C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

EFI fuel line routing

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:55 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Vettrocious
That certainly is true at the pressures of the Rochester system, the question is, though, will the fuel percolate at the pressures present in the EFI lines. I sorta doubt it, though, if it gets hot enough, I suppose it could...
my injectors are LS2 injectors rated at 45lbs and my regulator is set to 37lbs. good/bad/indifferent, it works. don't know what you are planning on using.
Bill
Old 11-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,120 Likes on 576 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Seems like the safest route is to go with a loop and make fuel rails that look like separate nozzle blocks, but aren't. I could alleviate any heat concerns by insulating the lines like I did on this car when it ran the original Rochester system...

That worked fine...come to think of it, why am I changing?

The injectors are LS2, I think, they were recommended by FAST. I don't know the pressure for the eight injector, port injection system, yet, although it was to be 43 when there were only four injectors on a throttle body... I'll get with FAST this week on that.

Last edited by Vettrocious; 11-01-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:10 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Seems like the safest route is to go with a loop and make fuel rails that look like separate nozzle blocks, but aren't. I could alleviate any heat concerns by insulating the lines like I did on this car when it ran the original Rochester system...

That worked fine...come to think of it, why am I changing?
if it wasn't for the C1 perc problem I'd still be running the Rochester... or, if I'd have had access to a C2 fuel meter and spider with the return line that I could have installed in the C1 plenum, I might still be running Rochester...

but, necessity is the mother of invention; and I have no drivability problems anymore (I do think I did lose a mpg or so tho..., although I averaged about 25mpg with the a/c on on a trip to Clermont today)

Last edited by wmf62; 11-01-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wmf62
if it wasn't for the C1 perc problem I'd still be running the Rochester... or, if I'd have had access to a C2 fuel meter and spider with the return line that I could have installed in the C1 plenum, I might still be running Rochester...

but, necessity is the mother of invention; and I have no drivability problems anymore (I do think I did lose a mpg or so tho..., although I averaged about 25mpg with the a/c on on a trip to Clermont today)
The blue car in my avatar still has its Rochester, and really, it runs great now that its fuel lines have insulation all over them.

I sorta figured that by adding AC to the silver car in the rebuild, I was pushing my luck with the Rochester, especially on a car that will be driven a lot in the heat.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:43 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

The blue car in my avatar still has its Rochester, and really, it runs great now that its fuel lines have insulation all over them.

I sorta figured that by adding AC to the silver car in the rebuild, I was pushing my luck with the Rochester, especially on a car that will be driven a lot in the heat.
I've always had Rochester (for over 30 years), and a/c since 2006, and I NEVER had a problem until we got ethanol in our gas; and then, only in the summer around town. and never had a problem with ethanol when the ambient temp was about 75 or below.

BUT, EFI will/should solve all those problems... good luck, I think your line routing is clever; if I can help, let me know.

oh well....
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 11-01-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I've always had Rochester (for over 30 years), and a/c since 2006, and I NEVER had a problem until we got ethanol in our gas; and then, only in the summer around town. and never had a problem with ethanol when the ambient temp was about 75 or below.

BUT, EFI will/should solve all those problems... good luck, I think your line routing is clever; if I can help, let me know.

oh well....
Bill
OK, thanks. I'm sure there're be more questions as I go...
Old 11-02-2015, 03:26 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

giving it some thought... it's going to be a bit crowded trying to fit all that 'stuff' under the plenum... I can't think of any reason why the pressure regular can't be located in the return line in some other convenient place.

BUT, if Doug is correct, and 'modern' EFI systems use a return directly from the regulator to the tank, then maybe that is worth considering; if for no other reason than not having to run an additional line.... I just think having a return line, and the regulator within that line, is a way to provide a more stable pressure to the injectors.
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 11-02-2015 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:08 AM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

giving it some thought... it's going to be a bit crowded trying to fit all that 'stuff' under the plenum... I can't think of any reason why the pressure regular can't be located in the return line in some other convenient place.

BUT, if Doug is correct, and 'modern' EFI systems use a return directly from the regulator to the tank, then maybe that is worth considering; if for no other reason than not having to run an additional line.... I just think having a return line, and the regulator within that line, is a way to provide a more stable pressure to the injectors.
Bill
I agree, I think both the loop and the return line with the regulator are the best way. I'd rather not deal with problems later that I can prevent now, so I'll plan on that.

The body is off the frame and the new fuel tank has a port for a return, so a return line is no big deal. I'll deal with the heat by shielding the lines within the air filter. The regulator is pretty small, once I get the filter canister modified (or more likely, make a new one), it might fit in there with the lines. The canister has a 55 sq in cross section, the air inlet is only 12 sq in, so there's lots of room for stuff in there without restricting air flow...I'm thinking of milling it in two pieces of aluminum that hinge and open like a clam shell to expose the stuff I put in there.
Mike
Old 11-02-2015, 07:27 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

I agree, I think both the loop and the return line with the regulator are the best way. I'd rather not deal with problems later that I can prevent now, so I'll plan on that.

