C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'64 Stalled and now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 01:37 PM
manduck
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '64 Stalled and now wont start

I was driving my 1964 last weekend and out of nowhere it stalled out on me. The engine turns over, I am getting spark (I checked via a lead) and there is gas in the tank. It is acting like it is out of gas and there is very little/no fuel in the in-line fuel filter that resides between the fuel pump and the carb.

I tried spraying some carb cleaner into the carb but it would not fire up (guessing the floats are empty).

It had been hard to start the last few times - again like it wasn't getting gas. I had just chalked this up to "being cold" and not driven in a few weeks.

I am guessing fuel pump but there aren't any noises coming from it and I didn't think these old pumps were prone to just going out - I mean it is a pretty basic design.

My other guess is E85 eating/blocking my fuel line but as most of it is a hard line with only the small pickup from the tank and the line from the pump to carb (which I replaced recently due to a split) I am thinking this is a goose chase.

Thoughts?

Car is stock 300HP 327 with 4 speed.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:54 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by manduck
I was driving my 1964 last weekend and out of nowhere it stalled out on me. The engine turns over, I am getting spark (I checked via a lead) and there is gas in the tank. It is acting like it is out of gas and there is very little/no fuel in the in-line fuel filter that resides between the fuel pump and the carb.

I tried spraying some carb cleaner into the carb but it would not fire up (guessing the floats are empty).

It had been hard to start the last few times - again like it wasn't getting gas. I had just chalked this up to "being cold" and not driven in a few weeks.

I am guessing fuel pump but there aren't any noises coming from it and I didn't think these old pumps were prone to just going out - I mean it is a pretty basic design.

My other guess is E85 eating/blocking my fuel line but as most of it is a hard line with only the small pickup from the tank and the line from the pump to carb (which I replaced recently due to a split) I am thinking this is a goose chase.

Thoughts?

Car is stock 300HP 327 with 4 speed.
I think your (not getting gas is correct). It wont fire up on carb cleaner, so try a bit of gas. I pour some down the carb vent tube to fill the bowl. With the engine off, see ir the accelerator pump is squirting into the carb. Start lookin for a pump.

Dom
Old 10-19-2015, 03:18 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Read through this thread. I've seen it personally on a club member's car. Check the pin Frankie shows in post #6.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...p-problem.html
Old 10-20-2015, 09:39 AM
manduck
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Read through this thread. I've seen it personally on a club member's car. Check the pin Frankie shows in post #6.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...p-problem.html

Thanks for the link - I did try disconnecting the line and bumping the engine to check for fuel flow (there was none), but I didn't know about the magic pin on the pump. I will look for that this evening.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

I have had my 60 Vette dump me on road twice, both times the pin fell out of fuel pump, one delco and one airtex.

Bill
Old 10-20-2015, 01:17 PM
manduck
Intermediate

Thanks Bill.
Fingers crossed this is all that it is.

Although I must say I am not thrilled by your story of being stranded two times by pins falling out - one more thing to be paranoid about going forward.

Andy
Old 10-20-2015, 02:01 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by manduck
Thanks Bill.
Fingers crossed this is all that it is.

Although I must say I am not thrilled by your story of being stranded two times by pins falling out - one more thing to be paranoid about going forward.

Andy
Send AirTex an email and ask them if they know where you can get a pump that the pin won't fall out. You might be surprised at what they say. That is, if that's really your problem.

Get notified of new replies

To '64 Stalled and now wont start

Quick Reply: '64 Stalled and now wont start