C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Restoration Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
Pretty sure this car is a 66. It came with a power antenna when new, just not the power antenna that is on it now.

You're correct, I must have picked up the 67 off the hub cap post.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jeht
Should this be applied with a rag or use a soft bristled brush?
Throw away rags will hold the lacquer thinner longer, it dries on a brush in about 20 seconds. But use the brush on thick, greasy areas.

A good follow up is full strength Simple Green and water in a spray bottle to remove any streaks from the SG.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Jeht
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have the Corvette Expo coming in town for the fall show, can anyone tell me if there will be people associated with judging that can look at the car to determine the authenticity? I would like to know where the car stands in relations to restoration plans?

Is there any way this car could be called a survivor having been painted one time in the 70's and everything else untouched?

Thanks again for all the info everyone has provided.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:07 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,939 Likes on 4,780 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

We have the Corvette Expo coming in town for the fall show, can anyone tell me if there will be people associated with judging that can look at the car to determine the authenticity? I would like to know where the car stands in relations to restoration plans?

Is there any way this car could be called a survivor having been painted one time in the 70's and everything else untouched?

Having been repainted you can never call it a survivor. Im sorry it's just a good honest old car. Clean it up make it safe and enjoy the car Unless you are very handy doing mechanical work avoid a body off resto at all cost. For one most people get over there head in skill sets and financially and there left with a car all tore apart and can't drive and enjoy it.

If this car runs and drives as is. Leave it running and driving and restore it as you go.
The following users liked this post:
Jeht (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 03:25 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Having been repainted you can never call it a survivor. Im sorry it's just a good honest old car. Clean it up make it safe and enjoy the car Unless you are very handy doing mechanical work avoid a body off resto at all cost. For one most people get over there head in skill sets and financially and there left with a car all tore apart and can't drive and enjoy it.

If this car runs and drives as is. Leave it running and driving and restore it as you go.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:28 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Get in touch with these guys. I'd bet they would really like to see the car.
http://www.ncrs.org/sechapter/?page_id=14
The following users liked this post:
Jeht (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 03:51 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

I guess I'm the only one but that frame is begging to be sand blasted and painted. I know it's a job removing body but that's what I would do. That way you could easily rebuild any components on the frame that would need rebuilding. Leaving rust on the frame makes the car worth more, don't think so. Needs repaint also.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I would definitely strongly consider taking your car to the Expo and getting some knowledgable opinions on it. Just take what they give you with a grain of salt - as in many (most?) things, the loudest guy may know the least, but likes to hear his own voice even more.

As far as the repaint gives, in the truest sense of the word, a repaint pretty much kills ever calling it a bona-fide survivor, so don't get hung up on trying to save it too much.

FWIW, my '65 has a early 80s repaint that has held up pretty well, and gives me enough breathing room to take care of it's more pressing problems until I get around to a repaint.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:36 PM
Jeht
Advanced

Could forum members give a ballpark price of what cars in this condition a selling for? I looked for one year before purchasing this coupe. I know its all in what someone is willing to pay but just curious to know if I paid too much or in line with current market prices?
Old 10-11-2015, 10:55 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,266 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Why don't you tell us what you paid, and we'll tell you what we think of your buy.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:22 PM
Jeht
Advanced

Originally Posted by 65hihp
Why don't you tell us what you paid, and we'll tell you what we think of your buy.
Say I paid 40K??
Not looking to flip or sell, just what prices they are demanding is all.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:28 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,266 Likes on 1,687 Posts

I would say well sold at 40.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:07 AM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Could forum members give a ballpark price of what cars in this condition a selling for? I looked for one year before purchasing this coupe. I know its all in what someone is willing to pay but just curious to know if I paid too much or in line with current market prices?
Ballpark

https://www.hagerty.com/price-guide/...rolet-Corvette
Old 10-12-2015, 04:21 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

You need to check out a thread by Jasonsamara

He has a similar-ish 66 Coupe in Milano.

The whole thread series would be very interesting for you...

1966 Corvette

Just need to vent!

I still don't have the car but, I had a nice break today!

1966 Corvette (2)

I'm now the very happy 2nd owner of a 1966 Corvette!

1966 Factory Paint Question

Update on my 66

Not trying to out/embarrass Jason, but he may have some of your questions answered in his threads. Jason is a great guy so you might want to PM him. Its guys like him that let the "original generation" of Corvette owners know that the hobby will be in good hands when they are gone.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:28 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

First of all, welcome to the C1/C2 section of the CF. Lots of great advice here, as you're already finding out. FWIW, I join in the group who says keep it safe (do whatever is needed for belts, hoses, brakes, etc.) and then just drive it. Don't do anything else until you've owned it for at least a year, to get the sense of what you want to do. After all, once you make a change to the components, you'll most likely not be able to "go back". Enjoy your ride; its great looking just the way it is.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:54 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I think that is a solid buy at 40-ish, and this is important - "from here" since I can't touch it or see it myself.

The lack of molestation it has suffered drives me to that conclusion. The field of cars between 35K and 45K is crowded for these cars, such as it is, and conditions and desirability is wide in a tight price range.

Looking forward to see where you decide to go with your new pride and joy.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:28 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Jeht, you made the right choice. Restored cars are everywhere, but original/survivor type cars are getting more and more scarce. I too love the look of your car. In April, I ran into a '61 that had been sitting since 1992 or so, and rarely driven since the early '80's. It was inside an airplane hanger, so it didn't degrade much. Mine is mostly original paint (I think) or a very old laquer re-paint, with lots of blems. It polished out ok, though, and looks good from 10 feet away. I ended up redoing the cooling system, head gaskets, brakes, etc., but it's a great driver and people love it. I would get the mechanical up to snuff and detail it, and then enjoy. Here's a before and after of mine...........with my mom behind the wheel!
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To Restoration Question

Old 10-12-2015, 01:31 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Jeht, you made the right choice. Restored cars are everywhere, but original/survivor type cars are getting more and more scarce. I too love the look of your car. In April, I ran into a '61 that had been sitting since 1992 or so, and rarely driven since the early '80's. It was inside an airplane hanger, so it didn't degrade much. Mine is mostly original paint (I think) or a very old laquer re-paint, with lots of blems. It polished out ok, though, and looks good from 10 feet away. I ended up redoing the cooling system, head gaskets, brakes, etc., but it's a great driver and people love it. I would get the mechanical up to snuff and detail it, and then enjoy. Here's a before and after of mine...........with my mom behind the wheel!
Yours looks nice as is, his does not. At what point does a so called survivor car not worth keeping as a survivor and should be restored.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:40 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

There's no right or wrong answer to when a car should be restored. Everyone would answer differently, and Jeht's is the only answer that matters. As earlier advised, why not make it look as good as you can without major work now, drive it, enjoy it, and think about it. No point in painting it if you're going to restore it. Tanks for the pics of the blems, Jeht, but I still think it looks great. Are you sure that's not original paint?
Old 10-12-2015, 08:49 PM
Jeht
Advanced

Originally Posted by Todd H.
There's no right or wrong answer to when a car should be restored. Everyone would answer differently, and Jeht's is the only answer that matters. As earlier advised, why not make it look as good as you can without major work now, drive it, enjoy it, and think about it. No point in painting it if you're going to restore it. Tanks for the pics of the blems, Jeht, but I still think it looks great. Are you sure that's not original paint?
Thank you guys for your wealth of knowledge and answering questions.
I will be taking the car for inspection to determine that very question regarding the paint being original or not before I ultimately decide the route to be taken? If it turns out to be original, there will be no decision to be made. Just clean it and drive!

Quick Reply: Restoration Question