C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1967 Wipers maflunctioning

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:21 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 288 Likes on 163 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Default 1967 Wipers maflunctioning

I got caught in the rain this past Saturday and had to drive in the rain (oh the horror). The wipers came on and worked in low speed and high speed, the problem is that they would not shut off when I turned the switch to OFF. They would run for another minute or three and then shut down and park in the correct positions.

I have no clue as to a remedy as I thought (I know, there I go thinking again) that if the switch shut off the power, or the ground, it should stop, period. No delay in stopping.

Any ideas?

DonO
Old 09-02-2015, 07:44 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,014 Likes on 578 Posts

I had a similar experience with my 66 a while back. Problem started as you described, after some time functionality worsened to where they would only move partially and wouldnt turn off at the switch anymore. I resorted to just taking off the harness plug at the wiper motor to keep them turned off till I fixed it. (rebuilt)
Willcox has a video that you might find helpful. It may describe your problem at the 3:35 mark of this youtube vid.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:33 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by vetsvette2002
I got caught in the rain this past Saturday and had to drive in the rain (oh the horror). The wipers came on and worked in low speed and high speed, the problem is that they would not shut off when I turned the switch to OFF. They would run for another minute or three and then shut down and park in the correct positions.

I have no clue as to a remedy as I thought (I know, there I go thinking again) that if the switch shut off the power, or the ground, it should stop, period. No delay in stopping.

Any ideas?

DonO
Sounds like the park relay isn't dropping when you go to "off" - probably the motor is full of dried-up caked-on old grease; clean that stuff out, clean it up, re-lubricate the mechanisim, and you should be OK.

Get notified of new replies

To 1967 Wipers maflunctioning

Quick Reply: 1967 Wipers maflunctioning