C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Selling and need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 10:09 AM
1966STER
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Selling and need some help!

I'm selling my 1966 BB Corvette and unfortunately like a lot of folks I don't have the original window sticker or invoice.

I'm certain the car is original due to the overwhelming component correctness and 25 years of solid ownership history; however, I have no way to prove this.

I'm looking for some wording that I can put on the bill of sale that will protect me such as: Buyer accepts car as is and with out benefit of original window sticker or original invoice.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you !!
Old 10-31-2015, 10:25 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by 1966STER
I'm selling my 1966 BB Corvette and unfortunately like a lot of folks I don't have the original window sticker or invoice.

I'm certain the car is original due to the overwhelming component correctness and 25 years of solid ownership history; however, I have no way to prove this.

I'm looking for some wording that I can put on the bill of sale that will protect me such as: Buyer accepts car as is and with out benefit of original window sticker or original invoice.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you !!
As long as you don't misrepresent the Corvette you don't have a problem. I tell people what you see is what you get. Once it hits the end of the drive way the buyer owns it No warranty no buyer remorse refunds. I put on the bill of sale AS IS. Good luck with the sale.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:46 PM
haccpguy
54 Vette Rod
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This vehicle is being sold as is, where is, with no warranty, expressed written or implied.

Seller is not responsible for the authenticity, genuineness, or defects herein, and makes no warranty in connection therewith.

Last edited by haccpguy; 10-31-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:13 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I see you're located in Mass. You don't need a bill of sale. You only need to sign the title on the back and assign it to the new owner. IMO it's up to the buyer to do his due diligence when he inspects it. Most of the paperwork went in the waste basket on alot of these old cars. I'm more suspect of the cars that have all these documents. They were never available over the years until these cars became more valuable.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:39 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,014 Likes on 578 Posts

All private used car sales are sold "caveat emptor".
As long as you do not put any written claims of authenticity or give mechanical guarantees in a bill of sale, the sale is as is / where is, you bought it / you own it.
The only possible exception I can think of is if the car was proven to be stolen at one time and then gets taken away from the person you sold it to and returned to a rightful owner or insurance company. If this happens, I believe in some states you can be be sued for damages.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:15 AM
396/425
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Quit wringing your hands over it. Its simple. Give an honest description. If its a decent car at a fair price youll sell it. If its a POS at a ridiculous price you wont. MOST cars arent all original. Trust me. Just "keep it real." You dont need a bunch of "paperwork" The lawyers havent ruined this part of the hobby yet. Calm down and have fun with it.
I usually underplay my cars i sell so when they get here they to look they are surprised (in a good way).... it sets a tone. Good luck.

The only comment i have is why not wait til spring? This isnt the best time to sell a toy car.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:39 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

There is no such thing as a totally original car. There is a continuum. Some cars are more original than others. Each marque defines "originality" differently.

Here's an article I wrote last month about all of this.

Richard Newton

Last edited by rfn026; 11-01-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

"Sold upon personal inspection and acceptance of the buyer." (signed by the buyer)

I also found this one by an auction site.

The property is offered "as is, where is" with no express or implied warranty whatsoever. The property is used. The stated condition of the property is solely an opinion of seller. seller makes no warranties or guarantees, expressed or implied, as to the condition or quality of the items offered or fitness for particular purpose or fitness for use in general.

Last edited by Roger Walling; 11-02-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Selling and need some help!

Quick Reply: Selling and need some help!