C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

61 brake light mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 06:30 PM
Ozruss61
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 61 brake light mystery

Can anyone help? On my 61 the passenger side brake won't work when the indicator is applied. Individually it all works fine, that is the left and right indicator work as normal, the tail lights work as normal, and BOTH brake lights work as normal. When I apply the brakes and put the left indicator on, it works as it should (right brake light stays on and left light flashes) but when I apply the brakes and put the right indicator on, I lose everything (No indicator and no brake lights. Have pulled all lights out and cleaned up the earth contact points. I even ran 2 seperate wires from the front of the car to the rear lights to provide a seperate earth. Not sure what to do next. Any thoughts?
Cheers Russell
Old 09-02-2015, 09:06 PM
6D2148
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts

It's in the t\s switch
Old 09-03-2015, 12:20 AM
Ozruss61
Instructor

Do you mean the turn signal switch behind the steering wheel. If so what should I be looking for?
Cheers.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:28 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

I agree the directional/turn-signal switch up in the column, or wiring in the switch harness is the fault. The Violet wire talks to the Right Rear brake lamp as shown below.

Coming from the lower column are the switch wires that control the lamps. Check them for shorts to the column wire clamp or opens in the mating connector harness.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:11 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Before you tear into your steering hub make sure that the wires in these two connectors are the same colors going in and out and the wires are pushed in TIGHT on both ends....this is you turn signal/brake bundle ...
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2015, 07:15 PM
Ozruss61
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Before you tear into your steering hub make sure that the wires in these two connectors are the same colors going in and out and the wires are pushed in TIGHT on both ends....this is you turn signal/brake bundle ...
My connectors don't look that good. Wires have been removed,cut,rejoined,different colours added so it makes it a bit hard to trace but I will percevere and try and nut it out. The wiring has never been replaced.i am wondering what's involved in replacing the whole wiring harness, both $ & time. I am mechanicllly and electrically minded.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:25 PM
Ozruss61
Instructor

Originally Posted by rich5962
I agree the directional/turn-signal switch up in the column, or wiring in the switch harness is the fault. The Violet wire talks to the Right Rear brake lamp as shown below.

Coming from the lower column are the switch wires that control the lamps. Check them for shorts to the column wire clamp or opens in the mating connector harness.

Thanks Rich for that diagram. That helps a lot. Hopefully i can work it out from that and not be concentrating on the rear lamp Assy. Am away on holidays at moment and will continue the battle when I get back home in a weeks time.
Once again ,thank you very much.
Cheers Russell
Old 09-03-2015, 08:48 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Ozruss61
My connectors don't look that good. Wires have been removed,cut,rejoined,different colours added so it makes it a bit hard to trace but I will percevere and try and nut it out. The wiring has never been replaced.i am wondering what's involved in replacing the whole wiring harness, both $ & time. I am mechanicllly and electrically minded.
The job ain't that hard and you best do it to avoid future issues
Old 09-04-2015, 12:11 AM
Ozruss61
Instructor

The job ain't that hard and you best do it to avoid future issues
Yeh. Your probably right. Where is the best place to buy a wiring harness from or more to the point ,who would you recommend . I will have to have it posted to Australia, so I might as well get the harnesses to do the whole car. Does the dash pad need to be removed to install the harness assembly?
Cheers
Old 09-04-2015, 07:07 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

You do NOT have to remove the dash pad to do the underdash harness. Both Lectric Limited and M&H offer quality harnesses with great instructions...you'll want the whole thing including the one with the fuse box. I would prob go with Lectric Limited personally.

You may also want to order some Dr. Rebuild pictorial schematic diagrams as well. Just Google OOSOEZ and order the ones for a '61.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Ozruss61
Instructor

You do NOT have to remove the dash pad to do the underdash harness. Both Lectric Limited and M&H offer quality harnesses with great instructions...you'll want the whole thing including the one with the fuse box. I would prob go with Lectric Limited personally.

You may also want to order some Dr. Rebuild pictorial schematic diagrams as well. Just Google OOSOEZ and order the ones for a '61.
Thanks for the advice Frankie. I will google those companies and get that happening. I've been concerned about the wiring since I had the car shipped out here 2 years ago, and now I have it registered and on the road it's starting to cause unwanted problems. It would be best to go with new wiring as you said.
Cheers Russell

Get notified of new replies

To 61 brake light mystery

Quick Reply: 61 brake light mystery