C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Stupid Mishaps on Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 08:01 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Default Stupid Mishaps on Corvettes

Yesterday was working on corvette made a mistake had screw driver
in pocket upside down punctured driver seat . Always have cover on just got back from show and had them off.
Last year someone open hood at car show, air cleaner hole burnt under hood causing for hood repaint .
Things like this happen no matter how careful you are ,
Had towel on air cleaner lid it blew of when this judge opened my hood.

Took seat to upholstery shop try to fix it the problem these seats were vinyl and were in good shape may go leather this winter if The repair doesn't look good enough. No pictures this time no time

A friend of mine just got his street rod out of paint shop and hit floor shift with high idle and ran it into his garage wall
Like I said could be worst.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Never, ever put a tool in your pocket - bad safety practice...it'll hole your car or you sooner or later. When carrying a screwdriver or other metal tool around the car I put my hand over the sharp end. I'll heal my car won't. And, yes, one of those over-priced elastic air cleaner covers are a good idea or else keep the hood closed....a shop towel or rag can blow off quite easily.

Yes, stupid stuff happens, I left a show early because of a rain threat two weeks ago and forget I had that elastic cloth air cleaner cover on. Car ran like crap and then the problem hit me.....luckily I hadn't gotten on the turnpike yet!

I did the dumb *** double oil filter canister "O" ring trick when I first got my '61....4-1/2 quarts of oil dumped on the street and a barely averted engine disaster...

I have a friend that got in a hurry and backed out of his garage with his hood up and the garage door only partially open. The hood wound up on the garage floor!

Ya know what ? Ya get PO'ed, then laugh about it and then "hitch up your drawers" and get on with fixing it...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-02-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:13 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Classis examples of why I always advise to keep the hood shut whenever possible.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:26 AM
DomL64
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Keeping the hood shut doesn't always work.
Many years ago I was working on my 64. I had just put on a stinger hood and took the car for a ride around the block. Slowly since I hadn't bolted the hood on yet.
Brother in law asked to drive. I told him keep it under 35 since the hood wasn't bolted on and it starts to lift at 40. Dumb move. He ground through the gears and the hood went flying. Luckily, it didn't hit anything and there was no cars on the street. The only casualty was the front right corner. Talk about lucky.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:45 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,009 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by DomL64
Keeping the hood shut doesn't always work.
Many years ago I was working on my 64. I had just put on a stinger hood and took the car for a ride around the block. Slowly since I hadn't bolted the hood on yet.
Brother in law asked to drive. I told him keep it under 35 since the hood wasn't bolted on and it starts to lift at 40. Dumb move. He ground through the gears and the hood went flying. Luckily, it didn't hit anything and there was no cars on the street. The only casualty was the front right corner. Talk about lucky.
Dom, I did something very similar many years ago. My GF at the time had a '58, and we had traded cars while I did some work on it. I set the hood on when I was done, it was dark so I figured I'd bolt it down the next morning.

Of course the next morning I forgot about it, and jumped in the car and started for her house. Halfway there, in the traffic on the other side I saw HER headed for MY place. So I waited for a break in traffic, hung a U, and put my foot in it. Somewhere about 40 mph there was a "FWOOM" and that hood took off like a big kite!

Amazingly, it did not hit anybody and did not shatter - 45 years later I don't recall if it hit in the road or in the grass next to the road. One corner had a small contusion on the fiberglass but overall it was remarkably intact.

Here's a pic of the car. Yep, looks mangy, but the GF was about 19 at the time and didn't have the $$ for what it needed. Car apparently still exists somewhere in Washington state.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:11 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Never, ever put a tool in your pocket - bad safety practice...it'll hole your car or you sooner or later. When carrying a screwdriver or other metal tool around the car I put my hand over the sharp end. I'll heal my car won't. And, yes, one of those over-priced elastic air cleaner covers are a good idea or else keep the hood closed....a shop towel or rag can blow off quite easily.
I do the same thing with screw drivers when anywhere around one of my cars - I keep a finger or palm over the end of it in case I trip or something. Same with sockets - I always wrap my hand around the ratchet and socket in case it decides to slip off just as I'm reaching across a fender. I learned that after a socket fell and bounced off a fender. And of course a big one - always look behind the car before backing out of the garage. I just paid Ford $220 to repaint the rear bumper on my otherwise pristine Lightning when I failed to do so and backed into a wheelborrow.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:56 AM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Been there with the air cleaner reflection. I couldn't believe it because I knew better and just wasn't thinking. I never open my hood now in the sun.

After getting gas in the 66 one morning headed to a ncrs meet I heard a bang about a half mile from the station. It was the lid slamming shut. I pulled a quick u turn and my original cap was still at the pump thank goodness! There's always something.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:35 AM
65Bob-bo
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Flat blade screw drivers are sharp, especially the small ones to remove knock off caps. They beat out leather every time.
Make sure door is closed when pushing out the car.
NASA was not calling for me that day.

Last edited by 65Bob-bo; 09-02-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by jasonsamara
Been there with the air cleaner reflection. I couldn't believe it because I knew better and just wasn't thinking. I never open my hood now in the sun.
This pic should convince anybody...it was my '63 at a Florida cruise in just before I closed the hood !
That white spot had the heat of a supernova and washed the picture out so much the car appears orange...
That parabolic mirror around the air cleaner wing nut is the culprit !
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-02-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:33 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Lotsa Hood Mishaps

Here's one (not mine) that made me wince when I read it years ago.

