C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Visor question for C1s........

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 01:59 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Visor question for C1s........

I broke one of the tiny visor screws off inside the top cross bar of the windshield frame when I was working on them. Someone had stripped the clutch screw heads and when I took it out it broke what was left of it off inside the frame. Anyone have a trick to get the stub out? It's about three eighths of an inch down. I can almost get the new screw to catch on the threads left but then it lets go.

I know I can drill it out, but I'm looking for an easier way. :
Old 10-04-2015, 06:03 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
I broke one of the tiny visor screws off inside the top cross bar of the windshield frame when I was working on them. Someone had stripped the clutch screw heads and when I took it out it broke what was left of it off inside the frame. Anyone have a trick to get the stub out? It's about three eighths of an inch down. I can almost get the new screw to catch on the threads left but then it lets go.

I know I can drill it out, but I'm looking for an easier way. :
I got' a idea....

Recently I had many of the #10 screws seized in a front header on a '59.These hold the header weatherstrip retainer, into small T-nuts behind the tack strip. IIRC the visor screws are that size too.

I have several left-hand drills in the toolbox. Works great. Got all of them out fine. Between the heat of the cutting, and the CCW drilling, they zipped right out after just a little depth. I forget where I got them but maybe a high quality local hardware store has them or can get them for you, or try online.

A few pics.....At the close-ups of the drill bit, look closely, you'll see the flutes are opposite of the normal CW drill.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by rich5962
I got' a idea....

Recently I had many of the #10 screws seized in a front header on a '59.These hold the header weatherstrip retainer, into small T-nuts behind the tack strip. IIRC the visor screws are that size too.

I have several left-hand drills in the toolbox. Works great. Got all of them out fine. Between the heat of the cutting, and the CCW drilling, they zipped right out after just a little depth. I forget where I got them but maybe a high quality local hardware store has them or can get them for you, or try online.

A few pics.....At the close-ups of the drill bit, look closely, you'll see the flutes are opposite of the normal CW drill.
Well ya learn something everyday they say, and that's the first time I've ever seen left hand bits. Great idea. Now where the heck to get them here.........
Old 10-04-2015, 11:42 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,899 Likes on 882 Posts

I have had good luck with left handed bits too!

First time I used them, I thought it was the craziest thing because they worked incredibly well.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:48 AM
ryan22
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

I had to click this thread just to see Kerrmudgeon's latest avatar !

Consistently the best in the entire site. The latest even in time with the season. Maybe you can find some more eye candy Halloween costumes ?

Old 10-05-2015, 01:41 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Well ya learn something everyday they say, and that's the first time I've ever seen left hand bits. Great idea. Now where the heck to get them here.........
I ordered a set from Fleabay (of the carbide drill bit version). They come in a 10 piece set of 5 sizes, a case, and with extractors, but hopefully you won't need to use them. Cost was $13.95 with free shipping.

Just search for: 10pc Easy Out Screw Extractor Set Left Hand Cobalt Drill Bit Broken Bolt Remover

plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 10-05-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:37 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

Also, BTW.......

I forgot to mention. I usually drill a CW regular bit smaller hole in the middle of the screw down a bit(as shown in my screw pics above), to make sure the CCW bit goes on center.

For a broken screw in the header trim for the visors, make sure you get it on center so you don't damage the threads in the nut plate bracket. They're really soft and only have about 3 threads for the screw.

Also, to hold the round header trim, whenever I have one apart I test fit the trim screws and use a vise-grip to squeeze them back in shape. You'll be happy you did this when you attach the r header attach screws after a windshield replacement. I learned the hard way about 28 years ago.

==
Old 10-05-2015, 07:28 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Also be very careful in the area around the windshield when drilling or using any metal tool around the windshield glass.
If you touch the polished edge of the windshield it will crack very easily.
Don't ask me how I know.
Bruce B

Get notified of new replies

To Visor question for C1s........

Quick Reply: Visor question for C1s........