C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1964 & 65 - Did you guys do this mod for rear blower

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 03:18 AM
1964*Air*Coupe
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1964 & 65 - Did you guys do this mod for rear blower

Just wanted to pass this along:

Last edited by 1964*Air*Coupe; 09-05-2015 at 03:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PSB (10-20-2022)
Old 09-05-2015, 05:47 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

I' pretty sure my rear blower operates on 3 speeds and its original wiring, I think? I'm going to check this out today, thanks for posting. Report back later.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2015, 08:40 AM
sshort67
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the information. My 64's does not work and I may try to fix it but have so many projects in front of it at this time. Heading to Billings, Missouri today for their annual parade. I have about eight pounds of candy to pass out to kids. Folks stand out in front of their homes and the parade route covers most of the town. The kids are very polite and most say "thank you". I like small town traditions.
The following users liked this post:
1960 (08-28-2021)
Old 09-05-2015, 04:58 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by sshort67
Thanks for the information. My 64's does not work and I may try to fix it but have so many projects in front of it at this time. Heading to Billings, Missouri today for their annual parade. I have about eight pounds of candy to pass out to kids. Folks stand out in front of their homes and the parade route covers most of the town. The kids are very polite and most say "thank you". I like small town traditions.
The PDF attached has some info I put together when I refurbed the rear blower in our '65 A/C coupe a number of years back. Hope this helps those of you who might venture into this area.

Dave Z
Attached Images
Old 09-05-2015, 05:12 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by VITIV Coupe
I' pretty sure my rear blower operates on 3 speeds and its original wiring, I think? I'm going to check this out today, thanks for posting. Report back later.
It probably does - the car, as built, works fine - it only goes wonky if you change the wiring in the connector to match the diagram in the shop manual; then it only has one speed. If you leave it alone, it's fine.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:35 PM
midstyle
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by VITIV Coupe
Why would you need a rear compartment exhaust fan way up at 49th parallel ? I was born & raised at 47.8 degrees latitude (Chapleau Ontario), and no way you'd catch me extracting warm air .

Looking forward to you reporting back re: 3 speeds, as I assume from all the manuals that the pull **** has 4 operating positions; first to open the vent chamber door, then 3 more for the Lo-Med-Hi motor speeds.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:37 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by midstyle
Why would you need a rear compartment exhaust fan way up at 49th parallel ? I was born & raised at 47.8 degrees latitude (Chapleau Ontario), and no way you'd catch me extracting warm air .

Looking forward to you reporting back re: 3 speeds, as I assume from all the manuals that the pull **** has 4 operating positions; first to open the vent chamber door, then 3 more for the Lo-Med-Hi motor speeds.
Pulling out the "cigarette" smoke and leaving the windows up because it's cold out.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:00 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

Well, went for a cruise yesterday (85F) and used my rear fan blower and it did have three speeds. Every time I pulled that lever out a little more I got another speed. All three worked and boy was it hot out Midstyle. lol
Old 09-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Gettysburg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 64 blower did (does) not work. The cable was tight. When I disconnected the cable at the blower, the cable slides through its housing without any resistance at all. The speed control lever on the blower works free and easy. When I connect the cable to the lever, it will not budge !!!! (it's a straight shot from the cable end to the connector) Does anyone know what might be causing this problem?
Old 09-07-2015, 08:02 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by gettysburg
My 64 blower did (does) not work. The cable was tight. When I disconnected the cable at the blower, the cable slides through its housing without any resistance at all. The speed control lever on the blower works free and easy. When I connect the cable to the lever, it will not budge !!!! (it's a straight shot from the cable end to the connector) Does anyone know what might be causing this problem?
Remove the control cable from the car, hang it vertically, and dribble sewing machine oil in the end while moving the internal wire back and forth to free up the cable. Let it hang that way for a day or so and re-install in the car.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

There are a couple of issues I have found with these blowers. First, apparently the A/C and the Non A/C cars have differing length cables and they are not interchangeable. Secondly, due to the very long run of the cable itself and all the turns, operation can be problematic when the motor switch gets stiff. I replaced all my wiring with new lectric limited and I only noticed 2 speeds. Now you got me curious and I will have to check it out by operating it directly from the switch. I like the way it sounds outside with the working vent operating , don't think it does much for heat though, but I made the decision to fix it since it is part of the intended function for 64's.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:49 PM
midstyle
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
, .......apparently the A/C and the Non A/C cars have differing length cables and they are not interchangeable.......
Yes -- Gr 9.787, 64-5 Cable (Sport Coupe) [exc. C.A.C., 36.5 gal tank], roof rear vent valve, 114_1/8" O.L.

Same but with C.A.C., roof rear vent valve, 125_1/8" O.L.

Without air attaches to instrument cluster bottom edge just inboard of headlight roll switch.

With A/C attaches to the extreme right of the cluster, next to the center console (therefore the extra 11 inches).

Get notified of new replies

To 1964 & 65 - Did you guys do this mod for rear blower

Quick Reply: 1964 & 65 - Did you guys do this mod for rear blower