The body is off the frame and the new fuel tank has a port for a return, so a return line is no big deal. I'll deal with the heat by shielding the lines within the air filter. The regulator is pretty small, once I get the filter canister modified (or more likely, make a new one), it might fit in there with the lines. The canister has a 55 sq in cross section, the air inlet is only 12 sq in, so there's lots of room for stuff in there without restricting air flow...I'm thinking of milling it in two pieces of aluminum that hinge and open like a clam shell to expose the stuff I put in there.
Mike
I would be interested in seeing a sketch of what the 'clamshell' looks like and what you are going to put in there.
Bill
Old 11-02-2015, 10:39 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

No fuel perc, when motor is off, injectors are closed, and the injectors at idle are only open for the smallest fraction of second, plus the pressure...

All modern EFI systems are dead headed, since the last 15 years or so, maybe earlier.

Doug

I forsee one potential BIG problem if you have the distribution blocks & lines run between the adapter manifold and the plenum AND you deadhead the nozzles'; fuel percolation, just like the C1s experience.

if you have the regulator at the end of the fuel loop, although Doug says heated fuel returns to the tank, you at least have continuous flow of 'cooler' fuel in the neighborhood of the injectors and less chance of perc.
Bill

but, then, EFI injector fuel line pressure is higher than the Rochester at engine idle, so maybe perc wouldn't be a problem... dunno... food for thought...
Old 11-02-2015, 11:40 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by AZDoug
No fuel perc, when motor is off, injectors are closed, and the injectors at idle are only open for the smallest fraction of second, plus the pressure...

All modern EFI systems are dead headed, since the last 15 years or so, maybe earlier.

Doug
Doug
I realize I'm mixing fruit... apples & oranges; but as you know the Rochester has low nozzle pressure at idle and low speed, hence the 'perc'... due to engine heat; whereas EFI has a relative constant nozzle pressure, open or closed.

I have no clue what is sufficient line pressure to prevent perc...

it was just a thought..
Bill
Old 11-02-2015, 02:05 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I would be interested in seeing a sketch of what the 'clamshell' looks like and what you are going to put in there.
Bill
Well, me too, its sorta half baked...

Actually, its my preliminary intent to try to get the fuel lines and air flow path sealed in the lower half, with a flat horizontal divider at the midpoint of the cylinder. The upper portion would house the wiring and modules for the EFI. Obviously, I need to devise a way to insure the two are separate, insulated, and sealed that way, so I don't create a nice bomb...

Last edited by Vettrocious; 11-02-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:22 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Well, me too, its sorta half baked...

Actually, its my preliminary intent to try to get the fuel lines and air flow path sealed in the lower half, with a flat horizontal divider at the midpoint of the cylinder. The upper portion would house the wiring and modules for the EFI. Obviously, I need to devise a way to insure the two are separate, insulated, and sealed that way, so I don't create a nice bomb...
Old 11-02-2015, 10:07 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I believe the injectors are CAR-1 type which have been used in many applications for many years.
Mine are 32 pounds per hour at 43 psi fuel pressure. With the bypass regulator system the delivered pressure can be varied to change the effective fuel delivery of the injectors.
The current FAST systems can use a return (what I use) or a returnless system if you use a fuel pump which can be pulsed to control fuel pressure.
With the return system a bypass regular is used and the excess fuel is returned to the fuel tank.

Last edited by ohiovet; 11-02-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Thanks Bruce, good info on the injectors and pressure. FAST gives instructions for both set-ups, but recommends using a return. With the body off and a new tank already set up for a return, a return is easy to do...

I'm probably going to use a bypass regulator that I can adjust down to 6-10 lbs by (changing its spring), in case I want to go back to the mechanical FI some day...

Mike
Old 11-02-2015, 11:19 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Thanks Bruce, good info on the injectors and pressure. FAST gives instructions for both set-ups, but recommends using a return. With the body off and a new tank already set up for a return, a return is easy to do...

I'm probably going to use a bypass regulator that I can adjust down to 6-10 lbs by (changing its spring), in case I want to go back to the mechanical FI some day...

Mike

Mike ,
My fuel system is simple but functional and mounted on a aluminum plate which is mounted on the frame rail of my 57 Corvette.
It consists of a filter , the fuel pump then a bypass regulator most lines are 6AN socket less hose and fittings. I take the fuel out of the drain hole in the stock tank and return it through the stock fuel pickup line on the fuel level sender in the tank.
I have a heat shield to keep exhaust heat away from the fuel system.
It has worked for 3 years without a problem.
Bruce B
Name:  Hilborn on 57 023.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  1.83 MB
I have attached a picture.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:37 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

and I use an in-tank pump with the supply and return both in the same module
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To EFI fuel line routing

Old 11-03-2015, 07:56 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Bill,
Nice clean tank setup.
I used a Rock Vally tank with a in tank pump on my Ramjet 62.
What brand is the pump?
I love your setup, no doubt lots of thought went into it.
Very nice.
Bruce B
Old 11-03-2015, 10:12 AM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

and I use an in-tank pump with the supply and return both in the same module
Here's couple pics of my fuel pump and the tank, before pump installation...

The tank and pump are from Tanks Inc.

Last edited by Vettrocious; 11-03-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:03 AM
Rustman
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Mike what specific pump are you using from Tanks Inc for you system, 190 or 255?

Quick Reply: EFI fuel line routing