Don Sherman did a series in a classic car mag on a '67 big block convertible restoration he did. Maybe you remember it -- Don repackaged the content into a pretty cool book.

Anyway, after a tremendous amount of bodywork to get it perfect, and then a gorgeous black paintjob with red stinger, he excitedly picked the immaculate car up to trailer it home.

For some strange reason, he backed the car onto the trailer and didn't secure the hood. The hinges were attached, but no latches as I recall.

So he's tooling along and glances in the rearview mirror, only to see his hood standing straight up and then bending back over the nose.

Fortunately the trip back to the bodyshop was a short one.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Damn, those kinds of stories make we wince.

I can be first-class dumb-azz but have yet to knacker up my '65.

"Yet" is the operative word here.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:10 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Most of you know I'm in the final stages of getting my 65 project on the road. Well its in the garage with a fresh $$,$$$ paint job.

So I have two 3' tools on the top of my workbench cabinets setting side by side one of which is a pry bar with a 45 deg bend at the end and the other is a big screwdriver. I needed the pry bar so I jumped up and grabbed it and in the process it launched the screwdriver which did a complete summersault and landed handle down on the workbench did a bounce and a 3/4 flip to than land on the rear peak of the light panel.

Now I watched all this happen in slow motion and yelled nooooooooo in slow motion but to avail. Yep chipped paint.

I no longer have tools on my workbench cabinets.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:03 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Originally Posted by MikeM
Classis examples of why I always advise to keep the hood shut whenever possible.

If your working on your lawn mower..no problem.. just stick that pry bar and lead knock off hammer in your pocket.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:07 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

In all honesty... I must say...that once and only once while the hood was up and I was wrenching on one of my serp belt mounts on the passenger side and did push up on the hood which caused it to slam on my Head.

I am also in the "DA"Association..

Last edited by Viet Nam Vett; 09-03-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:42 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM
For the most part & most cars I have the hood stays shut at car shows. The cars look better, the inquisitive can always ask me to open it.

Dan
Old 09-02-2015, 07:34 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
:
Last year someone open hood at car show, air cleaner hole burnt under hood causing for hood repaint .
Things like this happen no matter how careful you are ,
Had towel on air cleaner lid it blew of when this judge opened my hood.
Was the hood popped with pins resting on the latches or did these guys reach inside to pull the hood release? .. Heck of a way to get stung for a hood repaint.
John

Last edited by mrg; 09-02-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:52 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
Was the hood popped with pins resting on the latches or did these guys reach inside to pull the hood release? .. Heck of a way to get stung for a hood repaint.
John
They had a rookie judge that day nobody came up to admit it .
But got it second hand .
I took my friend that is older to the food stand for 15 minutes and tell another friend to shut his hood he had a 64 c2 due to strong sun I noticed reflecting on hood.
While walking back and looked over to my car the hood was up and smoking .The towel had blew of the top of the air cleaner .When I walked over to the food stand the hood was laying down due to wind blowing and strong sun. Looking out for others I got burned trying to save another corvette.
The year before I say this happen in my driveway when my car was black so I knew it could happen in minutes and sure enough it did.
If you get a non shiny air cleaner you would be ok.

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid Mishaps on Corvettes

Old 09-02-2015, 08:11 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Viet Nam Vett
If your working on your lawn mower..no problem.. just stick that pry bar and lead knock off hammer in your pocket.
If you have a Rochester FI sittin' on top of the engine, you don't have those kinds of problems. Who wants to look at a dirty old WCFB or AFB. Whether it's a SWC or a convertible.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:27 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
They had a rookie judge that day nobody came up to admit it .
But got it second hand .
I took my friend that is older to the food stand for 15 minutes and tell another friend to shut his hood he had a 64 c2 due to strong sun I noticed reflecting on hood.
While walking back and looked over to my car the hood was up and smoking .The towel had blew of the top of the air cleaner .When I walked over to the food stand the hood was laying down due to wind blowing and strong sun. Looking out for others I got burned trying to save another corvette.
The year before I say this happen in my driveway when my car was black so I knew it could happen in minutes and sure enough it did.
If you get a non shiny air cleaner you would be ok.
It really amazes me how people do not believe. The day I bubbled mine I parked right beside a friends original 60. His hood was up so I opened mine, the only difference was his cleaner was original and dull and mine is nice and chromed. I tell everyone that has a Corvette at car shows about it and nobody ever believes me. I even saw some nice cars at Carlisle with the hood up and no protection. Mine was up for about 3-4 hours. You could follow the angle of the sun right down my paint. Left bubbles about 2" long.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:43 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Many years ago, more then 40, I had new paint and chrome on my 27T street rod. Standing outside the car, I reached in and started it.
It started right up and since it was in gear it proceeded forward.
The reversed 32 front end, with the tie rod right across the front hit something and bent.
Knowing my temper, I walked over to a step latter and with all my anger and force I could gather, I wisely flung it out of the garage.
The hammer that was on top of the latter managed to find it's way to the new paint.
Anybody that has never done anything stupid is either lying or
has never done anything.
Larry

Quick Reply: Stupid Mishaps on Corvettes