C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Advice on sealing intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 01:22 PM
Tiros
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Advice on sealing intake manifold

I have a small oil leak at the intake china wall junction. Got a small coolant leak sometimes at the thermostat housing. I figured I'd do the long overdue coolant flush and fill while knocking out both intake leaks.

I installed this intake a good 20 years ago. I remember the China wall area being a bitch to get right. The rubber seal kept squeezing out, lubed by the silicone. There was no internet to search for advice back then, just did the best I could. Its been fine but about 10 years ago I switch to Mobile 1, and developed small leak.

I ordered Felpro intake set 1210. It is blue. The end pieces appear to be a cork composite. I would like advice on the current best methods to seal the intake and the ends. Most importantly the China wall.

Is anything applied to the port gaskets?
What's the best way to handle the China wall?
What brand/type of sealant is preferred? (Been using ultra grey right stuff on my GTI)
Did I get the best sealing gasket set? Is the cork preferred to rubber these days?

Any opinion on this gasket for the Tstat?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fe...99caAm3Q8P8HAQ

Last edited by Tiros; 11-18-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:27 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Much info on this. I learned from the guys on this forum and a Chevy guy at work that the best route is to forego gaskets on the walls altogether and simply use a high quality sealant. If machine work has been done, the gaskets are too thick and will get squeezed out. Happened on my '61 in less than 50 miles. Used Toyota Silicone Sealer and it's totally leak free now. The Right Stuff is equivalent, and easier to use. Just let it set up for a few minutes before the install, make sure the intake is square, and let it set up overnight before filling with coolant for best results.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:43 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Throw away the 'cork' china wall gaskets and purchase 'RIGHT STUFF' sealant...

Apply a fairly large bead on the ends so it oozes out....once it dries overnight...clean off the excess with a razor knife.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:11 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Yep, what Jack & GTO said.

RTV sucks, no gasket and "The Right Stuff" = no leaks.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:32 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Right Stuff on the ends of the block and slightly up each end of the head = No leaks. Throw the manifold end seals/gaskets from the box in the trash.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:37 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

In lieu of using the cork/rubber suppled gasket a thick bead of Permatex RTV ultra gasket maker was used on the china walls. .. Sealed up nice, no leaks.

The intake manifold had to come off recently. While applying leverage on an intake manifold corner a single edge razor blade was used to cut into and slice along the length of gasket maker material. The same stuff was used on the china walls upon reassembly. Gasgacinch was used on the intake manifold gasket.

Using a gasket maker in place of cork/rubber gaskets on the china walls really works well.
John

Last edited by mrg; 11-18-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:09 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

My choice has always been and will continue to be rubber gaskets with a dab of silicone at each end.
Never had a leak.
Before installing the gaskets thoroughly clean the "china walls", use some tacky adhesive on the wall, place gasket on, wait a few minutes, install intake , your done.
Do not use RTV (room temperature vulcanize-able silicone polymer) to hold the gasket in place, it doesn't hold it in place , it lubricates it so it can squeeze out.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:35 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Try this:

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_...ntake_Swap.pdf

Old 11-18-2015, 09:28 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

The method in John's article works so well, the gasket makers on the newer GM vehicles ( and GM) don't even include the end seals anymore, just a tube of sealant in place. My 04 Silverado which I just did the intake R&R to fix a leak is a good example of this. Most of the new cars have eliminated many of the major gaskets we are accustomed to in favor of just a sealant
Old 11-18-2015, 09:48 PM
Faslane
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiovet
My choice has always been and will continue to be rubber gaskets with a dab of silicone at each end.
Never had a leak.
Before installing the gaskets thoroughly clean the "china walls", use some tacky adhesive on the wall, place gasket on, wait a few minutes, install intake , your done.
Do not use RTV (room temperature vulcanize-able silicone polymer) to hold the gasket in place, it doesn't hold it in place , it lubricates it so it can squeeze out.
Just my 2 cents.
yep! X2, i as well use the rubber gaskets, If you did not need them the set would not come with them.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:11 PM
Tiros
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Faslane
yep! X2, i as well use the rubber gaskets, If you did not need them the set would not come with them.
The consensus seems to be leave them off.
Personally I would feel better having something in actual compression rather than glued and hardened in place. It would seem I would relying on the bond to the metal rather than mechanical pressure...

However adhesives have come a long way...I intend to clean surfaces with acetone first. There are several flavors of "The Right Stuff". On my GTI, the Ultra Gray was called for, it says it is specifically for parts with many fasteners.

So what flavor/color Right Stuff should I use?
Is Gasgacinch the same as Permatex #2? Should I use that for the intake bolt threads as well?
Old 11-20-2015, 07:20 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiros
The consensus seems to be leave them off.
Personally I would feel better having something in actual compression rather than glued and hardened in place. It would seem I would relying on the bond to the metal rather than mechanical pressure...

However adhesives have come a long way...I intend to clean surfaces with acetone first. There are several flavors of "The Right Stuff". On my GTI, the Ultra Gray was called for, it says it is specifically for parts with many fasteners.

So what flavor/color Right Stuff should I use?
Is Gasgacinch the same as Permatex #2? Should I use that for the intake bolt threads as well?
The Right Stuff only comes in black.

Did the intake on my 92 LT1 6 years ago, absolutely dry.

How good is it? We sometimes change trans gear ratios at the track (the car in my avatar). Using RTV on the gearbox cover, it would leak right away (no set up time). Using TRS, we can take it on the track immediately - no leaks.

Use TRS on the intake and you can drive it right now. It won't harden up that much, stays semi flexible . And it's fairly easy to brake the seal with a putty knife if you ever need to pull the intake.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:14 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,519 Likes on 3,001 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Bill32
The Right Stuff only comes in black.

Using TRS, we can take it on the track immediately - no leaks.

Use TRS on the intake and you can drive it right now. It won't harden up that much, stays semi flexible ..

I've had the same experience with The Right Stuff and won't use anything else.

One of our track cars developed a valve cover leak. Cleaned it, laid down a bead of The Right Stuff, mooshed [technical term] the valve cover back on, and went back on track. No leaks.

The Right Stuff isn't cheap, but in IMHO it's worth every penny.

Jim
Old 11-20-2015, 08:17 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

NO. Gasgacinch is essentially sticky glue for placing/locating gaskets before/during assembly of components. Permatex #2 is a non-hardening sealant that works well for sealing threads (like SBC head bolts that go through the block deck into the water jackets).
Old 11-20-2015, 08:41 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Is Gasgacinch the same as Permatex #2?
Gasgascinch is the same as Permatex High Tack. Only the labels are different.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:09 PM
xsray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

which is the proper gasket set for a L79? Fel-Pro 1204, 1205 or 1206?
Old 11-23-2015, 03:26 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Gasgascinch is nothing more than contact cement.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Another procedure I learned years ago when I had my '90' C4. It leaked along the front and rear "china wall". With the intake manifold off and cleaned very well, I used a center punch and dimpled the wall and the bottom of the intake manifold in that area. Dimples were 1/8"-1/4" apart. Dimples don't have to be very deep just something you can feel with your finger nail. Then used "The Right Stuff" along the walls. This really gave the sealant something to grab to and it never even thought about leaking again. I learned this from somebody by the name of Jake on the C4 forum. I think he was out of Texas.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on sealing intake manifold

Quick Reply: Advice on sealing intake manifold