C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 right turn signal lamp

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 07:52 PM
TX63CONV
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 63 right turn signal lamp

I have an interesting electrical issue that maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I recently replaced all my small gauges with new reproductions, replaced the dash and engine wire harness with LL. I have not installed the column yet but I do have the turn signal switch from the column installed (and hanging on the brake pedal).

When the lights are in the parking light position, the right turn signal in the dash is solid on (not blinking), the parking light/turn indicator at the front of the car is out--all other parking lights are on.

When the lights are in the ON position, this goes away.

When I turn on the right turn signal, the rear tail light flashes but the front lights just BARELY 'pulse' both sides.

The left turn signal works fine. I have tried two turn signal switches and they both do it.

I have my original hazard flasher in the fuse block, no steering column, I also do not have the switch for the roll up HL buckets installed.

Thoughts? The horn is not hooked up either.

I had an earlier post about my light switch and the number of pins.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ht-switch.html
Old 10-07-2015, 08:11 AM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TX63CONV
I have an interesting electrical issue that maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I recently replaced all my small gauges with new reproductions, replaced the dash and engine wire harness with LL. I have not installed the column yet but I do have the turn signal switch from the column installed (and hanging on the brake pedal).

When the lights are in the parking light position, the right turn signal in the dash is solid on (not blinking), the parking light/turn indicator at the front of the car is out--all other parking lights are on.

When the lights are in the ON position, this goes away.

When I turn on the right turn signal, the rear tail light flashes but the front lights just BARELY 'pulse' both sides.

The left turn signal works fine. I have tried two turn signal switches and they both do it.

I have my original hazard flasher in the fuse block, no steering column, I also do not have the switch for the roll up HL buckets installed.

Thoughts? The horn is not hooked up either.

I had an earlier post about my light switch and the number of pins.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ht-switch.html

What I found in mine was the socket turned inside the housing and was not making contact with the prongs on the bulb, causing all sorts of havic.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:24 AM
TX63CONV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by prestige6
What I found in mine was the socket turned inside the housing and was not making contact with the prongs on the bulb, causing all sorts of havic.
I'll try making sure it has a good connection. It is the dark blue wire that goes to the right turn signal? I feel like it is either a bad ground somewhere or the HL light switch.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:48 AM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TX63CONV
I'll try making sure it has a good connection. It is the dark blue wire that goes to the right turn signal? I feel like it is either a bad ground somewhere or the HL light switch.
I meant the parking lamp itself,in front of the car.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:22 AM
6D2148
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts

Run a ground wire from negative - bat termial to where the column bolts under dash cluster, see if that fixes it. Chip
Old 10-07-2015, 12:08 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

The front lights ground on the radiator support. Run a ground wire from there to the BASE of the bulbs (brass part). Try the right front first. It sounds like you're either missing a ground, or you have the wrong type bulb in the socket. It could also be a bad socket or the connector just back from the socket could be wired wrong or bad. I read recently that one of the new harnesses being sold had two wires switched, but I don't recall the particulars.
It won't be in the light switch for sure.

Seems like it may have been JohnZ that mentioned the wiring error
Old 10-07-2015, 06:16 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Seems like it may have been JohnZ that mentioned the wiring error
As I recall, that was an error on the factory diagram for the '64 or '65 LH side high and low beam headlamps; Lectric Limited made a run of the headlamp harnesses made exactly to the GM diagram, and there were problems - just took pulling a couple of wires from their connector cavities and swapping them to fix the issue. That was quite a while ago.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:02 PM
TX63CONV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnZ
As I recall, that was an error on the factory diagram for the '64 or '65 LH side high and low beam headlamps; Lectric Limited made a run of the headlamp harnesses made exactly to the GM diagram, and there were problems - just took pulling a couple of wires from their connector cavities and swapping them to fix the issue. That was quite a while ago.
Ok, this is a 63 but I have had it for a while. I dont think it is a ground issue at the front parking lamp as it worked prior to pulling the cluster.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:41 PM
TX63CONV
Burning Brakes

More info. If I remove the right blinker cluster bulb. The turn signals work properly when the parking lights are on. When I turn the parking lights off, the left works but the right front doesnt.

Also, when I remove the emergency flasher from the fuse box, nothing. I thought the flashers flashed? Nothing works. Could this be it?
Old 10-08-2015, 09:37 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

This may be just a nomenclature problem, but 1963 Corvettes did not come with four way emergency flashers. The flasher for the turn signals (left or right, but not both) is the only flasher they had. If your car has been modified to provide emergency flashers, the stock wiring diagrams won't match.

P.S.
The most common causes of turn/brake/parking light problems are 1) bad grounds causing electricity to flow along paths it was not intended to follow, and 2) the turn signal switch at the base of the steering column is not returning to the centered position when the turn signal stalk does.

Last edited by kellsdad; 10-08-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:08 AM
TX63CONV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kellsdad
This may be just a nomenclature problem, but 1963 Corvettes did not come with four way emergency flashers. The flasher for the turn signals (left or right, but not both) is the only flasher they had. If your car has been modified to provide emergency flashers, the stock wiring diagrams won't match.

P.S.
The most common causes of turn/brake/parking light problems are 1) bad grounds causing electricity to flow along paths it was not intended to follow, and 2) the turn signal switch at the base of the steering column is not returning to the centered position when the turn signal stalk does.
Thanks, I wasnt sure about the 4 way flashers or not. I just know that the "flasher" that is in there is not original. Doesnt look like the vendors sell an original one but that the Tridon 552 is a good substitute.

I will say that when I cleaned the front turn signal bulb, it at least began to work. Now I need to figure out the right turn signal indicator in the dash to see why it stays on when the lights are on. I am going to replace the bulb.

Get notified of new replies

To 63 right turn signal lamp

Quick Reply: 63 right turn signal lamp