gary
We don't live in CA where the weather is always perfect. When I left San Diego I left the best weather I ever lived in.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:49 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,037 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Man, some of you guys must be gettin' pretty old if you need seat heaters in a C2 for Gods sake! Do you also wear a shawl and blanket when sittin' in your rockers at home too.

Gary
I click on the seat heaters when the shawl, wool scarf and blankie just don't cut it In reality, with the seat heaters I can run top down in the winter. People in their terrariums, I mean SUVs, are astounded when they see us doing down the road top down on a misty coastal day. If they take pictures, we make the Hang Loose sign and smile big. We are alive and they are mere observers.

Quick Reply: Leather or Vinyl Seats for a Daily Driver