C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Understanding "the wave".......

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 10:00 PM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow-I was trying to be a smart-a$$. I really don't care about the wave, and surely didn't care about a couple people not waving! A C1 isn't any better than a C7, nor is a C7 better than a C1. To each his own. I've read the threads where people make a big deal about being ignored by other enthusiasts. I don't care! That's kinda why I started this thread. We had an older gentleman in a minivan give us the thumbs-up today-meant more to me than any guy in a leased C7 doing the same.

Anyway, I really was trying to be a wise guy with my reply to my wife. Maybe you had to be there.

Thanks for the replies, all. Sweat the big things, not the little ones!

Mike
Old 09-19-2015, 10:13 PM
tangel2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not everyone understands at first.

Two weeks into dating my now wife, riding in both my vette and jeep, she finally remarked "Do you know everyone in this state or what???"

Nowadays she points out the jeeps (usually the 4-door versions) or vettes that don't wave...
Old 09-20-2015, 07:16 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I love these "wave" threads... Everyones story is the same, and yet different at the same time.

Mine started in High School when riding in a friends Triumph TR-4. I noticed he seemed to be waving to every sports car he saw and in most cases receiving a wave back. I asked him what that was all about and he said, "yea, all sports car folks wave to each other." To which I responded, cool, like motorcyclists all wave to each other, well most anyway!

A few years later I bought my first Corvette and immediately started waving to every sports car I encountered. Later on my first date in the Corvette my date asked the same question as Tangle's wife, "Do you know everyone in this state???" I just answered, "well not everyone", and smiled.

Many years later when driving with my teenage son, I would wave to every patrol car in our area that I encountered on the road. My son would ask if I knew that patrolman. I would always say, "of course that was Bill", or some other name that came to mind. By the time my son got his license, he was convinced I knew every police officer in a three county area, and we talked regularly! Occasionally I would mention that, "Officer Smith had seen him in his Tacoma the other day and told me to remind him to drive carefully." Before he went off to college, I had him convinced every police officer or patrolman in our area knew him and was watching him! If you haven't figured it out by now, the moral of the story is, if you want to keep your teenager safe, "save the wave" to every policeman (or woman) you see... at least when their in the car with you!

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 09-20-2015, 07:24 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

We never waved to anybody driving anything in the '60s with one exception. Going to and from the beach to surf...drivers would share the surf condition with a passing car that had a surfboard on top by holding a thumbs up, thumbs down or a shaking fist with thumb and little finger extended for a "so-so" surf...
Old 09-20-2015, 07:32 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
It's respect. I wave to anyone driving a old car. When I'm in my 94 I hardly get any waves from newer Vettes. But I don't care.
I, also, wave to anyone driving an old car, when I'm in one of my old cars, and usually get the return wave. However, on more than one occasion, I've forgotten I'm not in one of my old cars, and gave the wave to one who was.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:37 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
I love these "wave" threads... Everyones story is the same, and yet different at the same time.

Mine started in High School when riding in a friends Triumph TR-4. I noticed he seemed to be waving to every sports car he saw and in most cases receiving a wave back. I asked him what that was all about and he said, "yea, all sports car folks wave to each other." To which I responded, cool, like motorcyclists all wave to each other, well most anyway!

A few years later I bought my first Corvette and immediately started waving to every sports car I encountered. Later on my first date in the Corvette my date asked the same question as Tangle's wife, "Do you know everyone in this state???" I just answered, "well not everyone", and smiled.

Many years later when driving with my teenage son, I would wave to every patrol car in our area that I encountered on the road. My son would ask if I knew that patrolman. I would always say, "of course that was Bill", or some other name that came to mind. By the time my son got his license, he was convinced I knew every police officer in a three county area, and we talked regularly! Occasionally I would mention that, "Officer Smith had seen him in his Tacoma the other day and told me to remind him to drive carefully." Before he went off to college, I had him convinced every police officer or patrolman in our area knew him and was watching him! If you haven't figured it out by now, the moral of the story is, if you want to keep your teenager safe, "save the wave" to every policeman (or woman) you see... at least when their in the car with you!

Good luck... GUSTO
That's somewhat devious, but I kind of like it.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:40 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by danshill
I try to wave at every Vette I see. My experience is that I get more waves when driving the C2 and that includes motorcycles and other classic cars. Waves are rarely returned when driving the C7. It also seems that C7 owners are less likely to wave.
That should change. When C2s were new in late '62 and early '63, their drivers were too occupied with controlling and enjoying the car of our future to wave. And C1 drivers were too busy staring.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:22 PM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Although Chevy stopped making Vetts after 1960 (well maybe the SWC, and 67 BB) I always wave no matter what year vett it is just out of respect for the owner/driver, and I most always get a wave back.

I felt bad the other day. The guy must have thought I was a real jerk. Due to traffic, I just didn't see him until it was too late. My wife said that guy was waving like crazy at us. Oops.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:21 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

The other 2 were on the phone
Old 09-20-2015, 06:03 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I mostly wave at older vehicles (Vette or not). I never saw the point in acknowledging a new car and I don't always notice them.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:50 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

[QUOTE=AZDoug;1590525468]Some don't recognize older cars as Corvettes. Some probably have a superiority about their new car vs your old used one. Others probably simply don't wave, or are too preoccupied they don't see you waving.

It is one of those thing s I never worried too much about.

Doug[/QUOTE]

, except for the older drivers, I honestly don't think that many of the newer vette owners even recognize the older models. I wave to any vette or classic car I see and if they don't wave back... oh well.

Gary
Old 09-20-2015, 10:26 PM
BD104X
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 128 Posts

I wave to all Corvettes and any car with an attractive woman driving. My success rate on the return waves is much better with the Corvettes.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:29 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

If I miss your wave it's because I'm busy looking down at my temperature gauge.

Ray
Old 09-20-2015, 11:41 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
If I miss your wave it's because I'm busy looking down at my temperature gauge.

Ray
Old 09-20-2015, 11:56 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Here's the answer to the problem of not waving to everyone who waves at you.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:56 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Wow, we haven't had a "guys in newer cars don't wave at my older car" thread in, what, weeks?

Where's everybody been?
Old 09-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Wow, we haven't had a "guys in newer cars don't wave at my older car" thread in, what, weeks?

Where's everybody been?
Hey, l thought only members were allowed sarcasm, not the moderators.

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Understanding "the wave".......

Old 09-21-2015, 01:18 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Hey, l thought only members were allowed sarcasm, not the moderators.

Gary

We can do it too, but I wind up going back and deleting most of them.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 09-21-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:02 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369

Where's everybody been?
agree,
I especially liked how this one started, with a comment "that I don't give a sh*t about whether anyone waves or not at other corvette drivers, but".
One would think if that were actually true, one would not go to the trouble to write on the web about people who do not return a wave. It really does seem to be much ado over nothing.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:59 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65hihp
agree,
I especially liked how this one started, with a comment "that I don't give a sh*t about whether anyone waves or not at other corvette drivers, but".
One would think if that were actually true, one would not go to the trouble to write on the web about people who do not return a wave. It really does seem to be much ado over nothing.
How astute Sigmund.

Gary

Quick Reply: Understanding "the wave".......