C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Detailing Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Captain Bud
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Default Detailing Engine

I'm trying to find information about the color of parts in the engine compartment. I know the engine is Chevy orange but what about other things for example front motor mount. Is there any information or pictures available?
Thanks, Bud
Old 09-02-2015, 10:09 AM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

NCRS Judging Manual is a good resource if you want it like factory. Requesting specific pictures on here will get you tons of help but you should get the manual for starters.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:35 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Telling people what year car you are talking about would be helpful here.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Tmichaelson
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 135 Posts

Default Serious

Sounds like your serious about correct information. You need the NCRS Judging Manual for your cars particular year as mentioned above -- period.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:04 AM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Captain Bud
I'm trying to find information about the color of parts in the engine compartment. I know the engine is Chevy orange but what about other things for example front motor mount. Is there any information or pictures available?
Thanks, Bud
A NCRS Technical Information Manual and Judging Guide for your year car will be an invaluable tool.

The simple answer to your question is that engines were painted orange at the engine plants (Flint and Tonawanda) and shipped to St. Louis. Some of the parts assembled to the engine at the engine plants got varying amounts of orange paint over the years (exhaust manifolds, bellhousings, etc.). But parts assembled to the engine at St. Louis were not painted orange. Another way to look at it, if an engine part is shown in the AIM (UPC 6 or RPO), it was installed at St. Louis and was not painted orange. Generally, those items were either painted/dipped black, coated, or left natural. The Judging Guide will help you with the finish of most parts assembled to the engine at St. Louis.

Below is a pic, posted by JohnZ several years ago, showing a rack of engines received from the engine plant. Note the “dress” level.

Last edited by Mike67nv; 09-03-2015 at 01:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Detailing Engine

Quick Reply: Detailing Engine