C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Building a 9" IRS need some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 05:58 AM
Driveshaft Shop
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a 9" IRS need some help

Hi, im in the process of doing a 9" IRS system for my 1966 Corvette, the car i purchased has a solid diff and wider fenders so i kinda need some help with some dimensions. Can anyone tell me what the width of a stock C2 IRS is from wheel face or mount to Wheel face. i cant seem to find the right info. also im sure this has been asked 100 times but whats the widest wheel a "stock fender" car can run (offset and tire size)
i was able to find these but not the C2, also does anyone know for certain the C2 and the C3 rear complete are the same except for maybe the width (i bought a old 1978 to use a template as some of the mounting points are not on my 66.

59.5 72-82
69-72 59.4
84-90 = 60.4"
91-96 = 59.1"
ZR1 = 60.6"

this is the housing im going to use, i want to use a C5 lower A-Arm and spindle with a custom upper and rod to go to the frame.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:38 PM
mrichard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Rear Track Width for 9" Independent Housing

Driveshaft Shop. I am using 54 3/4" at the C6 disc brake hubs. I have a note in my build folder that the stock C2 rear width is 56 3/4", although not sure, will have to confirm by measuring. Confirmed at 56 3/4" stock...
I am building my own RestoMod Tube chassis with a Currie 9 Inch IRS housing using C6 Corvette parts. I made my track width 54 3/4" at the C6 brake disc hub width. The housing is 11 3/8" wide with no axels. It is 14 1/2" wide using Porsche 129mm 934 axels. My lower A-arm tubing mount width is 11 1/2" inside dim in order to remove the housing and third member. You can go tighter and still get the third member out by removing the pinion gear first, which can be done on the 9 inch Ford but the housing will be there forever. Your housing looks wider than mine. Here are some pictures that show where I am at on the build. If you are at the DS Shop in Salibury, NC we are close as I am in SC just below Charlotte. You may want to see what I had to do to before you start your project. A 9 inch Corvette C5/C6 IRS can be used with stock fenders and wheels that have a nice offset for good looks. My rear wheels are 10 Inch wide 7 1/4" backspace 43mm offset. The car is a convertible although I plan to use the hardtop only. I like the look and fewer rattles. I designed, modeled, and did FEA analysis on my chassis in SolidWorks and it is four times stiffer than the stocker, so rattles may be minimized anyway. Here are some pictures to give you the idea of what you are up against. I have the stock chassis sitting in the garage if still need accurate measurements, but I think 54 3/4 is the one you need when using C5/C6 A-arms. Good Luck, Mike
Attached Images     

Last edited by mrichard; 09-04-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Building a 9" IRS need some help